SRT Setups

I've got a pantin(french is allowed up here), otherwise I wouldn't be going nowhere in a tree without spikes.:D

A timber hitch tie off at the base is not the best anchor. The TH can walk itself open if it is tensioned and slacked. This can happen if there is some rope ascent then some limb climbing.

If you're going to to a trunk anchor it is pretty easy to add a belay system to the anchor. Either a friction device like a rack or I'd or do a trunk wrap with a friction hitch.

I guess I left that part off of my previous post...I most often attach my rack to a daisy chain-like woven webbing multi-pocket sling called Omni-sling, preferably double wrapped around the anchor tree's base.

Climbing on a timber hitch? That's a bad idea. Figure 8s are my preferred remote tie off. pulling a bowline through branches hoping it wont spill, and you don't know till you get there(or not) no thanks. 8s are A-bomb proof!!!:)

Climbing on a timber hitch? That's a bad idea. Figure 8s are my preferred remote tie off. pulling a bowline through branches hoping it wont spill, and you don't know till you get there(or not) no thanks. 8s are A-bomb proof!!!:)

Imagine you have to be lowered down. You full weight in on your climbing line. O.K. Your help runs to the base of the tree, unties the lock from the figure 8, looks up at you, and the rope suddenly releases through the figure 8 and down you go splat to the ground.

That thought is what makes me stay away from the figure 8 in that situation.

Frans, it is important to recognize when some concerns are legitimate or irrational. Think about what you just said. If you have an aerial rescue situation and your groundman can't figure out how to use a figure 8, how on earth do you expect him to safely accomplish an aerial rescue?

Whereas I prefer to use a small Port-a-Wrap as it is much easier to remove the tie off and not lose your friction, any system requires training in its proper use. This is much less time consuming and simpler for the average groundman to accomplish than a true aerial rescue.

As in all systems there are many more scenarios to consider and adapt to. There is no need on a system like this to have the ropes exposed to careless groundmen with chainsaws and certainly we don't allow the general public to be walking through because the worksite is secured, right?

I don't use a system like this in EVERY tree I do because sometimes it is totally impractical but it is a nice tool to have in your knowledge bag.

Dave

Nope, like this, all on the same 'biner, all up top. Then the footloop on the bottom part of the ass-ender

Maybe this is a new idea 8)?? Probably not....

What about having a VT for the friction saver above the cam with two rings on the eyes (big and small) and running your DdRT setup through those rings with the ascender and footstrap/pantin below that. Then you could work off your DdRT and it would be retrievable to move tie-in points in the tree?

Just a thought, I'll try and setup and take a pic.

jp:D

I think this is a very intelligent statement:
I don't use a system like this in EVERY tree I do because sometimes it is totally impractical but it is a nice tool to have in your knowledge bag.

All too often we stick with a system or method just because we like it, or it's new, or some 'expert' told us to use it.
Even when in a particular situation where it is not the best.

Imagine you have to be lowered down. You full weight in on your climbing line. O.K. Your help runs to the base of the tree, unties the lock from the figure 8, looks up at you, and the rope suddenly releases through the figure 8 and down you go splat to the ground.

That thought is what makes me stay away from the figure 8 in that situation.

a properly set up figure 8 cant come undone with out opening the support biner. at the worst theyd drop the rope (which is bad enough). the other way (biner in the big ring)of running a figure 8 would be looking to die if used in this scenario

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I started this thread and there is no pictures from me!!!! There will be on the weekend. Im liking all the ideas though.

Back