The New Offical Mutts of the House thread

• Thread starter Werks 4 da Man
  • Start date
  • Replies 4K
  • Views 290K
Looks like a GSD on steroids, behaves like a Malamute.

If you reversed those characteristics you would have the perfect dog!

Stig, interesting what you say about training constantly. I have a little Cairn terrier, they can be an absolute nightmare to train, extremely stubborn and selective hearing. Because he's with me constantly, and I do the same as you describe, he's brilliantly behaved. Like you say, he can't do a lot of tricks or commands, but his recall is instant and he knows to sit, stay, go to bed, go away, and does them instantly.

2013-07-05_16.32.43-1.jpg

Yup. Just integrate training into your daily life and it stops being a chore and works much better.

Pete, That mutt just melts my heart. Amazing that the mental side of the shepherd hasn't come through more.
All my dogs except the late Thais have been ½ shepherd ½ something else.
Usually in my experience the shepherd part makes them easily trainable.
The Pyreneean part of Sam showes through a lot.
He never runs off but he'll always be roaming a little further off than I care for if I'm not on his case.
He'll guard the home constantly, always monitoring the perimeter to see if there are predators coming in.
I was laying in the sun with Margot and him a couple of weeks ago and noticed how he constantly placed himself so he was between us and the drive way.
I would absolutely hate to have to train a pure pyreneean, but the shepherd part makes it work.

My last dog Thais was a pure white shepherd.
At age 1 he had to have an operation because one testicle wouldn't descend,
at age 6 he succumbed to that hereditary deterioration of the crucial ligament thing.
A wonderful, super well behaved dog.
No more pure breds for me, thanks!

I am, and always have been, a firm believer in hybrid vigour.
Only reason I got Thais was because my ex-wife liked white shepherds and that way I could talk her into getting another dog.

One thing though.
If you can't train a white shepherd, you probably shouldn't own a dog.
Man, they are easy.

I put it to you that when you said you had finished your sandwich you were( to say the least) being economical with the truth.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 36
Lol. I had to run off a neighbors dog today. Not enjoyable but I don't abide random mutts hanging around. I got enough of my own.

Oh Pig doesn't know she looks different...

Penny is a Australian Cattle Dog cut with something, I think Pitbull, but the vet says
she's probably all cattle dog, being it's a mix of 5-6 breeds.
I don't know she's from the pound and ain't got no papers.

Penny smiles because she knows she's got a second chance.
She had an appointment to be put down on a friday and I picked her up on the thursday before.
She was only 3 and they were gonna nuke her. She's 9 now and holds her own here in the city just fine.

Great story, good for you and her. When I see pictures of dog homes it seems the problem is people picking the wrong breed. Staffordshire bull terriers for example. The shelters are full of them. Lovely dogs in the right situation. Not in a council flat with kids. Chavs use them and other "tough" breeds as status symbols.
A pox on them I say.

Yah. It's crazy. I was cutting and cleaning up some limbs between two homes the other day. These two young guys couldn't control their two pittys from attacking each other while defending the fence. Ridiculous, they were scared of their own dogs.

Pennys looking good I'm up to 3 ACDs 2 red girls and a blue boy

Attachments

• 20140922_181928.jpg
    20140922_181928.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 70
  • FB_IMG_1404021610557.jpg
    FB_IMG_1404021610557.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 70
Back