SRT Setups

I have yet to buy the CMI foot ascender. To me anyway, it seems like the cmi would be better because it looks like it is harder to slip off of the rope.

Nick, on your right foot you can instead use a pantin with the bungee attached. Makes for a cleaner set up.

This is the set up I use. Also, the CMI chest plate is not as nice as the Rock Exotica.

The CMI grabs the rope and the rope does not feed as cleanly. Not a huge difference except when you are on a long ascent.
I like the OnRope chest harness because it is well made and very comfortable. Also make sure the bungee is over long as you will want to adjust it to fit your body type.

It might be cheaper to buy the whole kit instead of piecing it out.

www.onrope1.com

On Rope 1 chest harness is very comfortable. They were actually the ones teaching the verticle class. A 200 foot pit for my first Rappel was quite a rush and scary:O

I keep ALMOST buying the pmi chest roller

singlerollerpmi.jpg

love
nick

The only way I know of to make it slip is pull on the non carabiner hole when it's loaded.

If you were really talented and could grab it and keep it from rotating even a smig on the rope, it wouldn't grab either, but that's near impossible.

Remember you're coming to the ITCC Brendon? That was the DEALIO!

OK, I tried SRT for the first time today and found it pretty hard going physically, I only used one ascender with the VT above as back up, a attachment from the ascender to my harness plus a Pantin.

I am a total novice when it comes to SRT, mind you, I got up the tree pretty quick.

High Scale,
I also use one handled ascender backed up by my VT and a Pantin on my foot. I cannot understand why everyone using this combination wants to put the VT above the handled ascender. I leave my VT on the center ring on my saddle, that way I don't have to retie it when I get up in the tree and switch back over to a standard doubled rope setup. I just unclip and stow the ascender, untie the top of the rope and then crotch in and secure it back to my saddle. I'm ready to descend without ever touching the VT.

The only drawback to my (very simple and basic) setup is that I cannot easily or quickly descend on the SRT setup. But I'll live with that miniscule risk. Any setup allowing quick descent off an SRT setup requires a lot more time and gear to use.

I'm a complete noveau never SRT'd before.

I just came across this bag of tricks and was wondering
if any of you experienced fellas could help me use this gear.

Where does it all go?

Attachments

• 006_768x1024.jpg
    006_768x1024.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 19
As well as you can footlock, I'm not sure if it's necessary. I only use SRT for entry into big trees and then switch over to the standard DdRT once in the tree. You might find most SRT methods slower than footlocking.

I'm thinking If I have a big hanger in a Cypress 100' up,
I'd rather be mellow srt directly to the branch as opposed to footlocking or climbing through the tree causing collateral climbing damage.
I know also I'll be getting older one day and I hear footlocking is tough on the knees after a bit of time.

Deva that's one complete system and parts of two others it looks like.

The two handled ascenders clip into your bridge giving you 2 points of contact with the rope. The one stirrup goes down to the left leg, pantin on the right and you're good to go. The only thing that makes it easier is a chest harness will a roller box. There is a slight savings using a different system that has bungy cords that advance the ascenders for you, but it's not all that greatly suited for the tree world.

learn them all.....decide what you like......use where appropriate.

The main safety thing is having 2 seperate points of contact with the rope. Some would argue that the center system uses the same biner and that's a no-go, I don't think it matters that much.

My usual SRT system is fairly simple, for a WCV I'd probably incorporate both legs into the lifting action (alternating preferably, as opposed to both legs pushing together).

Back