The New Offical Mutts of the House thread

• Thread starter Werks 4 da Man
  • Start date
  • Replies 4K
  • Views 291K
RIp Pup...

Was hard to watch Lilly with losing her kitty. She is doing better with her new kitty. Still tough to look at her pictures she drew of her and Jess though. Even she gets a sad face when she sees them.

Sorry to hear it, Eric. Life lessons come from it, though. Losing someone/thing you loved can teach you to appreciate things while you have them, and that all things are impermanent.

YESSIR!! Fine looking pup. M and I had a much loved GSP before Jasper. He was the runt of the litter, a freebie, long story. Never got past 50 pounds or a bit more, and was the most amazingly athletic, powerful, and tireless dog I have ever known. Smarter than anything, learned behavior lessons in a heartbeat and never forgot. Gave us nearly 15 years of companionship and love. A wonderful dog, hope you have as good luck with Cooper.

Looks like he is feeling quite at home, there.
That is a fine looking pup, Chris.

Now that I won't be leaving this place, I've started looking for a replacement/buddy for Sam.
He is 8 and probably won't live for more than a couple of years longer.
Be nice if he could pass his training and knowledge on to the next dog.
I'm a bit envious of Pete's Bear, so I've started looking for Malamute/shepherd crosses.

A friend who breeds golden retrievers brought 2 pups over for a visit yesterday.
As you can see, getting a pup would be a fine thing for Sam.

P1010603.JPG P1010607.JPG P1010614.JPG

Awesome Chris. It is gonna be new dog day for me soon. Biscuit is on the way out, if she makes it to Christmas, it will be like seventeen years.

Are GSP's wound tighter than a drum or are they kinda laid back? I am thing about a bird dog, but one that would be good with kids.

Looks like he is feeling quite at home, there.
That is a fine looking pup, Chris.

Now that I won't be leaving this place, I've started looking for a replacement/buddy for Sam.
He is 8 and probably won't live for more than a couple of years longer.
Be nice if he could pass his training and knowledge on to the next dog.
I'm a bit envious of Pete's Bear, so I've started looking for Malamute/shepherd crosses.

A friend who breeds golden retrievers brought 2 pups over for a visit yesterday.
As you can see, getting a pup would be a fine thing for Sam.

View attachment 56808View attachment 56809View attachment 56810

I would be cautious about recommending a gsd/malamute cross. The malamute in him has made training very difficult to say the least. He still has no effective recall as his prey drive is so so strong it over-rides anything so he lives his life on a leash :(
I'm not saying no Stig, as he is a great dog, however research the malamute side thoroughly before you proceed please.

That's a polite way of putting it!

Our Mal has the best and fastest recall of any dog I have ever had, unless there is something more interesting on offer.

Pete, I had a bit of the same problem with Sam. He found deer and in particular fallow deer very fascinating.
A remote controlled electric collar took care of that, pronto.
Once he found out they shock the shit out of you when you chase them, he stopped that.
Now he just looks at them from a distance.
That is the only thing I've ever used the collar for, and the only thing I believe they are good for.
I took great care to pity and pet him when he came howling back after the nasty deer gave him an electric shock, so he wouldn't in any way find the connection between me and the electric shock.

I've had 2 Siberian husky/ shepherd crosses, both have been great dogs although they took a lot of time to train.
The first one I had was my best dog ever, once he decided that I was indeed the alpha male and life was easier and more fun when he followed me.
I may just go with one of those again, I just wanted something a larger.

When you see sled riders with their Malamutes, they are pretty brutal with training. No mistaking who the Alpha is whatsoever, although I guess when your life depends on those dogs, you can't have ANY kind of doubt about the training.

When I get the space to keep another dog, I'll be getting an Northern Inuit Wolf Dog. All the looks and size of a wolf, but with a very easy temperament.

How hard a dog is to train depends a lot on the person doing the training.
I was just talking to a friend who breeds and trains some of the highest placed Golden retirievers in Scandinavia ( He once made a hat trick and took first place in denmark, Sweden and Norway at the field trials in one year) he told me that when he does seminars the most asked question is: How often do you train your dogs.
We got a good laugh out of that, since we both train constantly.
If I'm walking around the property, I'll call Sam in, make him lay down and stay, and leave him, then whistle him in every so often. same thing at work. I make him do all kind of stuff all the time, just for practice.
My dogs can't do a lot of stuff, but what they need to be able to do, they can do perfectly, every time.

One of my best dogs was a Riesen Schnauzer/ Shepherd, talk about a handfull.
Yet after a couple ( More like 3-4) years hard work, he was the second or third best dog I've owned.
Wonderful personality. Gentle and friendly with people he knew, any stangers being confrontational and he'd throw a switch and turn into a werewolf.
Had it been him going after those two burglars last winter instead of Sam, there would have been protoplasma scattered all along the driveway.
P8120178.JPG

Back