Rain Gear for Tree Climbers

We have species here that I simply wont spurless climb when wet. I'll wait until they are dry. Its just broken ribs waiting to happen.

We have species here that I simply wont spurless climb when wet. I'll wait until they are dry. Its just broken ribs waiting to happen.

I'm with you on this.

There is a lot that can be done spurlessly and wet, though. Sometimes double tie-ins. Some not. A lot depends on the shape and open gaps in the crown that are harder to navigate while double tied-in, preventing swings.

Same as working in oppressive heat and humidity, right?

If I didn't climb trees in the rain, I wouldn't survive. Pick your battles. Spurless hardwood prunes and a lot of limb walking is one thing, spurs on typical conifers and easier/ moderate hardwoods, almost like no difference.

That just came across as very black and white, Butch. No offense or whatnot, meant. We all have to know our own work situations, and all go home at the end of the day.

A lot of time gets wasted, which usually means losing money while increasing risk. Do any of you think sending out a crew of climbers to work in the rain a wise move? I know I don't. I know most of us are talking about just theirself working, but if it's bad for a crew, how is it not the same for one person?

Rain is just part of life, here. Snow, I don't really go out in snow, but we see Nick with BG out 40+/ 52 per.

Rained yesterday, some wind. Wasn't any more or less risky that working in the hot sun in a summer day. An umbrella of canopy keeps you somewhat sheltered. Once you pop the top, you find out its rainy or the sun is strong, and you work your way down the stem.

Pruning a canopy raise with some rain and wetness, not a big deal on a conifer, ...or a broadleaf if you have to rig it, like a slippery maple that could be . A sling as a footloop adds a ton of stablilty if you don't have good natural footholds, though I rarely employ this trick that I think we all know about.

Olympia Precipitation Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Annual
Precipitation (inches) 8.0 5.8 5.0 3.3 2.1 1.6 0.8 1.3 2.3 4.3 8.1 8.1 50.6
Days with Precipitation 0.01 inch or More 20.0 17.0 18.0 15.0 11.0 9.0 5.0 6.0 8.0 14.0 20.0 21.0 163 <-- -------------------------------163 days a year with precip
Monthly Snowfall (inches) 6.8 3.2 1.7 0.1 < 0.05 < 0.05 0.0 0.0 < 0.05 < 0.05 1.4 3.5 16.7

Lake Charles Precipitation Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Annual
Precipitation (inches) 4.5 3.6 3.3 3.3 5.7 5.0 5.2 5.3 5.7 4.0 4.3 5.0 54.8
Days with Precipitation 0.01 inch or More 10.0 8.0 8.0 7.0 8.0 9.0 11.0 11.0 9.0 6.0 8.0 9.0 104 <---------------------- 104

50 percent more rain days in Oly than Lake Charles (no Alexandria option) by that stat.

Different variations on a theme with various risks we each encounter.

You definitely pick you battles. PNW rain is generally not like midwest rain. I would say more slowly and steadily. I don't know how it rains in Louisiana.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great ideas for dry outerwear.

Any ideas for some work boots that keep your feet dry?

Unless the boots are rubber, they are only water resistant. If you don't believe me, try standing in a foot of water for an hour or so. Any material that breathes is also water permeable.

In the old days a product called 'Shoe Goo'. I'm surprised the retailers selling arborist supplies haven't caught on to this. A special light-weight boot with carpet soles would be a God Send for the arborist trimming in a wet canopy a lot.

My Viberg 105T s are still waterproof. At least until I go over the tops and I've been wearing them since 2002 or 2003 . . Any way I have kept track of my actual wear time and I have just shy of 37 months now of 6 day weeks most of it in places where we get over 100" of rain a year. Last month I had to do a bunch of cutting standing in criks. With it pouring all day. My feet wear mostly dry at the end of each day. The water on my socks came from my chaps and pants down into my feet. Not from coming thru my boots.

But, I take good care of my boots and my boots take good care of me.
I've found " Free Sole " sticks better than should goo. . Madsen's sells it. I put it on my XTra Tuffs, as kind of wear bars along the back of the shaft stay and in the front where the top rubs on the foot when I roll them down. Modern Extra Tuffs are a lot softer than they were 30 years ago. The carpet makes good sense. . Kinda like wool socks sticking to ice. .

carhart rain gear for me, bib overalls and coat,
the sleeves and neck have a wetsuit like material in them, and it keeps the water from entering
wesco boots, 2 changes of socks

Yes they do,,???
Kulien, Viberg, Buffalo, White, Wesco. Are all waterproof if kept oiled and taken care of.

Unless the boots are rubber, they are only water resistant. If you don't believe me, try standing in a foot of water for an hour or so. Any material that breathes is also water permeable.

I agree with Glen here. I started wearing Kuliens when I was falling timber on the west coast, and worked in the rain primarily, especially in Southeast Alaska(13 feet of rain average per year). I couldn't stand rubber boots, as I like the toughness and stability of leathers, especially cork (caulked) boots. I mostly ran wesco, off the shelf, corks in Montany and Idaho, but they were no match for west coast wetness, no matter how much I greased them. The leather that Kulien uses is premium, and if kept oiled or greased regularly, they are badass. Not once did my feet get wet even in my four years in Alaska. Now that I am a tree climber, and need vibram soles, the kuliens have only gotten my feet wet when I am doing a tree job by a ditch and am constantly wading in the water and it gets over the top of them...no bs, if it was just a few inches of water, and I was not standing in it for hours, my feet would not get wet. The vibram soles on them however, seem to be wearing out way too fast, so with the price that I paid for them, and with winter coming on (I wanted some insulation for warmth) I decided to try a custom built pair of Wesco "highliners"http://www.wescoboots.com/wesco/info.asp
My Brother, who is a west coast timber faller, had tried a custom pair of their cork boots with the cambrelle and thinsulate lining, and said he loved them...which is another reason I decided to give them a try. Here are the specs of the boots that I ordered, and will be receiving them in a couple of weeks:CUSTOM FIT HIGHLINER®
STYLE BK9716CT100R (Size: Send Me A Form)
+Single-Tone:Black
+16" Height
+Side Flaps (standard)
+Lace-To-Toe
+Cambrelle with Thinsulate Lining
+#100R Vibram® Sole
+Standard Heel Height
+Brass Hooks & Eyelets
+Lightweight Black Upper Stitching
+Black Kevlar Heavy Upper Stitching
+Black Kevlar Outsole Stitching
+Black Nylon Laces
+Rush Fee
They were $838! Now, keep in mind that these are custom built for my feet, with an added heel length on the right boot, with a rush order fee of $125. The guys in the custom fit department were very helpful in choosing my options. I will report back when I get them, and have a chance to try them out for a while, but I am optomistic that they will be badass.

In the old days a product called 'Shoe Goo'. I'm surprised the retailers selling arborist supplies haven't caught on to this. A special light-weight boot with carpet soles would be a God Send for the arborist trimming in a wet canopy a lot.
I use shoo goo all the time, for just about any application. If I really want something to hold in the right application, I use either freesole, or sealall. Sealall even works for gluing the annoying caps on piggyback gas jugs, as it is fuel resistant.

Back