Mandatory Chainsaw License

Mandatory Training Required To Purchase A Chainsaw

• Total voters
That works great for a big company but not for me. I worked in the forestry industry for a lot of years. Ran a saw doing all sorts of things. Never had any formal training whatsoever but had mentors who showed me the ropes. Some people will mess themselves up
No matter what. There's to many people in the world to protect everyone. I have enough t's to cross and I's to dot as it is. The last thing I need is another course or loophole for the insurance companies to not pay out on heaven forbid to protect some dumbass from themself.

:thumbup:

you know, I'm not sure we want everyone trained to handle saws anyway. we need to leave an element of danger to it so they keep paying us to do it for them. make it to safe and easy and pretty soon everyone will be doing their own tree work! lol!

If you really think that is the way things will go if they pass regulations, change jobs and become a paramedic. Likely lots of overtime. Then there is the morticians trade too. :D

It's a good way to weed out the idiots in this world that's for sure. Just like the helmet law for cycles in PA. you don't have to wear them. I would wear them if I rode a cycle, But you can't force someone to wear it. let them decide and pretty soon you'll end up with a bunch of safe helmet wearing people, the rest will be gone!:D

Really, some well done SAFETY videos, and such, as mandatory to be INCLUDED with every saw, would be good. Not everybody would watch them, but some WIVES would watch them, and then kill their husbands, for not watching them! (he he he) Maybe some of these clips on this wall of shame could be included. Along with explanations to what did happen, (to scare the BJesus out of the newbies!) That one with 3 trees falling all around the guy was a classic!!

Absolutely we should need a license to operate a saw.

And also a license to drink, have kids, use any kind of power tool, build anything, work on your own car, go into the outdoors, or talk. ;-)

Sorry for the bump, i was looking for a TreeHouse T-shirt and stumbled onto this thread!
Anyway, I am not even allowed to START a chainsaw when i work for the state if I dont have my saw card with me.
It is a two day course with the first day in the class room and the next day in the field. The field day was twelve hours, mostly on a 2:1 slope cutting down P-pine.
I believe in the system and have to believe that is has saved lives. The cert has three levels, A sawyer that is allowed to cut an 8 inch tree, B sawyer that is allowed to cut a 24 inch tree and buck any size log, and C sawyer, basically the rock stars who can cut down anything. It was great training, especially for someone who had never cut a tree down! ( i only have the one and am quite attached to it! )

To buy a saw, i would say yes, cant trust people to read the manual.

Not quite sure if requiring a license would accomplish your goal.
Chainsaws are dangerous tools. Everyone knows that.
Getting this license won't necessarily make people smarter or operate them safer. It could even give them a false sense of security... like a drivers license...
Some people will always do things improperly.
Some people will always learn to operate tools safely.
People who usually operate safely will at times take chances.
All of us on this forum know that stupid kills. This beyond everything else generally governs our actions.
Not quite sure if requiring a license would accomplish your goal.

Michael

It could even give them a false sense of security... like a drivers license...

Michael

So your thinking is that people with driver's licenses take more chances than those who drive without?

No, not at all. I am saying that getting a drivers license does not mean one knows how to drive. Many people will take a class in something and pass the exam, but still do not really understand how to use the concepts properly. I know too many people who are 'paper' certified, but when it comes to actually using the stuff are lost.

There is certainly value in getting training. Just don't let it get to your head that once you take the class you really know the stuff.

Of course, I am also a firm believer that even a subject matter expert could take a 101 beginner class and still learn something from it.

:-)

Back