Patron Saint of Bore-Cutters

Your modified coos bay was a lot of fooling around. Looks like close to 5 minutes on that tree, only to crush the bar and get stuck holding the saw at the stump with a ton of fiber pull.. I'd be very surprised if that bar didn't get damaged with all the weight of that tree on it.. That vid looks like an embarrassment unless you were trying to show how not to do it.

I have a unlisted vid of a similar sized front leaning ash, not quite as big and not quite as much font lean.. 90 seconds... short bar, dull saw .. no fiber pull, clean log, clean low stump... Bixler and BOTS have seen ..

Post it up then

VWyRECL.gif

"Your modified coos bay was a lot of fooling around"

That is kind of rich, coming from the guy who regularly fools around pulling trees over with a skid steer " To learn from the creation of an intentional barber chair" :lol:

If you had read what I wrote, you'd realize the reason I spend some time fooling around with this tree.

Of course I could simply have slapped one of your world famous "Micro notches" on her and let fly from behind.

That surely would have saved time and even produced one of those intentional barberchairs, that you are so fond of.

In this case the intentional barberchair would probably have been of the category that kills both the log, the sawyer and the saw, so as much as it pained me, I abstained.

The way I see it, you missed two parts of my post.

" saving the log and being afraid the tree was structurally compromized"

Unlike you, who can apparently blow up clients trees ( and scrubbery and adjacent trees and other items) left and right with no consequences, I happen to work in a business where saving the log is the first priority.

( that is if you are a forest owner, being a logger, I have saving the sawyer as first priority, but still like it a lot when both are possible).

If I had been sure that the tree was sound, I'd have bored out the middle, while doing a LOT of reaming, then put in a facecut, still reaming like crazy and tripped her from behind.
Total time would have probably been less than 2 minutes.

Like I wrote, I had a pretty good idea that this tree was rotten, since most of it's neighbours were.

Try reaming out the middle of a leaning tree with core rot and see what that gets you!

So I used a hybrid between a Coos bay and an Open Golden triangle.
Got my bar tip pinched when the tree decided to pull fiber and go before I thought it would, but that bar is still killing trees on M?n and so am I.

I'm sure that in your own mind, you could have done waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better in that situation, but I'm also equally sure that it is a situation, you have never been in.

Burnham, the moment I saw that handle dangling in the video, my first though was: " Burnham is going to give me hell for this" :lol:

It is not due to a slack cord but to the stupid little piece of rubber that Stihl put into the handle to make saws easier to start with out recoil bothering the sensitive hands of the person starting them, being broken.

While I can see a possible use for those on amateur saws, I fail to see it on saws built to be started by the horny hands of loggers.

In my mind they are in the same category as the stupid pressure relieve valves, that no real man would ever use.

That is not nitpicking.
I got on his case myself when I picked up his saw.

He had a good excuse. Nearest new handle was at least an hours drive away.

One problem with being stuck in a logging camp on the most remote southern island, there are no parts to be had.

My new and much beloved ( I'll make a thread about that, when I have time) MS 462 spit out the circlip holding the clutch housing in after 2 hours of use.
I had to wait an entire week to replace it.

That sucked!

"Your modified coos bay was a lot of fooling around"

That is kind of rich, coming from the guy who regularly fools around pulling trees over with a skid steer " To learn from the creation of an intentional barber chair" :lol:

If you had read what I wrote, you'd realize the reason I spend some time fooling around with this tree.

Of course I could simply have slapped one of your world famous "Micro notches" on her and let fly from behind.

That surely would have saved time and even produced one of those intentional barberchairs, that you are so fond of.

In this case the intentional barberchair would probably have been of the category that kills both the log, the sawyer and the saw, so as much as it pained me, I abstained.

The way I see it, you missed two parts of my post.

" saving the log and being afraid the tree was structurally compromized"

Unlike you, who can apparently blow up clients trees ( and scrubbery and adjacent trees and other items) left and right with no consequences, I happen to work in a business where saving the log is the first priority.

( that is if you are a forest owner, being a logger, I have saving the sawyer as first priority, but still like it a lot when both are possible).

If I had been sure that the tree was sound, I'd have bored out the middle, while doing a LOT of reaming, then put in a facecut, still reaming like crazy and tripped her from behind.
Total time would have probably been less than 2 minutes.

Like I wrote, I had a pretty good idea that this tree was rotten, since most of it's neighbopurs were.

Try reaming out the middle of a tree with core rot and see what that gets you!

So I used a hybrid between a Coos bay and an Open Golden triangle.
Got my bar tip pinched when the tree decided to pull fiber and go before I thought it would, but that bar is still killing trees on M?n and so am I.

I'm sure that in your own mind, you could have done waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better in that situation, but I'm also equally sure that it is a situation, you have never been in.

While I appreciate your explanation of the concern about center rot, What did you think a tree with that heavy front lean was going to do when plunged in on the compression side?????

Maybe when you cut another 250,000 trees you'll figure out that the plunge should have started towards the back in the tension wood. Just common sense to me... Your mighty mouthy, but your vids are unimpressive...

That would be: " You are mighty mouthy".
It is a bad sign for sure when foreigners have to point out your faults in writing English:lol:

"Plunged in on the compression side", You need to get your prescription for glasses updated, I was whittling away on the low side when that tree decided to go over.

Your feelings about my videos pretty much match mine on yours.

I've never seen one from your hand that did anything to me, apart from making me chuckle.

Difference is, I only make videos because Gary sent me a camera, I have not the least idea that they will make me an amazing ground breaking, trail blazing, way out on the far edge of arborist treework guru like you.

I'm happy enough just being a dumb logger.:D

That would be: " You are mighty mouthy".
It is a bad sign for sure when foreigners have to point out your faults in writing:lol:

"Plunged in on the compression side", You need to get your prescription for glasses updated, I was whittling away on the low side when that tree decided to go over.

Your feelings about my videos pretty much match mine on yours.

I've never seen one from your hand that did anything to me, apart from making me chuckle.

Difference is, I only make videos because Gary sent me a camera, I have not the least idea that they will make me a ground breaking,trail blazing, way out on the far edge of arborist treework, guru.

I'm happy enough just being a dumb logger.:D

You had plenty off the sides... no need to cut more... what you call it whittling away was needless fooling around.. NO WAY was that tree going to BBC after that much off the sides.. You started your whittle by drawing the tip down the apex of the notch with the bar at only a slight angle to the cut, then turned more towards perpendicular as you switched hand position and pushed the nose straight in... That oh patron saint of bore cutting is a bore cut...

Maybe you should send the camera back to Gary and stick to telling everyone how great you are instead of showing off your mistakes..

I just reviewed the video and for the life of me I can't see that plunge or bore cut.
I can see myself doing a lot of needless whittling away getting my bar tip pinched as the tree goes down, But I've already said that the tree went before I anticipated.
It really sucks when the trees haven't read the script for the video.
If I ever make another tree felling video, I'll make sure to go over the script with the tree a couple of times before to avoid silly mishaps like that.

You do realize that the whole " Patron saint of bore cutters" is a joke, right?
Aimed at my West coast cutter friends, mostly.

I do have friends, you see.
Maybe that is because I don't take myself very seriously.

Unlike some.

Thanks for my laugh of the day! :lol:

Daniel, your high opinion of yourself is only exceeded by your ignorance. You don't know what you don't know. Give it a rest.

After all the bs stupid crap you've posted on here over the years Daniel. You've got a lot of nerve running your mouth. Classless.

I've had to explain things to people here year after year.... . Everybody thought I was reckless or lucky for about three years.... Why ... Cause they had never seen anything like it.. posted videos of things most didn't even think were possible.. Pulling over heavy backleaners, jump cuts, throwing tops.... vertical snap cuts.. Step cuts, plate cuts. You all can go around patting each other on the back congratulating yourselves for being the best tree men that ever walked the earth... But you're not even close...

I have more tricks in the bag than any of you could imagine, and would have been happy to share but you'd rather sling mud....

Stig may be in the good old boys club here, but video doesn't lie!

You're full on delusional man. Lots of,people do crappy treework year in and out. It doesn't make it revolutionary. It's still crappy.

Back