Rain Gear for Tree Climbers

My house.

I cant say I have some good bona fide tree climbing rain gear. If its a light rain, I tune it out. If its heavy enough to bother me, I don't climb. I keep of few pairs of bibs and jackets in the trucks of that flame resistant neon yellow stuff Baileys sells with the reflective stripes on it. I cant say I climb in it, but its reasonable stuff for storm clean up in a downpour. It doesn't breathe all that well, but it stands up to the rigors of handling tree material.

Brian,

Look no further than this:

Carhartt #C72 - This is the long version of their breathable rain Jacket. The long is important because it covers the waist and keeps you much drier than a short version.
https://www.google.com/search?clien...UTF-8#q=carhartt+c72&rls=en&safe=off&tbm=shop

Carhartt #B216 - Waterproof breathable pants, full 2 way heel to hip zip (awesome for on/off with boots and for venting the upper leg in steamy conditions), Full double layer front, you can tear all the way through the first 3 ply layer and there is an entire 3 ply breathable waterproof layer under that.
https://www.google.com/search?q=car...a=X&ei=8fVGUq3oLaS52QXDj4DYBw&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAw

I have the exact set above, and it has lasted me 5+ years so far. I have never gotten wet wearing this stuff and have worked in crazy downpours at ground level, in the tree, and through the sleet storms of N.Ohio at 350' on the tower.

I use a simple yellow raincoat top with the sleeves cut short. If I need more than that, I shut it down and head to the house.

I call rainwear, warmgear as when I work in the rain I have zero intentions of staying dry. I have a Viking brand forestry rain coat that's a single unbreathable layer to cut heavy rain. I just carry a few spare shirts and woollies in the truck through the wet/cold season.

That's why I cut my raincoat into short sleeves. I don't mind my arms getting wet and it's a lot cooler.

That's a great idea, MB!
I use a columbia jacket I got on sale at an outlet store. $170 jacket for $45 bucks, it's held up great from abuse and breathes very well. I have a pair of army surplus goretex pants I got for $3 from the state of hawaii, that are still going strong after 10years.

As a climber working in the canopy of a tree, during a rain, I seldom got as wet as the fellows working under me on the ground. Go figure.

Through long experience I have learned that climbing and working in trees in the rain is bad ju-ju

Here on the plains where rain is not so frequent a rain day is a good day off to stay inside and get the equipment up to snuff......snow we like to work in ,
left coast woodcutters are the opposite:lol:
When I do work in light rain I wear a Husqvarna jacket with water proof shoulders and the rest is water resistant with lots of venting, also good hi- vis light reflective on it too. Like Jerry says stay out of the tree when raining.l

Ima girl, we melt in the rain doncha know...sugar and spice and all a that ;)

Although, having said all, it's actually bad on the bank account here, might have to approach the girl council and get dispensation to work in the rain...and shhh, don't tell Bermuda, they might revoke my passport...a sprinkle is a DEFINITE day off.

Unlike most of you guys, rain season is generally during the warm to hottest weather, and rain mixed with no rain on and off during the day is common, squalls I guess you could say. It can be refreshing in moderation. Staying cool with rain gear on is a real problem, sometimes you don't know if it is rain or sweat that is getting you. We pull the plug when lighting shows up or rumbling from far off, especially crane work. I have worked in some severe lengthy downpours when a job has to get finished. It tells me that I am alive. Typhoons generally mean wind as well...no thanks.

Climbing trees in the rain is an unsafe work practice.

Same as working in oppressive heat and humidity, right?

If I didn't climb trees in the rain, I wouldn't survive. Pick your battles. Spurless hardwood prunes and a lot of limb walking is one thing, spurs on typical conifers and easier/ moderate hardwoods, almost like no difference.

I don't think it's the same. Wet trees are slippery, especially noticeable when spurless trimming. You can really bust your ass.

Back