World's Best (Most Expensive!) Tree Climbing Spurs

Bixler

TreeHouser
Dreams really do come true...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RiJ786Q88I0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kiwiklimbers :rockon:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am impressed...great marriage of ascender to a spur. Wonder if the bottom of the shank is rough/ribbed to grab on limbs?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My Carbon Fiber Geckos were $550 six years ago, add $75 foot ascender, and we're at 6 and a-quarter... I'll pay 162 bucks for them to put the two things together!

...back to working 24/7...

:brows:

Ok...I'm obviously out of the mainstream of posters to this thread. But eff me, I'd NEVER rope climb with gaffs on. NEVER, EVER. Hang 'em on my harness and put them on once aloft, or have them sent up after I make the ascent, sure...but y'all are begging for grief, imo. Ropes, ankles, calf muscles, etc. ...all at high risk.

I'm an old climber that has had the good fortune to keep injuries to a minimum, and I intend to keep it that way :). You boys give it enough time, and I promise you that you'll see my point...with blood to emphasize :D.

I was going to echo Burnams sentiment as well earlier today. I see gaffed ropes in some's future here. I will also put my gaffs on once aloft on my perch. Wraptor gets around all that as well.

At least rope damage doesn't require stitches in the ER :).

If you have never seen a full on gaff wound, you are perhaps not able to visualize the potential for mayhem. It can be extremely ugly...in it's own way, as bad as some chainsaw cuts.

Well anyway ole timers ;) Dale Thomas told me that retro fit gecko KK's maybe available at the end of the month, and is gonna let me know.... Ill keep yall in the loop.

Looks like they are making them locally, probably small batches....no wonder they're so expensive....and that's without post and packaging, import tax etc. Hopefully they'll sell some in aus and NZ at least. I've never used a pantin with spurs on. Not saying it doesn't work, just never felt the need.

At least rope damage doesn't require stitches in the ER :).

If you have never seen a full on gaff wound, you are perhaps not able to visualize the potential for mayhem. It can be extremely ugly...in it's own way, as bad as some chainsaw cuts.
I skidded down an ash tree trunk once, in the days I used to free climb a lot. As I landed my right spur pierced through the left boot. I then fell over as my feet were stuck together. I got the fleshy part of the heel, on the side. Wide gash, so to speak.

The one time I gaffed my heel, I just looked down and was ... how in the frig? OW~! Just gaffed out circling round a large stem. I was so pissed at myself.

Back