Suffer not fools gladly...but they are good for a laugh

Stumper

Treehouser
Today I was working in a trailer park. Several removals but I chose to do the climbing first before the already high temps reached the 99-104 variously reported as the high. ......So, I'm working my way up this moderate sized Catalpa removal when a tenant in the adjoining lot comes out and begins talking.
"Are ya'll clearing the lines"
Me: "Not all of the lines from all the trees but we are taking this tree out."
Larry the lamebrain: " Why would anyone want to take that tree out?"
Me: "Because it is all wrapped up in the utility lines." (The tree had 2 electric service bundles (3 actual drops) and 6 cablevision lines running through it, the trunk was three feet from a pole with a meter and was growing into the fence between his yard and his neighbor's.)
Larry:" Ya'll should have put caution tape all around down here."
Me: "I kinda figured you'd have sense enough to stay out of the way."
Larry: "But I got dogs."
Me: "Your dogs respect caution tape?"
Larry: "No but my dogs respect me. If you guys are gonna work around residences you should be more respectful."
Me: "Well maybe I expect too much but like I said, I figured you'd have sense enough to stay out of the way."

A half hour later when I had the tree down to a spar with 3 low limbs extending out over his yard and the rest of it on the ground in the yard the tree was growing in he came out and complimented us on being so fast and told me about his blind diabetic dog that nobody would help buy meds for and said it was okay to drop anything in his yard that I needed to..........

That reminds me of a job I did on this last 4th of July. It was a wednesday, we were doing a half dead cottonwood removal in the backyard of a house, and a lady living in the apartment complex starts yelling at me. She's standing on the second floor of her apartment staring up at me. I killed the saw figuring she was gonna comment on how high up in the tree I was, how dangerous it is and to be careful. No..... she asks "What are you doing?"
"Removing this tree, it's half dead!"
"Well when are ya gonna be done?"
"Well be done when the tree is on the ground."
"Well I can't believe you would do this on a holiday. Making all that noise with your chainsaws on the fourth, whats wrong with you guys."
With that she promptly returned inside and slid her sliding glass door shut. I was dumbfounded! It was 0900 in the morning, were done by noon. I have never had anyone complain about noise, let alone on the fourth. I was so mad at first, some of us don't have the luxury to take the fourth off. Meanwhile fireworks were going off all around the neighborhood. The nerve!
I didn't stay mad for long, and I wasn't a smart ass, made my company look good. I guess the neighbor overheard the conversation and complimented me for not losing my temper. I guess she yells at everyone.

She was probably glad to have you to yell at...some people are just plain cantankerous. She sounds like one.

Good to see you here.

Imo people have a right to think it discourteous for workers to make noise in some situations, and those situations can be ones of their own choosing. In the morning on a holiday might be one. The fact that someone feels obligated to work on the fourth has nothing to do with the close by residents, other than the noise created that affects them. It's your problem, buddy. Some may feel compassionate and understanding, others may not. A person might have other things going that make the noise more disturbing than usual. There could be a bedridden elderly person in the household, or a sick child, migraine headache.... any number of situations that occur and that you don't have a clue about. To assume that people should only be courteous benefactors and not voice any objection, I think is not seeing the picture with sufficient totality. Getting angered by someone's complaint, even if she is a bit nutty, I think indicates that in fact you are the one that is being narrow minded about it, maybe you should try and be more understanding as well. Fireworks is an unrelated matter. It can help to go around to close proximity residents before you begin work, or if it is going to be early, the day before or whenever, and knock on their doors and explain the fact, and apologize for any disturbance in advance, and there is also that small hand towel given to them gesture that I have yapped about before. Unless someone just has a bee under their bonnet, it can much help them to be patient, as important as the work that gets done. Peace and quiet is very important to some folks, and they have a right to feel that way. Expecting them to be patient may be within most folks desire and capability, but merely assuming that as a given, is off base in my book. Being patient with tree work peripheries can be a learned skill. How do I know this stuff? I learned it from a Yakuza gang member that got pissed near a tree job. My two....

On that noise business maybe 25 years ago I graded off a railroad siding in the little town I grew up in .

Most of the work was spread over several week ends .That old D4 Cat had a 3" straight pipe and made enough noise top wake the dead .On Sunday I never started it until I heard the church bells ring at the end of the services from two churchs .I had people thank me for that

I've been on both sides of this situation. Back when I was doing trees part time and working full time in the Trauma ICU there were days I would be trying to sleep after night shifts. I never begrudged folks needing to mow their lawns and such, but one landscaping firm always ticked me off. They would roll up and shut their truck off, turn up the radio so it would be loud enough to be heard above the din of mowers and trimmers (no PPE for these guys) and leave it that way as they filled gas tanks and refilled line on trimmers, and cut and trimmed the three yards across from and down the street from me. Several times I asked them to leave the radio off to no avail.

Another time I had just spiked up a takedown and placed the lowering line when a police officer drove up and parked his vehicle across the street, gathered up a lunchbox and briefcase, and headed to his front door. I yelled down and asked him if he'd just worked the night shift. When he said yes I yelled down to my groundsman that we were packing up and moving to the next job and then asked him when he was on days so I could reschedule with the homeowner.

His smile was wide and as I headed to the ground I said, "I hope you remember my face if you ever pull me over on the road".
I had the luxury of a backlog and understanding customers, and understand this is not always the case.

I don't know how it might be in other areas, but often when giving advanced notice about noise here, people will often say an encompassing word that means that you are doing a good job and they appreciate your effort. It might be followed with a "Be careful", as well. A quick and easily made friend around your job can't hurt. I remember one lady that brought us some coffee and snacks, and she lived across the street from the job...no doubt a friend of the homeowners where we were working. Hard to beat that. If nobody has ever had someone come to their door and warn about noise before, it occurs that they might think that you will be setting off explosions or something. :lol:

Back when I was doin' a little climbing... we were doing a removal of a big Douggie next to a house. The husband of the house was out chattin' with the cat I worked with while I was up the tree workin' my way up to top it. The wife had been out earlier (and was a very attractive gal) and was upset that her husband was having the tree removed. She kinda gave us the business before she stomped off into the house...

Anyways... as I was up the tree... the came to the window of the second story of the house and had a note in her hand. It was a phone number and the words "call me" written on it. She blew me a kiss... :lol: I guess she figured that to get even with her husband taking out the tree... she'd sleep with the removal guy.

I never called her...

Gary

-Woodworkingboy

Wow, you really got me thinking about what you said. I usually put myself in the others shoes regarding noise, and I try not to work too early, but you are right with this lady. I never thought about migraines or mitigating circumstances. I just thought, "what a cranky lady, doesn't she know this dead tree could kill someone, or damage this property! Here I am risking my life to make this property safe and here she is yelling at me!" I don't know if I would go so far as to let neighbors know that I will be making noise, but that also would be a good way to break the ice with potential new clients. Thank you for opening my eyes a little and seeing the big picture. Thank you for being nice about it too!

Thanks for the reply, Josh (I guess your name is). Glad to offer a tip that could be useful, and grateful that you took the criticism well.

I always ask clients what time they want us to start if they have neighbours close by, or to have a chat with their neighbours so no-one is too suprised by the noise before 9am.

I was housesitting this past week, worked REAL hard on Saturday on a stinkin' sticky ficus wrapped all around an endemic palm and it was HOT...I thought, ahhh, Sunday tomorrow, going to put the AC on tonight and have a nice lie in in the morning, get up when I'm ready...well what happened, the landscaper arrives to start mowing and trimming at 7:00 am!!! Vexed doesn't cover it...I mean REALLY!!!!

This is all very interesting to me. We are on the job-site set-up and starting saws at 7:00am. By-law is 7 I tell people that when I quote it. I get up at 5:30am at the latest, in the summer closer to 4:30. I love the morning myself. I could never wait around until those starting times.

I'm about an hour behind Skwishey but the same principle. I try to arrive on site between 8 and 8:15, will have saws running within 10 minutes.

Back