SRT Setups

jtrouse

Treehouser
Hey all im interested in how people are running SRT setups im running the tree frog setup dont have any pics right now but id love to see what others are doing with regard to how its all attached etc.

Ill post some pics soon. but feel free to bet me to it.

i think mines the tree frog also, one hand ascender, one foot ascender, one chest ascender and a foot loop to the handled one

Mine is simple. CMI Expidition ascender on a tether, ISC Rocker, and my pantin.

Carl, please don't use the rocker for this. It will not grab when you need it to because of the rope not being loaded. :big-no:

Mine is simple. CMI Expidition ascender on a tether, ISC Rocker, and my pantin.

Ditto, minus the Rocker. Buzz folks razzed me so I changed out and now tie a VT above the acender. The VT, ascender, and tether all share the top biner, then there is a biner on the bottom to connect to my saddle.

I guess I'm missing how the rocker doesn't work? It's never failed/scared me/given any indication that it wasn't there to catch me.

As I understand it, when the line is tight, the rocker doesn't grab...here's how I replaced it, (and I owe you your rocker back).

Attachments

• SRT 001.jpg
    SRT 001.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 37
  • SRT 002.jpg
    SRT 002.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 29
As I understand it, when the line is tight, the rocker doesn't grab...here's how I replaced it, (and I owe you your rocker back).

I aint saying that's not what they told you, but that's incorrect. The ONLY way the rocker doesn't grab is if there isn't a load on the rocker.

When I get home I'll see if the rocker will still grab when the line is tensioned to a couple thousand lbs, that may prevent it from grabbing with only body weight.

Im with Carl on this.....

Ive done my own experimenting and the only time the rocker doesnt grab is when its not loaded.

When attached to the rocker, it will rotate slightly and then grab, thats how its supposed to work.

I havent seen any evidence proving that it is not safe to use other than some "speculation" by TB members. Nor have I ever had it not grab the line.

Top was caught by my Rocker on a pretensioned safety line.

The only risk I'm thinking is if the line was loaded to the point where the Rocker couldn't rotate and grab. Like I said, I'll find out when I get home.

Anyone ever tried a double bungee rope walker setup. I ascended a 200ft pit yesterday using it. Its the most efficient climbing system in existence. Very easy to climb, and i am 230lbs.

Anyone ever tried a double bungee rope walker setup. I ascended a 200ft pit yesterday using it. Its the most efficient climbing system in existence. Very easy to climb, and i am 230lbs.

Pictures or link please.

pete

If you use the Croll chest ascender, is it necessary to backup the hand ascenders with a VT or Distel or prusik etc...??

jp:D

If the Croll is attached to your saddle and the hand ascender(s) are also, then no.

Mechanically you need 2 forms of attachment above your waist, that are connected to your saddle (not just a chest harness).

So the pantin doesn't count 8)

jp:D

Does hanging from your one foot sound fun? :D

Personally I like a 3 wrap prussik just above my hand acender for kicks. Its easy to tie and its a nice back up. 2 points of attachment are enough. Just my preferance.

That looks like one "hell" of a good time. I would be into something like that if'n there was something around where I lived to do it. Closest thing to that is a lava tube that is about 30 or 50 ft. vertical and about the the length of a couple of football fields horizontal. Some places are real tight, like you have to get down on your belly and inch worm your way through. Once you get through the tight spot it opens back up and eventually you run into water and can not go any further. Good fun. Stay safe. Seems like rescue would be a lot harder if you were having to lift instead of lower the person you were having to rescue.

I had rockclimbing instructors when I was younger who were these crazy brits that did underwater caving, crazy tight stuff. Nuts, not for me.

Nick, on your right foot you can instead use a pantin with the bungee attached. Makes for a cleaner set up.

This is the set up I use. Also, the CMI chest plate is not as nice as the Rock Exotica.

The CMI grabs the rope and the rope does not feed as cleanly. Not a huge difference except when you are on a long ascent.
I like the OnRope chest harness because it is well made and very comfortable. Also make sure the bungee is over long as you will want to adjust it to fit your body type.

It might be cheaper to buy the whole kit instead of piecing it out.

www.onrope1.com

My old setup is 2 jumars, a daisy chain, and dual footloops. The rig I am using now is almost exactly like Nicks diagram except as Frans said I have a Pantin on my foot, thinking of going to a CMI foot ascender. Fast, fast, fast and easy canopy entry. All fits in the zippered Newtribe pouch.:evil:

Back