SRT

I run a homemade knee one tenex whoppie for the foot loop, a handleless ascender, a cheap baby accessory carb, and some bungie cord tied to the ascender and secured with an adjustable loop knot so i can adjust it. I then clip that all the way up on my chest box, so i don't need the compactness of a saka or hass. It's literally the same as the one Jerry uses, but he used a pantin for the ascender. My entire climbing system setup is best described as Jerry's double line ropewalker, with Mumford's adjustable bridge to lengthen my climbing system far enough to be over the chest box so i can do it srt.

Here's the big guy doing it, i figured copying him would be a good setup, so that is literally just what i did.

Nice O9. Been too long since Ive watched one of the King's vids.

Thanks Ben for your perspective. Btw.. I was rereading your post about how you slowly got into srt, very relatable, I hope my path is similar.

Btw, do I need to get another foot ascender so I have one on each hoof? Sorry for the rank noob Qs.

And a chest thingy?

Yes you need a regular foot ascender. Chest thing isn't needed, but even something small that tends your system helps. I would think the chest roller box might be a bridge too far for you atm, too much to soon and it isn't exactly comfortable, and i don't think you are top heavy enough to where it's a game changer.

Thanks.

Foot ascenders come in righty and lefty I presume, I wonder which side I need to pair with a SAKA

Back in 60s, 1960's, we had manila rope. one half inch Tubbs firm lay 3 strand manila rope. It was our climblines, our saftey lines (laynard), our flip-lines, and our bull-line. Now the 1 inch manila was the Boss.

It didn't get any better than that.

I like a CT right foot ascender. SAKA on the left knee. I use a Weaver chest box. I know there is some controversy over Weaver but I already had a couple. They're small, light and cheap. I leave a micro biner on it. If I keep it clipped to my ascender it keeps me upright. Any of the lighter chest ascenders can be worn all day and not even know they're there. A lanyard over the shoulder works just fine too. The pic is from Wesspurs new catalog.

What are you using for your SRT device?

Attachments

• 20201129_203543.jpg
    20201129_203543.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Back in 60s, 1960's, we had manila rope. one half inch Tubbs firm lay 3 strand manila rope. It was our climblines, our saftey lines (laynard), our flip-lines, and our bull-line. Now the 1 inch manila was the Boss.

It didn't get any better than that.

Yeah, I remember exactly how wonderful it was to work with those lines :cry:.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cory, get a right foot CT foot ascended and a left knee ascended. I use the HAAS Velox and am happy with it but you would be as well served with the SAKA.

For a chest attachment, the Petzl Torse works great as it is long enough to also be used as suspenders. Speaking of the Torse, on the page Ben linked above they have the pictures of the Torse and Secur reversed.

I’m loving the SAKA MiniMax.
Got an old HAAS and it works, but my homemade one is better and the SAKA is better than my homemade. Haven’t tried the Velox. Looks nice enough.

Yo, long story short, should I buy a saka mini max for a knee ascender? Gary how do you like yours?

Cory...I DO like the SAKA mini-max...starting to get real comfortable with it. I use a right foot pantin, SAKA on left. I do not have a chest roller/pulley/whatever. Sometimes I think I wish I did....it should hold me more upright but it's another gadget. Right now, I am finally getting comfortable setting up the RRP, Saka and pantin for climbs. I have done a few simple rec climbs for learning purposes lately...playing with how to set up a re-direct and today set up a 3:1 while working on a roof...using a blower on leaves and to clean the gutters by blowing out the leaves. The RRP SRT and the 3:1 are good...I am understanding better now how that 3:1 will let me PULL the rope to assist me in returning to a redirect point.

i do recommend getting a right and a left ascender. often in the tree, it is only a few feet you need to go so I just use one ascender. you can get overuse syndrome if your always using the same foot. i swap around the way i footlock too in order to keep balanced.

All awesome responses, much appreciated spelling it out for me. :drink:

I have seen guys jamming up a tree using one leg while the other one just hangs. Always struck me as weird. It is so simple to use both legs with just the one ascender.
if your going three feet, one foot is all you need

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Do that often and you get your mentioned one leg overuse injuries.

It takes no more time or effort to place the other foot on the instep and use both.

Back