Sizwill? Sizwheel? Whizzy? WTH (What the Heck)

Jed

TreeHouser
Gentlemen: The wife and daughter brought me home some super strong ale tonight (8.4%!!!) so I will TRY to keep this very brief and NOT act like the jack-ass that all of you know me to be.

Here's the deal: I am (no laughing please) giving a company talk in front of our brand-new corporate safety director TOMORROW MORNING, the topic of which is, Hinge Mechanics/ and or/ Stump Forensics (Burnhams' phrase).

I am to discuss alternative measures at the stump, for handling head-leaners, side-leaners, etc., and I actually DON'T REALLY KNOW FOR SURE, why a sizwill would ever be used instead of a normal gapped face.

Here is what I intend to say: "When you have a gap at the hinge, the compression wood is able to flex forward much more readily than if we had sawn-in a traditional pinch. However, when we're dealing with heavy, or even moderate side-leaners, the compression on the far corner (assuming we are cutting on the safe side of the tree) can become so great, that to have a more standard gapped-face could render our hinge prone to torsion failure on the far corner; so, instead we put in a Sizwill, because the contiguous wood-fibers on the far corner will contribute much more compression strength than a gapped face would, although we still retain the advantages of a gap on our tension side."

Do you gentlemen agree with this? If not: why the deuce would anyone saw in a sizwill, if they could just knock-out a normal gapped-face, or German-cut??:?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tucker: Don't know how to post images! :|:

Butch: It's when you have a gap at one side (or corner) of the face-cut, but not at the other.

So if the extra chop out on the tension side, and the extra chunk left on the compressions side ... it is an "intentional Dutchman" ... ? .... (I don't speak McScwizzle at all, looking for translation I guess)

Yes. As I know it, only used it a few times, it is meant to swing a tree away from its lean. I have had some luck with it with plenty of room and a healthy tree.

Altissimus: Yeah, that's one way to think about it, only, with a Dutchman, we'd be loosing a ton of hinge strength (due to the compression distribution that the gap affords) than we would with a sizwill.

Husabud: Thanks tons for the help man. BTW: Jack from the "hotsaws" youtube channel has tons of great clips of the NorCal version of the sizwill. If only an inbread could post stuff!

Altissimus: Yeah, that's one way to think about it, only, with a Dutchman, we'd be loosing a ton of hinge strength (due to the compression distribution that the gap affords) than we would with a sizwill.

.... yep ... to be more accurate intentional dutchman with block out ... when needed , a good one. Can move a top over quite a ways. Mostly I used it in the woods, make the lay , avoid other tops... sometimes clearing build sites near lines with pull trees too

a more standard gapped-face could render our hinge prone to torsion failure on the far corner

That is why. Your not really prone to the "torsional" failure if the compression side is not gapped. Not really a Dutchman in my mind as there is no by pass cuts on the hinge.

Thanks Willie: Hey did you ever notice that the deeper you saw a sizwill into the stump, the longer the fiber-pull strands will be on the tension side? Pretty cool.

The way I was taught the Swizwill was no block cut. Usually used in conjunction with a Swing Dutchman. Bore vertically on the tension side even and perpendicular to the apex of the face. It creates a "post" of tension wood which usually aids in pulling the tree after the swing that was started by the bypass on the Swing cut.

Willie, technically any alteration of the "standard" face cut/back cut is a Dutchman. Whether intentional or not.

... when the Ski area had me train "Game of logging" .... course was quite convinced their way was THE way ... I wonder if they teach these

The way you put it, sounds fine to me, Jed.

There seem to be several definitions of a sizweel/whizzy/whatever out there, but if you use the drawing ( which I believe Carl originally made, to illustrate something I wrote) they'll know what you are talking about.

Searching for: Germa cut, wWhizzy and Sizwheel in older threads will probably yield some info.

Husabud: Ha! How'd you know it was beer-thirty way out here!

Gentlemen: Thanks to you all. Went waaaay better than I expected. The new corporate guy didn't know too much about falling, so I could have said pretty much anything as far as he was concerned. The boys were another matter though. I had the deuce of a time explaining why--with a standard gapped face opening--we WANT the compressed wood-fibers at the front of the hinge to flex and give and bend as much as possible, but with a moderate to heavy side-leaner we wouldn't because it would contribute to the failure of our far corner. It was really weird though: seemed like, in the end, just about everyone "got it," even, as in the case of some of the guys, quite by accident, and without truly apprehending any of the real physical factors at play. Kind of a weird day all told..... and BTW the new safety guy (despite not knowing much about felling) was an absolute brick. The guy actually came out to our job and dragged a ton of brush for us. Now how many corporate folk do you gentlemen know who will do THAT!

Back