Mandatory Chainsaw License

Mandatory Training Required To Purchase A Chainsaw

• Total voters
Yes, with an endless kine of students, like to get a driver's license in some places, it probably takes a special teacher to remain forceful about things. They get on cruise control themselves.

Every serious injury I ever suffered was toward the end of a long hard day. Fatigue and lack of focus for a split second was all it took. Daddy said if your gonna be stupid, your gonna have to be tough.

That is when I have come closest to seriously hurting myself with a saw, when tired and dragging. My chaps show the proof, would have been a bad one across the thigh.

Can't remember ever hurting myself by taking a minute to get a better angle, or touch up a dull cutting tool. Frustration and dull tools are determined foes. Then there's the "hold my beer while I catch this here cottonmouth" kind of stuff. Always a privilege to witness a real campfire legend being born.

Many thanks Jer, always a little concerned about thread drift, but it seems pretty loose here. The other evening I was reading about chainsaw mods, and ended up in Norway looking at rock carvings older than the Vikings, and hand hewn timbers that looked like they were bandsawed, done by scandanavians in the PNW with hand tools. I just tie myself in my computer chair and put on my old Mac T hat and go for the ride.

If someone thinks babysitting adults and forcing them to have a chainsaw license makes sense, do they also think there needs to be a table saw license, a 3/4" impact gun license, a wood chipper license, stump grinder license, cut off saw license, or an angle grinder license? Tools are dangerous. Its that simple. I see the good logic in wanting to make the industry safer. I wont tell anyone they are a fool for feeling that way. But the reality is, there's how many thousands of tools on the market that will rip your fingers off in an instant. Each blue collar trade has a variety of dangerous tools. I know men who have been severely injured by cement mixers, ladavators, impact guns, cut off torches, Partner saws, etc. How does America suddenly set up safety regulations for every hazardous tool out there? Its just not practical. Plus we are broke. If an employer wants to get their employees all schooled up on proper chainsaw handling, send the guys through Game of Logging training. They'll learn a bunch of bullshit about falling trees, but they will also learn a good bit about saw handling. Some workmans comp companies give a slight break for companies that have put their men through that course. Not just any company though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It could be as little as something like a DVD, going over way more than any pamphlet would. It doesn't have to be a big production.

It would be interesting to have those who are not keen on a structured training/license for either professionals or homeowners go through some of the established National Standard training that is out there...not the individual models, but those that are nationaly designed and official for that whole country.
I'm not challenging your right of opinion, but it would be an interesting exercise to see if opinions would change at all after the fact.
If anyone's interested Google CS30 chainsaw training...

I get it that trying to get a Company to have all its employees trained and certified where it has not been a requirement would be a financial stretch

I don't think you'd ever be able to completely regulate homeowners, but offering them an option is a step forward...actually wasn't that the original question...?

I gotta go with Tucker943 on this one Butch. I get where your coming from, but I'd rather suffer the consequences of being on my own.

Last edited:
I think it was in California that some politicos tried to pass a bill that all table saws sold there henceforth would have to have one of those sensor stops on them where a blade touches flesh (or a hot dog for that matter) and it abruptly stops. Fairly costly device to add on, and the saw manufacturers figured that it was not a money making proposition for them, strongly opposed it, and it was shot down. Probably a bit of that scenario applies to chainsaws. Make money and be comradic (word) with the politicians and things will pass.

My father won a bronze star carring a flame thrower on Iwo, the man i'm named after died providing covering fire as my father assaulted the caves. Fairly dangerous work by most standards, and pretty much unregulated by any beaurocrats. This nation wasn't won in a book of regulations, and dumbing down to the lowest common denominator, to keep us all safe is the path to ruin

Which course? If you're talking about the bc fallers cert. no homeowner is taking that as a course and very few pros are either. 10,900 through the bc forest safety council.

I can see to a point where some basic training would probabley lessen the amount of accidents .Which is good .

However to make a type of certication manditory I fear would legislate into law such as the people in England have to deal with ,a nanny state.

We've had geniune horses azzes like Ralph Nadar who just love to enact laws to protect ourselves from ourselves because we aren't smart enough to think for ourselves or so he alluded to .

Which course? If you're talking about the bc fallers cert. no homeowner is taking that as a course and very few pros are either. 10,900 through the bc forest safety council.

Thanks Squisher, I just mean I've seen it on utube, and there's some basic stuff for anyone curious enough to look. I'm with Al though, the word mandatory, rubbs hard against the grain.

Went digging in my old piles of stuff today and found a copy of "Work Technique For Felling And Limbing", put out by Husky. My friend Mark Douglas is the local Husky dealer so I'm pretty sure it came from there, I just can't remember how long ago. It's a pretty thorough basic manual, with good photos and illustrations, which they should probably just give to every non pro customer, or anyone who wants one. I don't know if anyone here has seen it, or if it's still being published, but I'll ask Mark the next time I'm in town.

Last edited:
Back