more mini notches

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jay,
Here's an email I just got last night:
"Hey my name Brent B____y i just wonted to say i enjoy your videos on Youtube i am form Wilmington north carolina. I have been in the tree business for 6 years as a groundsman and i have not seen people in wilmington do rigging like you do.I would like to learn to climb and do rigging and rope techniques one day. Keep up the good work thank you Brent "

I get feedback like that regularly.. So is it me that is being selfish and self centered for putting all these videos on youtube, where people from around the world can see tree work getting done on a level, though not perfect in every way, is far beyond the level that 95% of them have or will ever see otherwise.

Or is it you that is being self centered and elitist, thinking that just becasue I put an extra 20 seconds into making a notch, that is somehow is offensive to your sense of mastery. Most arborists would do well to take that extra 20 seconds..

Things kind of tossed in a heap here... I can understand why Brian gets upset, and hopefully Gary can put it into a wider perspective and not be bothered by the heat of the moment.

Imo, it's disrespectful to people to attempt to teach something with poor examples based on very insular, unproven, or to the extreme; false premises....keep throwing it at them. I shoulda woulda is after the fact. I consider myself a reasonably sensitive person in terms of expression and creativity, been making things for a select clientele all my life and living off the proceeds, and one potentially very boring and tedious aspect of the creative process, is when people make something mainly inspired by their own self indulgence, and offer it up as having broad meaningfulness for others. The lifetime of usefulness for these things tends to be very short at best. Sure, there may be a few who may want to find a purposefulness for themselves in it, but on the grand scale of things, I consider it wasteful bs that unfairly conscripts most people's time. These videos being put up really smack of it, from where I sit.

The world just doesn't need much more in the way of convoluted ideas or selfish expression, it's time to get real. There are lots of really excellent examples to show what can be much more positively accomplished by more studied and practiced ways, along with being better conveyed with the refined and disciplined manner of teaching it. There are some other treehouse members doing just that.

For fear of being self indulgent myself, speech over....and as someone once wisely said, "Beware of false teachers".

... Gerry has some REAL instructional videos available ... using proven techniques as well as humbly demonstrating TRUE expert saw handling , Felling , Climbing , and Rigging ... perhaps when you get the check from your next amazing removal you could buy them ... watch them ... and learn ....

Can you do me a courtesy Daniel;

Daniel, just out of curiosity, do you find it hard work defending your corner on so many different sites?

I know of at least 3 tree forums you frequent and post vids, all of which are attacked in the same manner, all be it some in stronger language than the others.

It leads me to think of three points,

1, is it not having some effect on you, ie do you not feel outnumbered, and perhaps its time to listen for a change?

2, how on earth do you manage to find time to do any tree work, as im sure all these posts (on different forums) from you must take up a massive amount of your life?

3, Is it all worth it?

I am being straight with you, so please answer in the same.

I am interested to know where you intend going from here?

Will you persist with the direction you have taken so far?

What's a double cut notch?
I've been gutting hinges for a long time...you should try it Murph...removes the need for a skid steer in many situations...high lift wedge and a bit of a pull...ta da.

Mind you, I had a crane pull my last one over so who am I to talk...;)

Ten years is the minimum period of time to know what you are talking about....then you need another ten to be sure.

I'm sorry you are so slow, Gary.
But if you are still learning from Daniel's pathetic videos after 5 years at the Treehouse and 15-20 years of practical experience doing treework then perhaps it would be best if you quit now instead of continuing in ignorance. If you are serious about not being able to spot a Dutchman until seeing this video today then WTF are you doing running a chainsaw? If you are seriously that impaired then there are no words to describe your incompetence.

Unless you were just using this as an excuse to criticize me and further the petty bickering which emanates from all of Murphy's threads. :what:

Well, just dang...my truly first honest impulse is to just laugh off the BS above and not reply to it at all. But I assume Brian wants some kind of response or I'll be perceived as intimidated somehow.

Yep, I am slower than you, first to admit it.

Learning...yep, that I am still doing, and from Daniel's videos (and especially the thought-out responses folks give...as opposed to mean-spirited, petty, insecure commenting).

Dutchman...I don't see all or know all...didn't even know what a Dutchman was until a few years ago...I learned about them here at the House. I am glad when folks point out things like that.

Running a chainsaw, impaired and incompetence...not worth the trouble to try to make any sense of some of what you say.

"Unless you were just using this as an excuse to criticize me"...trust me, I have got better things to do than pick on you...or anybody. It's a huge waste of time and energy...live and let live, try to be civil to folks. However, if someone insists on being a true ass I will be glad to "throw down" with the best of you. You just gotta be sure it is worth it...most of the time it is not.

I say it's just time to move on...peace.

View attachment 28143

OK, we have a hundred posts in this thread along with several years of history of Murphy posting stupid videos and everybody basically telling him to quit preaching until he gets competent enough to teach something worthwhile. I was stupid enough to chime in with the gang and tell Murphy we've had enough and his preaching isn't welcome here. Out of the 100+ comments in this thread, Gary picks mine out to hold up and say "I agree with Murphy. Brian's being an asshole!"

So I reply in kind and all of a sudden I'm the bad guy here? I'm not going to beat around the bush with flowery insults like you, I'll just be my typical blunt self. Piss off, Gary. You can go hang out with Murphy since you seem to think you can learn so much from him. :birdman:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just don't expect someone who considers themself good enough to post videos to teach others how to fall trees, to "screw up their undercuts".
That is for ordinary people to do, not video experts.
Actually Stig,
I was trying to catch both the side of the standing tree, and the padding log, right in their joint, in order to keep the log from sliding downhill. I had plenty of room to play with on the right, but if I was off by 2º to the left that would have dominoed the standing spar.. or maybe even bouced left.. That is why I took so much time setting up a perfect hinge. I wanted the fall within 1º, which was accomplished.

And Squish, though your point about a deeper face is well taken, your perceptions were way off. Thos spars were in the 25-35'+ range (Which is a long way from 15-20').. Stumps are still there.. and there was a significant slope to the area. Not west coast mountain terrain, but enough to get the logs movin'.

You all attitude sucks!

PS.. a little touchy on the "Selfish attitude" remark there eh Rock? Might be something for you to look at..

and I got a 75' flagpole to drop tomorrow.. We'll be making out notch and back cuts with a cutting torch.. HAHA

If I read something here that pisses me off, I look at who posted it and what there history is. Gary has been a very polite poster here and as gentlemanly as anyone I can think of. Why poison a friendship over one post? A post that seems to me to read "I think you guys are being too hard on Daniel" and not "Brian is being an asshole."

15' is pretty much irrelevant. Undermining the center of gravity and directing the fall is the point of an undercut...I agree with squisher here. The choice of a shallow undercut on your vids shows an inability to understand the situation, and a desire to ram your methods into a situation for which they are not suited.

What's a double cut notch?

Slang for what you do if you're not good enough with a saw to get the face cut right the first time.
Then you cut another notch in the bottom of the first one and so on untill you feel confident that you have the face pointed in the right direction.
I've seen new apprentices recut faces so many times that they almost cut their way clear through the tree, but after 3 years they can usually get it right in first try.

I mentioned it because to me, not being able to set a face cut in two cuts is a sign of chainsaw incompetence.

But then I'm a logger, apparently arborists ( some of them, anyway) see it differently.

A double cut or 6 cut also refers to when your bar isn't big enough and you have cut from both sides.

I also use the term Double Cut as OM mentioned. I'm not big on switching bars for one or two cuts. Sometimes, its faster and easier than going to the truck to bring more gear, which will need to be hauled back to the truck. Biggest bar I have is a 32", and that means getting to the front of the bed of the truck and switching the sprockets back and forth, too.

Good clarification of multiple meanings. Thanks OM.

Can't think of a good distinction for the difference in meanings from the same term.

I reckon you've had more time to build up your arsenal.

My early felling in the back country usually didn't need double cutting, but when it did, heading to the truck could have been a 2+ mile errand.

Sometimes I don't want to pull up a big saw high into the tree, nor change saws twice when blocking down a spar, so I'll double cut a few logs with a 14" until I get lower to pull up a saw with a 20" or 28". (a 24" would be a good addition maybe). Would hate to pull up my old 064 with a 32", so sometimes double cut with shorter bars on an ms 361. I know the 361 is regarded as an in between saw by some people. Sometime, I'll get a newer 460 or sumfin.

You getting wind and snow down there Willie? Snow here, but wind push closer to Canada. Cold for our area, in the teens overnight.

Back