SRT

Btw, do I need to get another foot ascender so I have one on each hoof? Sorry for the rank noob Qs.

And a chest thingy?
JetSteps are ambidextrous.
I mostly use a right foot ascender, as it's the newer Petzl, but occasionally switch it up (and feel clumsy).

Chest harnesses are personal preference. I don't care for them.

My homemade floater is on a long bungee "Daisy chain" the goes over my shoulder to the back of my harness, to which my srt device attaches, too.

$0.02

Are there other jet step fans here? The reviews look good.

I would go ct, and get the holder for your spurs too. That way you only need 1 ascender and can use it on your spurs.

I will have a CT soon...I ordered this from TreeStuff Nov. 24...en route now:

1 ea. Climbing Technology Foot Ascender - Right Foot
4 ea. Notch V3 Quickie
1 ea. Petzl Rollclip Z Triact-Lock Pulley Carabiner

I used a Petzl Rollclip Z Triact-Lock Pulley Carabiner yesterday for a "haulback" (to help get me back to a redirect point) setup on a roof...it is a nice biner...probably more uses I have not thought of yet. Now I will have two.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gary, have you tried the S.C.A.M. method for a redirect? The Rollclip Z is perfect for that.

No...great question though...it led me to this... a very cool, minimalist system, looks very efficient. I was prussicing the RollcipZ where I needed to get back to...the SCAM should let me have the HW come down to me. What about the possibility of the Z getting stuck between the redirect/anchor limb and the rope as it "unwinds" itself? If that happens it seems it would be risky to climb back up to the anchor point? Or maybe it would only be a drop of a foot or so if it unraveled while you were on the way back to untangle it....may be a non-issue?

I recently got an old but like new Zag tether for a wrench, kinda like the Rounds tether but older and maybe heavier. Looking forward to trying it out on the older ZZ.
Also wondering why I hadn’t bought a Zigzag sooner. So smooth. Found an older one at a killer price, then 2 months later found a new Zigzag plus with swivel for 125$, so couldn’t pass that up. Really got high expectations for the ZZ on SRT. What a beautiful tool to use on DdRT so far though.
Stock photo of Zag Wrench tether.
FBD3EEEF-1F17-4A90-A475-FA5FC9590076.jpeg

The other type would be quick set up, less time/ effort invested, usually for work positioning, ie limb walking. My personal favorite is the remotely settable, remotely retrievable, transferlizer? by Lawrence Schultz, which can be used in multiple ways but this is what i usually do. Since i use a really long double lanyard, here's the thought process: doing limb walk, getting leggy, so i look up and ahead. If I have a limb up and ahead that can hold my body weight, i double crotch, either normally or with a hook.

But what if it can't hold my weight? Time for a redirect then. Throw the line over and back to you like you are about to double crotch, but clip the end on the srt line (leave the throw weight on for easy retrieval). You can clip the hitch part to your bridge, or you can clip it to a choker around the limb you are standing on. Then, possibly with no lanyard and with weight on your climb line, haul the tie in closer to the redirect while letting line out on your main system, and when it's where you want tada now you have a tip all the way out there for you that possibly could never hold your weight, and you didn't have to climb there to set it or get it. If it's tied off to the tree you can just go about everything normally, if it's tied to you then you have to maintain two systems, but can adjust your tip to any point between the redirect or the tip.

This is an older post but I am interested in what you are saying. Unfortunately, paragraph 2 is clear as mud to me. Maybe it can't be made clearer by words alone

Last edited:
Drum roll, please: I ordered the HAAS velox with foot strap and the CT right foot ascender. Also the Notch Quick step cuz it seems like a good one and is ambidextrous which could come in handy if my balky knee wants to change things up. Thanks for all your input

I think you are gonna be liking the SRT. It is SO fast on free ascents compared to DDRT. It has taken me a long time to start making it feel doable...several false starts but learned a bit each time...and starting to use SRT as my go to now.

I looked at the Notch Quick step, too...I watched Nick Bonner's video of comparing them...The QS caught my attention, too. That Velox looks good.

Glad to hear your srt journey is progressing nicely

i use the jetstep. because it is ambidextrous and i like to be able to kick out. prefer not to have to fiddle with it to get out of it. i footlock a lot though too. still after all is said and done, its the simplest way for me to get around a tree although slightlyyou have to watch out with the jet step on the right foot walking on the ground as the fairlead can catch a pant leg or shoe lace and drop you.

i am a stickler for ambidextrous work habits. i try to incorporate it everything.

Me too, quite a bit. So you saw a lot with the off hand, too?

You'd probably like the sport of lacrosse cuz the abilty to use the stick well with both hands is key.

Long as we on the subject, just recently I had a minor ambidextrous epiphany- when I sit at the table using the 'puter, I noticed (after 6 decades) my feet tend to automatically rest with left foot on its outside edge on floor, right foot on top of left foot's arch/instep area. Completely comfortable.

So I tried to change it up and of course it was felt utterly foreign and actually quite painful, but it's getting better after a week so far. :|:

Last edited:
What is the downside of using the Rope Wrench with the ZigZag? Is it just because Petzl doesn't recognize and haven't tested it? That bulky thing that they sell for it looks ok but I'd rather use the wrench. I don't have a ZigZag but have been thinking about getting one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What about the possibility of the Z getting stuck between the redirect/anchor limb and the rope as it "unwinds" itself?...

Yeah , that would suck, but I have not had it come close so far and I have used it in a variety of ways.
I have both the non-locking and the Z on my saddle most days. They are just so useful.

I don't like any ascender on a spur. But that horse has been beat pretty hard here in the past. Carry on, if you dare.

Back