Should they have cut this tree from the top down instead of felling?

Proved my point today:

If I’d had a vehicle to pull faster (inertia like @SeanKroll says) I would have dumped the whole tree. 🤠

Depending on species I would have done a gap aka block face, more hinge. *except he did mention he wanted it to break eventually.

Higher back cut, conventional vs. bore. If you gotta pull it a long way, it’s brittle, and you don’t want it to snap, apparently triple hinge aka shark gill cut. Haven’t tried them yet myself. Of course, a fast pull would mostly negate all that.

I think they used the opportunity to show a technique.

If I’d had a vehicle to pull faster (inertia like @SeanKroll says) I would have dumped the whole tree. 🤠

Depending on species I would have done a gap aka block face, more hinge. *except he did mention he wanted it to break eventually.

Higher back cut, conventional vs. bore. If you gotta pull it a long way, it’s brittle, and you don’t want it to snap, apparently triple hinge aka shark gill cut. Haven’t tried them yet myself. Of course, a fast pull would mostly negate all that.

I think they used the opportunity to show a technique.
I'm trying to get shark operculum to catch on. ;-)

New word to me. I had to look it up. The first hit I got said: “Sharks lack an operculum.” So does that make shark operculum like sailboat fuel?
So it seems sharks lack operculum.

Gill openings, instead.

Gills are softer tissue.

Last edited:
Today experimented: a block face quad gill on a side leaning dead dry oak. Hit the lay but beat my guts out with wedges for nearly 15
Minutes. Had them 4 high at the end. Multiplate hinges are for pulling, not wedging. 😆

Jack that action with a bottle jack. Keep the wedges tight if the tree is moving in the wind.

Throw lining for a pull rope with a base-tie is quick and easy (after years of swearing and honing). You would probably be looking for reasonable height shots. Deciduous trees, here, generally are easier than conifers, as they tend to have "y"s.

The tree actually already had a rope in it from someone trying to brute force pull it over…but this was a wood fiber/hinge/cut experiment. Dead dry. No cheating! Was a long ways in the lay to where I could pull from and don’t currently have the winch in the truck. I wish I had a jack, I would have done that. Or just less stupid hinges 😆

I took video, but I gotta figure out how to edit/speed up the endless wedge banging.

IMG_3771.jpeg

Or just use a standard gapped hinge. Or the German cut hinge.

I get it that you were experimenting. Me, I just keep doing the same old things that have worked well for me for several decades now. Dull, I know.
:D

Today experimented: a block face quad gill on a side leaning dead dry oak. Hit the lay but beat my guts out with wedges for nearly 15
Minutes. Had them 4 high at the end. Multiplate hinges are for pulling, not wedging. 😆
Head leaners, dude, head leaners!

Back