The New Offical Mutts of the House thread

• Thread starter Werks 4 da Man
  • Start date
  • Replies 4K
  • Views 285K
I'd prefer to see live the 50 million or more songbirds domestic cats kill every year in the lower 48, to any cat...but that's just me. I don't expect to change anyone's mind. People love their pets, and I get that completely.

Fine. I didn't miss that, Butch. I applaud you. That is surely best for all, cats and wildlife equally. I'm not giving you grief, specifically. Sorry if it seemed that way, my apologies.

But you have to know that you are in the minority in that practice, in how people in general manage their cats...let alone the untold millions of feral cats all over our country and the rest of the world.

Thais rolled in something long dead yesterday and has been stinking the place up since.
So today, for the first time in his 4½ year long life, I gave him a bath.
Normally a swim in a lake or the ocean will keep him clean.
I let him out afterwards to dry and when he came back in, he'd been rolling in the same dead critter!!!!!
So tomorrow when it is light outside, I'll wash him , let him out and keep an eye on him.
Then hopefully I can find the carcass and bury it.

I used to get harassed by a nature lover up the street about having cats outside.
I have mice, gophers, etc..need cats to keep them down, especially with feed we have for critters. Now, he hates how they kill little birds, lizards and snakes. Granted, cats eats a lizard, it makes them so sick it about kills them. Oh, and squirrels. Cats are hard on squirrels. (You should have seen how the squirrels were hard on our fowl. Killed chickens and ducks).
Anyway, we had this conversation, not too long ago. Then I enlightened him how well fed our hawks, coyote and other higher on the chain carnivores are. We lose at least 50 percent of our cats every year. Mostly to local predators.
Now granted, one can argue that we live in the wild, so we are the ones invading etc. But, a one size fits all attitude about anything is a fallacy. Having livestock in rural areas lends to pests, do we do away with the livestock, or things to catch the pests. Will there be some cracked eggs in any solution.
Urban areas are different. Different circumstances.
I can see where cats introduced in places can cause problems. But there is really no perfect solution everywhere with any thing.
Not long ago, our little indoor tuxedo cat got out side and was run over by a speeding motorist. Broke my heart. He died chasing quail after his escape. SUCKED! Little devil bolted out the door as it was cracked open and we could not catch him. Most our cats are barn cats that come in and out regular. Especially come winter if it is real nasty out. To what solution. Oh well. I'll just refrain from making a one size fits all statement to my fellows and try to expound ideals with a broader brush stroke.
Just.my .02

Oh, and just a note on the dude up the street, I am pretty sure he was the one that got in our back yard and let a dog we had on a run with animal controls permission. Dog was a livestock killer and the choice was put him on a run or have him put down. Couldn't keep him in the house, he killed cats and tore stuff up. Never could get him potty trained completely either. Rescue pup when we got him. Not cool at all doing something like that.

My cats are indoor only. I had ferals show up for food for a couple years, and didn't get mice in the house those couple years. Kinda miss them. I started feeding a couple when I saw them outside on cold sideways snow night. Couldn't let them in cause of my cats, so I figured I could at least put food out for them. Kept it up, since I started. They're all gone now. Just disappeared. Wish I knew what happened to them. There were a few I especially liked. Fathead the tom, Mom, and Spot were especially nice cats. Mom and Spot would have been in the house if I didn't already have cats. Fathead claimed this property as his, and I enjoyed watching him defend it. He wasn't huge, but he could hold his own, and I saw much bigger cats stand down to him. Had notches in his ears marking his victories :^D

@stig - a good dollop of tomato ketchup rubbed into the offensive area really helps get rid of the stench. Something to do with the vinegar & sugar combination. Washes out easy enough too. My first dog loved rolling in calf shit & I learned quickly.

Yeah, you no sooner bathe them up here in the woods, and they find Shit or dead things to roll in. Then jump in bed with you after you let them back in from potty time.....

My girlfriend’s brother’s Doberman, Yoshi was at dinner yesterday. She’s a sweetheart, well behaved. I snuck her a few bites of turkey.
7ED253F6-86E0-4CC6-ADA5-EA1AAE8E1400.jpeg

Back