Patron Saint of Bore-Cutters

Good to have you back, Burnham.
I really missed you in this thread.

Thank you, my friend. Seems to me that you carried my water pretty well though ;). You and your crew really show how it should be done, long bar or short.

I was quoting him in reference to myself.

Well my friend, we can easily agree that Ed has mad skills over a wide range of fields, and brass balls beyond compare. But you are no slouch in tree work either. Don't sell yourself short, 'cause I ain't buying it :). I'd be proud to work with you any day.

Man, Jed is going to be tickled to have a trick named after him Cory:thumbup:

Stig, from those two videos it looks like sop is to back chain bore and set the right hand side, then sweep all the way to the left side. Any tips on quickly setting the hinge on the right hand side that way?

Damn fine demo thanks for sharing, the face cut on the second video was just sooo smooth.

Go in a ways back from where you intend the hinge to be, square up, then cut to thickness.

If you cut too much away of the hinge, go get the tube of hinge-glue in the truck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you cut too much away of the hinge, go get the tube of hinge-glue in the truck.
And you tell the new guy that it's right next to the board stretcher in the truck. If it's not there, it's under the Turbo Encabulator.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ac7G7xOG2Ag?rel=0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So I bore cut my first tree the other day. Actually, I practiced first on an 18" Red Bud, but that was with a 20" 346, so it certainly qualified as a practice shot. Then I went for it on a 3'x4' "Mongolian" elm trunk & spar, bore cut with our 24" bar 372. It went down pretty text book, with wedges not a pull line. I'm sure I was nowhere near as smooth as your apprentices in the video, but it was a qualified success.

I'm glad we get a chance to unlock/share some of the knowledge experience you have. It's cool that we can get educated by a Danish logger way over there.

Good for you.:)
Thanks!
My personal felling count is only in the 100s. Our foreman is in the tens of thousands; still nothing compared to your quarter million count! It's not as though bore cutting is unknown to him, but as mentioned, he only tends to use it when the saw just isn't big enough (a monster silver maple or "Mongolian" elm that eclipses our bar length), or when there's an obstruction to the back cut. As it is, I'm always looking to draw on the wealth of experience available and gain new tricks to add to the repertoire. I found your couple videos far more practical and methodical just watching than anything I've yet seen on YouTube.

Last Wednesday I bore cut a 30' cedar. It was growing right against a chain link fence, bulging out the fence -- no space for a backcut. At least the lean was favorable away from the fence. I had the groundman hold the fence away and bore cut it, feathering out the backstrap to release it without hitting the chain link. It laid down slow & beautiful. Saved the log for milling.

Given the lean into an open area, if it weren't for the fence I wouldn't have bore cut it. 20" trunk, 24" bar on the 372. But if it weren't for becoming more knowledgeable and gaining experience with bore cutting, I wouldn't have had the confidence to approach a tree like that growing against a fence. So thanks again, Stig (would love to see some more videos, perhaps of you training your new interviewee!). 10 (or so) bore cuts under my belt. 249,990 more to go to catch up to you!

I'll make a video next week when we start falling ash.
I have an easy way to set and cut a backstrap on a leaner, that I think you'll like.

I'll make a video next week when we start falling ash.
I have an easy way to set and cut a backstrap on a leaner, that I think you'll like.

That's what I like to read.....:D

Looking forward to seeing how you do it over there.

Back