SRT Setups

no..there was a rule change, all cams open with back up above

no..there was a rule change, all cams open with back up above

All cams LOCKED open? So your primary only has a prussik type knot holding?

Or are you saying that a marlin spike knot is used, then the locked open ascenders above that, then a prussik up top?

yep, and you could run the whole mess right through the top of the ascender. I like Nobiv's idear about opening the cam before starting to work off of it though.......

So you can put the vt hooked to the top of the ascender and then connect the biner with the pulley and DdRT setup on the lower portion of the ascender??

jp:D

All cams LOCKED open? So your primary only has a prussik type knot holding?

Or are you saying that a marlin spike knot is used, then the locked open ascenders above that, then a prussik up top?

Marlin Spike is required, yes.

Nope, like this, all on the same 'biner, all up top. Then the footloop on the bottom part of the ass-ender

Thats the proper way to do it.

Then back up with marlin spike and open the cam on the handled ascender.

Ok another rookie question here, but I'm curious. How do you guys tie off your SRT access line either at the base of the tree or when running it up to a limb? Any pics would be great.

That's what I'm thinking but just fishing for idears. I think I'm finally wrapping my head around this SRT stuff.

Yup, running bowline. It can be rather disconcerting sometimes when pulling the knot up out of your reach. It's the 'point of no return' where you're commiting yourself to going up that rope, otherwise you're not getting your rope back.
:P

yup, running bowlin for an isolated limb. I like to leave a long enough tail so I know I can grab it easily to switch over.

for a trunk tie off it gets more complex. a running bowlin would probably work, or you could use a timberhitch. preferred method is to use a sling and run a gri-gri or porta wrap or munter, to aid in a rescue from the ground.

and Brendan: add a footloop to that ascender, cheap and sooooooooo worth it.

Brendon runs the same low profile SRT setup that I do, except I use a loop runner between the ascender and carabiner to attach to my saddle (It was what I had and the length worked). If I need to use both feet, I'll just put my left foot on top of my right foot so I'm pushing on the Pantin with both feet. No need for extra straps dangling.

For anchoring I usually use a running bowline at the base, But it would be best to make the system lowerable. This can be done with a wide array of friction devices or even a type of friction hitch. To acheive this you either need to fashion the ascent line into an endless loop or have 3 times the amount of rope vs the height of your TIP. The endless loop would be favored by me as you would need less rope to do it. As for the best type of device, Id say a Gri gri, or even a few trunk wraps secured with a friction hitch, backed up with a slip knot beneath the device or hitch.

I've never ran the setup I've posted. Carl set me up with just an ascender like shown, but with an ISC Rocker at my waist. The T-Buzz police said the Rocker won't grab, thats why I was playing with that pictured setup.

Why not just use your VT hitch at your waist? I only use one rope, I'm not high tech enough to have one rope for access and then a second line for working. Besides, that would tend to get the ground guys tangled (The ones who aren't very skilled with chainsaws, but are using them around my ropes). Especially if there's any lowering work to do.

Anyways, by using my friction hitch as my backup, I don't have to retie it once I'm in the tree. I just lanyard in, untie the end of my lifeline, then attach it to my saddle with a biner and I'm DdRT ready to work.

There is no basis for the Rocker statements at the buzz.
Whats been said is that when the line is taught below the device it wont likely grab. Ive tried many times to get it "not to grab" and it always does. And from what Ive noticed is that is more likely to grab when the line is taught beneath it.

It only takes a slight rotation of the device for it to grab and it is easier for that rotation to occur if the device is above you rather than at your waist. IMO.

I have no reservations at all about the Rocker and will continue to use it until I hear more than just observated opinions as to whether its safe or not.

If I can I set up an anchor at the base of another nearby tree, running through a rappel rack for letdown capability.

I have always used SRT on tall conifers. One risk with trees like this is that the limb configuration is relatively weak in many cases, so I want the ascent line to stay right up at the branch/trunck union. A good way to keep that rope there is to run the tail off behind the trunk and in an opposite direction than the one the limb is on, down to the anchor point on the nearby tree...keeps the line from creeping out the limb.

Why not just use your VT hitch at your waist? I only use one rope, I'm not high tech enough to have one rope for access and then a second line for working. Besides, that would tend to get the ground guys tangled (The ones who aren't very skilled with chainsaws, but are using them around my ropes). Especially if there's any lowering work to do.

Anyways, by using my friction hitch as my backup, I don't have to retie it once I'm in the tree. I just lanyard in, untie the end of my lifeline, then attach it to my saddle with a biner and I'm DdRT ready to work.

But if the ascender above that hitch failed, wouldnt it be likely to slide down atop the hitch thereby releasing it? Or do you think it would catch first?

Im not harping you bud, Im just playing the devil's advocate.

I prefer a dedicated ascent line, because if you run into problems half way up (in mid air) the transition to descending is much easier and faster.

I don't advise using a porta-wrap or figure 8 at the base of the tree. Too easy to undo, and if you are not careful, the whole shebang comes shebanging down.

I like the 'Freedom foot ascender' (Pantin, but that is french, and this is the U.S.) :)
But check out the new CMI foot ascender. It looks to me like it wont jump off the rope as easily.

Back