The Big Ugly

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
OK so I cannt get Tuesdays movies to upload to youtube but heres some pics from today, first is of the tight crane access, could only get a 17 ton in, I had to get everything down on ground so he could pick it up. That bank was very unstable which made me a tad nervous....

Attachments

• cranepop.jpg
    cranepop.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 46
heres a couple of shots of the Problem Area, remember this was 30' up and had 90' of heavily leaning top above....

Attachments

• pophole.jpg
    pophole.jpg
    564.1 KB · Views: 48
cross section. What do yaall think??? would this worry you with a very heavy lean above it, good thing was hole faced direction of lean. My question is how do we know when they are to bad to mess with. I have done worse than this but pre-kids and not 125' tall.....

Attachments

• popcut2.jpg
    popcut2.jpg
    894 KB · Views: 45
We don't have poplars in htis neck of the woods. What are the characteristics of that species? Is it typically strong wood and a good comparmentalizer? If it were a live oak, I'd say No problemo, but a maple or a water oak, no way.

Im going to walk down to the shop and take a pic of a cut that will shed some light on poplars tendencies:/:

Healthy tulip poplars can be a blast for me. Light wood. I let myself get a lil nasty and put some big pieces on the rope. I dont do many of them and they dont get all that big where i am in northeast PA. Southeast PA, where i grew up and learned to climb, whole different story. Some of the biggest tulip poplars on the east coast grow around the outskirts of Philly. And I mean BIG! I cant say I've ever been in a monarch poplar.

This is a cut I made, admitedly it had about 30" extension and where the dollar is is my notch which I made as deep as I could to try to help preventing the limb from splitting. My top cut hardly got through the bark before the thing popped of:\:

Attachments

• dollar.jpg
    dollar.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 45
PC,

Your examples show what we're all up against, sometimes every day. It's a great thing that your are recording it. I wish I took more pictures of the rotten trees I had cut. Boy, there were some real dandies.

Made me wonder how they even stood at times, let alone stand in the winds. And then sock a bar and chain into them and cross your fingers they don't go crazy.

It's always a calculated risk some of us take on, and others pass up, by fool or intelligence.

That's what makes a real tree man,,, I am sure it.

Something about old tree men and bold tree men comes to mind. Seems I have gotten more cautious with age. I did some wild crazy stupid stuff back in the day.

Did a little ugly stick... Dead live oak (maybe 2 years) Bark just starting to come off here and there. 40-45 high about 18 DBH... Just a lil ugly with a small hollow at 16 feet. With the weather we have been having, the ground is saturated. We guyed the tree from two other tree bases opposite the lean that was towards the house. So the guys were like triangulated to the lean in case the ground gave out at the root. Other than that, the tree was pretty sound. Had to lower the tops too keep from hitting house or propane tank.... Then chunk her down... Sorry no pics.. Forgot the dang camera again this am:X
Had a tree like it at the end of summer that I would not climb past 15 feet up. Started up the tree and you could just feel it was not real stable and very weak in the base and crotches.. SO we just got authorization to squish a small pine and pulled her where we wanted her. I guess what I am saying is sometimes you can just feel it based on your inspection. I will walk away if I feel it is too much risk and they don't want to do it the way I think it can be done safely. But I am still alive and ain't broke nuttin yet :)

Capturing and sharing tree jobs is an incredible learning tool. I myself fall into the young man category being only 25. Sites like this are an excellent asset to me because it allows me to learn from some real veterans through their pics and stories of various dragons they have slayed.

finally got the video uploaded.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE_nChvOfmg

TIP of poplar is 100' give or take 5'

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nE_nChvOfmg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nE_nChvOfmg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

That's gonna make you some money, Paul. How about an attachment/option to make it hands free - like a mouthpiece gizmo orrrr something? That would be cool.

I like big uglies, but I have learned when estimating them to add about 30% to your bid. This is to compensate for the natural tendency toward underestimation of just how big and how ugly they really are.

Back