The Big Ugly

Id hammer it like any other tree. Strip your freebies off of it to reduce weight and then rig off your stronger side.

Cmon Thor, a large bushy tree that spreads over 2 yards with a full length fence running right under it next to the trunk, there's bound to be a number of leaders over the fence that more or less run in line with it. I'm not saying it would be impossible to get down with one guy but it would be a monster pita, and when you make 25+ cuts over a fragile structure and all the cuts need to be nearly perfect to avoid causing damage, chances are high that one of the cuts will hang on longer than planned or that something will take a bad bounce and then bingo.

Maybe Holmen is going to remove some fence sections

Can't say I've ever heard of a just one guy taking on a tree that size that needs alot of climbing. A big ugly for sure!!

Is that picture current, with all that snow??

Hey guys, yep current pics taken this afternoon. The home owner and neighbor are gonna remove the sections of fence. The only rigging I have to do is bigshot a line up to the outer limbs nearest the power line in the back lane, redirect the rope with a block and pull those limbs down with my truck. Then it should be safe to put in a high central TIP and then bomb everything to the ground, their not worried about the bushes and small trees underneath, just gotta watch the shed. Plus they want the firewood .
Tree is only 50 feet or so high so not my biggest, just don't like the lightning damage.
Thanks for the offer Stephen! but it's not gonna pay that good:)

Good Plan!

Brrrrrrrrrrr!!!
Ha ha, no it's waiting till spring when the sap start flowing and get er done before it leafs out.
I've done similar trees with a high TIP and redirects and getting the outer limbs down with a 8 ft Jameson pole and Silky. Just getting a little tougher with age.

did a big ugly last Saturday, maybe 85 foot tall at this point. a lot of the top had fallen out along with the bark. possibly a chestnut. I spiked up about 30 feet and decided to shoot a line into a nearby tree. didn't trust being lanyard to it. all went well, it's really no big deal I guess if your safely tied to something else. not the case for a spongy poplar I did last summer. after I finished that piece of crap I decided I was being stupid, it could have easily snapped at the base with all the rot and cracks.

Good call, Page. You gotta draw the line somewhere. Not worth dying for. That happens to guys all the time across the US/world, as you know.

Willard, I may know a guy who could use a road trip out east to reconnect with some family I, er, he hasn't seen for a few years. No better way to get to know a fellow tree guy than by tackling a challenging job.
Let me know and I'll give the guy a buzz :/:

Willard, I may know a guy who could use a road trip out east to reconnect with some family I, er, he hasn't seen for a few years. No better way to get to know a fellow tree guy than by tackling a challenging job.
Let me know and I'll give the guy a buzz :/:
Hey thanks Dylan , I may take you up on that:thumbup:

With no advertising and all my business as word of mouth. Also my only source of income which I am dependent upon I would take that in a heart beat if it paid well. Of course a picture can only show so much. I don't like vertical cracks or power lines either. Doing it alone is something i would probably attempt if I believed I could without hurting myself or breaking something. My proposals are good for 30 days then subject to change. Mr Holmen make sure you get some good pics for us now ;)

With no advertising and all my business as word of mouth. Also my only source of income which I am dependent upon I would take that in a heart beat if it paid well. Of course a picture can only show so much. I don't like vertical cracks or power lines either. Doing it alone is something i would probably attempt if I believed I could without hurting myself or breaking something. My proposals are good for 30 days then subject to change. Mr Holmen make sure you get some good pics for us now ;)
Seemed like when I had a employee something was always breaking, whether it was my equipment or the customers property. I don't advertise either, all word of mouth.
Yes this lightening struck cottonwood will pay OK, the customer told me it took them 3 yrs to save the money to get er done.

I don't trust lightening struck trees and I never will rig one down with myself in it. Everything is cut and bombed to the ground
Take Dr. Peter Donzelli for example when he got killed rigging down that lightening struck pine back in 2000. Here is a guy with a doctorate in engineering testing and studying rigging in arboriculture, wrote the I.S.A. book The Art and Science of Practical Rigging and he gets killed when he climbs up past the weak spot in the stem and he's rigging down the top with a inexperienced groundie at that.

Attachments

• 20131123_113216.jpg
    20131123_113216.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 42
That is a shame about Dr Peter Gonzelli! That last pic really shows the spread on that tree. I don't know how I manage to forget how much work one tree can be to the next. Especially when I do a job and it goes really smooth. I start to get a big head and think I am superman. Then I manage to underbid the following job. One thing I continue to learn is that every job, every tree needs to be carefully assessed then bid accordingly. I have learned this the hard way over and over again. Got tired of making the same mistakes and getting better with bidding accordingly.

Back