Suffer not fools gladly...but they are good for a laugh

Man Stumper: I'm all over the board on this one. First, I'm thinkin, "Catalpa. Yep, Poor ol Stumper got caught cuttin down the ol timers only shade tree!" Then I see the logic behind your points regarding the ol timer's illogical progression of comments, and I think, "Yep, Butch is right... He just needed a friend... Poor bastard..." Then, I imagine that I need to move into a trailer-park, because I am starting to dislike most of the rich people that I have met, very much indeed, and a trailer-park is about the only place in America, that you can almost guarantee that your neighbor is not some closet rich-person, masquerading as a hard-working, decent fellow (I have known such).

Dear God, this world is a pig-stye. Please come back to judge the living and the dead.

Sorry Jay: Drank a hair-bit too much again tonight. Ahhhh, not really though!

I don't like early morning here, the humidity's too high. It usually takes 'til around ten for the sun to burn it off.

By law is 7 here as well I believe. When it was crazy hot out we'd be rolling out by 6:30ish, on site and gassing up around 7, with saws started a few minutes later. Given, much of our work is in the country, so we just have to worry about the homeowner. Normally we're starting saws up around 7:45 or 8 tho. One client we can't have any power equipment going before 9 or 10 around the house if she's home, but since she has a big property it's usually never a big deal, we just start somewhere else for awhile.

8am to 6pm here monday to friday, although we get ALOT of complaints before 9am in primarily residential areas. I nearly lost my job here with local government last year because of this. Apparently suggesting that someone should get a job & not be in bed at 10am is not acceptable :/:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pete, You hateful, hateful, man! hahahaha

InbredJed, The ol timer had lived perhaps 30 years of childhood and unemployed, welfare recipient genius.

I actually got on site for 8am the other day..I am a self confessed non-morning person...and have to talk sternly to myself to get a move on in the early hrs.

Ha! I started at 5:30am this morning. Handsaw work and starged the brush til 7am. Tomorrow we roll at 5:30 again and will be making noise by 6:00. A somewhat remoter location with the one citizen nearby giving us his ok.

Those jobs are nice, especially in this heat, mang. I about melted driving home from Osoyoos today. So, I stopped in at Skaha beach and had a little swim to cool off. I thought it was getting cooler, but last night it was 28c at midnight. (thats hot for a Canuckian)

Ditto on the swim!
I reduced some little casuarinas right on the coast, a few branches dropped in the water, just had to change and go get them...

We normally start at 7:30, when it is hot we start at 7 and when we are heading up into the forest 6am.

Another 5:30 start here. Should be all week. This job isn't too remote, just in a local park that doesn't have much for neighbors. Taking out about 9 or 10 medium sized cottonwoods, upwards of 30+"dbh and about 120' tall. Trimming a few other and whatnot, should take all week I think. Maybe crane for one.

I like an early start for work, for the most part...but the guy running a big excavator across the road from me doing land clearance for planting xmas trees is taking that to unreasonable extremes. He's working solid 12 to 14 hour days, I kid you not, seven days a week, starting at 0600 and finishing up between 6 and 8 pm...been at it nearly 2 weeks now, so I missed several days of it when in hospital.

6am start on a Sunday is just over the top...I hate reverse alarms :evil:.

That sucks B! I built my place at the end of a dead end dirt road six yrs ago. My son was born a yr later and daughter two after that. It has been nothing but reverse beepers since then. I almost sold this place. If I hadn't built it with my own two hands I would have. Beepers suck and so do people who run them too early. I once threatened a guy next door; "If you don't leave now( it was 7:30 pm) this machine will not run when you return." he almost said something before he saw two other neighbors headed his way.

Jay, every self propelled piece of construction equipment is required by law to have a backup beeper to prevent running over other workers. The beepers are so loud that everybody has to wear ear plugs or muffs to protect their hearing. Skid steers are constantly moving back and forth so the backup beeper goes almost nonstop whenever the machine is being used. Thanks to these laws 'protecting' us, construction jobsites have turned into horrible headache zones where your mind ends up turning to mush after 6-8 hours of listening to backup beepers. They are so loud that the headaches extend to nearby residents.

Ah, those beepers. Thanks for the explanation, Brian. I'm not around construction equipment so much, but i can see how it could be annoying.

At my local lumberyard, they have a forklift that has a weird reverse warning.
A voice says something loud that is too scrambled to make out.
I asked the driver what it said, but he didn't know.
After listening for a while, I finally found out that it said " Stand well clear" over and over.
In English, that is:|:

The crane guy has a two ton truck that will say"Turning right", or "Turning left", depending on which way you have moved the turn signal. It keeps saying it until the winker clicks off. When driving the truck I find it a bit embarrassing, it's quite loud.

Back