Sizwill? Sizwheel? Whizzy? WTH (What the Heck)

Tried the Sizwheel on a Euc. today for the first time. I'm possibly one of those people that they warn you not to give cutting info. over the internet to. Now I get to replace 30 feet of fence as well as finish chipping the brush on those trees. Seriously, I was going to dump that tree anyway and the way I saw it the Sizwheel could only help me. It pulled some long fibers on the up hill side but, I think I left too much on the low side and it sheered a lot (6 in. on a 32in. spar). I'll practice on some trees in the clear.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ha! You and me BOTH Merle! Sorry about the fence repair. I've had to replace many a slat over the years myself. :|:

One thing that I found pretty surprising about the sizwill, is that the deeper you saw the darn thing, the deeper the fiber-pull seems to be. I guess "go deep or go home," is the moral of that one.

Willie: You're a fine one to ask for pics! We haven't had a pic or a vid out of you since the amazing folding tree. How do you do it anyway? (post pics)

IMG_20130226_121049[1].jpg Ya, Willie!

Post pics by clicking the "Go Advanced" tab below the "Quick Reply" box you type in normally. Click "Manage Attachments". Click "Upload Attachments" or "upload". Click "Browse" to find the file. Then Upload them, and click "insert inline" or something like that, possibly having to check the box of the photo you wish to insert inline. Then maybe "Done".

:) haha I haven't done much since then. ... I could post fishing pix or perhaps a video on how to drink a mocha without your pinkie up. .

Splitting a tractor this afternoon if thats cool enough for today

mava7yqy.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, that's cool enough Willie. Wow. Whacha gonna use THAT pig for?

It's my father in law. He has owned it since the 60's. It has a big front loader, 3 point, draw bar, front and rear pto. He has a back hoe, 8 foot rotovater etc. It works all the time

Tried the Sizwheel on a Euc. today for the first time. I'm possibly one of those people that they warn you not to give cutting info. over the internet to. Now I get to replace 30 feet of fence as well as finish chipping the brush on those trees. Seriously, I was going to dump that tree anyway and the way I saw it the Sizwheel could only help me. It pulled some long fibers on the up hill side but, I think I left too much on the low side and it sheered a lot (6 in. on a 32in. spar). I'll practice on some trees in the clear.

Here are some pictures I took of my first Siswheel (assisted) attempt. I had a 3/4 inch line in the tree at about 70 feet, was pulling with a 4x4 pick up. The tree had a lot of side lean and a lot of limb weight to the same side. I did both the cut and adding tension. I tensioned it up, set up the face with my best attempt at the Sizwheel, added more tension, put in the back cut as deep as I dared, and went back out and pulled the tree.

DSCF5172.jpg

DSCF5173.jpg

Here are a couple of pics off the top of the stump. Unfortunately I had already run a saw across the pulled fibers. (Odd cuts are ‘don’t grow back’ reservoirs installed for the customer to use.)

DSCF5169.jpg DSCF5170.jpg

And how did it go? Hinge looks thick enough to maybe not swing...
Stig reccomends gutting the hinge which makes sense to allow each corner to function to it's fullest effect

And how did it go? Hinge looks thick enough to maybe not swing...
Stig reccomends gutting the hinge which makes sense to allow each corner to function to it's fullest effect

Also I don't see the whizzy cuts..

Sorry it was not clear. These were pics of tree taken down back on 3-18-13.It did not go as originally intended. However I traded the homeowner, a contractor, some extra saw work that he could not do for the fence mend. He ended up happier than with the original deal, asked for a stack of cards and has me slated for further Euc. removal.

DSCF5164.jpg

I am seeing some of the potential flaws myself now but, didn’t want to say anything and slow down/hamper the flow of information my way. One flaw being that I used a narrow pie shaped relief cut out as the Sizwheel. (Stump picture with the boots, opposite the boots and left side. Notice the nose of the bar was used on left one third of face cut.) I think I got a 3 inch tall and tapering pie shaped piece out of there. This is one 36 in. stem off a 70 +or- in. tree stump. Felling cut was made 5 or 6 feet off the ground.

If you call a sizzwil a Dutchman, I think you could probably call a German cut a dutchman,too........or?

Apart from the fact that you'd piss both the German and the dutch off, of course.

If you call a sizzwil a Dutchman, I think you could probably call a German cut a dutchman,too........or?

Apart from the fact that you'd piss both the German and the dutch off, of course.

I was taught by that short bastard along with a few hundred other skilled fallers that a Dutchman intentional/unintentional is any alteration of the standard facecut/backcut relationship. Some examples, Kerf Dutchman, Step Dutchman, Swizwill, Swing Dutchman, Gap/block face, Coos Bay, Post cut, or as some folks call it erroneously the Murphy Step cut, Gutting the hinge from the face, etc.

Back