Sizwill? Sizwheel? Whizzy? WTH (What the Heck)

So I learned something new.
But I can sort of see the logic in that.

Besides the fact that I don't have the temper to deal with people like Dent, I'd have liked to train with him.

The way I was taught the Swizwill was no block cut. Usually used in conjunction with a Swing Dutchman. Bore vertically on the tension side even and perpendicular to the apex of the face. It creates a "post" of tension wood which usually aids in pulling the tree after the swing that was started by the bypass on the Swing cut.

That's how I use it. I use swing dutchmen on more than 50% of the timber I fall and sizwheels on up to half of those. . I didn't read all 6 pages yet.

A sizwheel with a stepped kerf dutchman is the only way to reliably swing Southeast Alaska Red Cedar. And cottonwoods in general. Poplar also.
When done right it can be used to swing trees a full 180° from their lean without having to beat a wedge. But sizwheels will pull part of the stump sometimes so ya gotta watch that.

I also use it on hard frozen trees and White spruce snags. . Any thing that has brittle holding wood benefits from a sizwheel.

A Swizwill is a Dutchman.

Uh ah. Dutchmen are kerfs or something stuck in the face. A siz is a vertical bored cut or cuts on the holding wood side/ tension side of the stump of a some cases the butt log

Thanks Willie: Hey did you ever notice that the deeper you saw a sizwill into the stump, the longer the fiber-pull strands will be on the tension side? Pretty cool.

The longer/ taller. Vertical the siz is and the wider the opening is the more the holding wood can flex which keeps the tree hooked to the stump longer allowing the face to do it's job putting the tree where the face is pointed.

Sizwheels and dutchmen are actually very easy to do and understand. Until government or corporate financing come into play. Then every little nuance gets it own name and the whole thing get ###### up. . A kerf dutchman let's gravity settle a tree which can move the top of it toward the face. A siz just makes your holding wood stronger. I know that alot of arbs don't get the opportunity to do alot of production timber falling. And only by swinging ALOT of trees can anyone get good and reliable with swing cuts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks a ton, Cold Logger. Thought it was interesting, what you said about Poplars and Cottonpigs. Being a res. arb. myself, I'd be out of my mind to ever try to swing a tree away from its favor via a dutchman, or something like that; but I do use the sizwill all the time when wedging side-leaners, and I've been absolutely amazed by how much fiber you can pull with it (the sizwill) out of those crummy trees.

Might get the chance to do some cutting for a small, local logging outfit this fall. Gotta feelin I might be loosin one or two over backwards due to some amateur swing hi-jinx. :P:|::O:roll: (in that order)

Nice pic there and Jed in the vid does a superb job. I agree with him that you definetly do not want a dutchman on the compression side, unlike others advocate earlier in this thread.

Mr. Girard: Thank you so much for that inadvertent, “Cold Logging,” bump. That guy had more knowledge about sawchain in his little finger than I had in my entire body.

this place is such a treasure. It contains the thoughts of guys, who may die of a heart attack 2 1/2 weeks after they have written it.

all that I have to do is think about certain posts in which cold logger had talked about the difference in driver drag, in the bar groove, between square chisel, and round chisel, and I realize that the experience that this place is reflective of is absolutely invaluable.

I ask you gentlem: Where else could a person be expected to learn that he who increases top plate angle, increases driver drag in the groove?

Parasitic Drag. An often overlooked concept with the race-chain crowd.;)

Hey Jed, I had 3 heart attacks and almost died 2-1/2 years ago, but sure hope that I don't die too soon! You're right, the TH is a great place to learn and share info...never stop learning!

Say hi to Jake for me please!

Yeah, one of my big fears, is greenhorns thinking that they can use the Sizwill cut to swing a REALLY hard side leaner that actually should have a side-line on it.

DON'T get greedy with any types of cuts!

I don't see any posts by Cold logging in this thread, did they get deleted?

I ask you gentlem: Where else could a person be expected to learn that he who increases top plate angle, increases driver drag in the groove?

I missed him saying that so now I'm curious how he concluded that and more importantly, does it make a difference in day to day cutting?

I had a lot of trouble swallowing his act when he said something along the lines of that he could hold a 394 with a 30" bar straight out from his body holding it by the rear handle:lol:

Ever since I saw our Youtube friend and fellow TH member Jed show Jake "Guilty of Treeson" the Sizwill cut, I have been searching for the history of where this cut has come from and who first used it?

Go to min 24:54 in the video to see Jed explain and cut "The Sizwill."
(16) WORLD'S BEST TREE FELLING TUTORIAL! Way more information than you ever wanted on how to fell a tree! - YouTube

The below photo shows a Sizwill cut (not Jed's).
View attachment 105225
I cannot see myself using this cut in any scenario , then again I’m not as seasoned a faller as most of use guys ... from a physics perspective it looks like IF things go awry it could be good nite Irene !

That’s funny Corey, I don’t remember him saying that about the 390.😂😂

God knows I’m a sucker for just about every “new” thing that’s being clocked up, and maybe the way he put it, about the top-plate taking the driver along with it (in a sideways direction) made such an impression on me, that I had no doubts about it’s veracity.

Now I wish that I had read the one-handing of the 390 thing first.😂😂😂

Interesting, Cold Logging might be a fellow I conversed with from AS a bit ago (had a different logo)...haven't seen him post there in quite a spell but I don't frequent there much these days.

The way I view a Siswheel is that it is a "boutique" undercut that can certainly work, but I wouldn't necessarily trust it under situations where you have targets that can be damaged.

Have had a few not engage, also never assume it will or depend on it around structures, and curious to hear opinions on that. Same species, relative lean etc and no catastrophic failure, hinge just acts as it would normally.

lNo, he wasn't willard, I don't remember his first name.

Hmm, his posts are just not there for me in this thread. Maybe he was/is on ignore but they should still show up there, just not be displayed in full, no?

What post # is it?

Last edited:
Btw, Jed, re the OP, have you ever made a dutchman on the far corner and then jammed a wedge in that kerf to perhaps give that corner more support than it would otherwise have if it were simply a non dutchman/properly cut, far corner?

Huh. Nope, #52 and 53 are MIA.

He had some good input there.

Back