Mandatory Chainsaw License

Mandatory Training Required To Purchase A Chainsaw

• Total voters
I know in my case many years ago, I think I would have been pretty well served by having a video to watch along with receiving my first saw. It would of had to have been a VCR. I didn't get hurt, but it was a honking 076 to learn on..

You wouldn't believe it, this video just popped up while I was looking for something only remotely connected to tree work. It was a news story from last year I was looking for.

I just skipped through it, and there's even a bit on using short bars.8)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Do5DfkHBhtg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That public official (water board) that was beating up his kid in the backyard because he couldn't catch a baseball, and the neighbor caught it on a vid. I'd force that piece of crap to stop.

Back to chainsaws...:)

In my area I can see where advertising a free training course could attract a lot of private land owners who decide to buy a saw and go out on their own, clearing brush, small trees and making firewood around their homes. Donations would be accepted, of course. I have thought about it a few times, and not with the expectation of making any money. Rather I feel it would be a just and good thing. Seriously.

I'm finding more time now that I'm retired.

Yes, it seems like a very good idea if you would enjoy it. I have taught a little chainsaw use to older people. Wondered how they did with it. Then the chance to later see one fellow's wood pile, nice bucked up and cleanly stacked. Anyone would be proud. :headbang:

Ive said many times, and will say again, if a man wants to really learn how to handle and manipulate a saw, do some logging. Residential tree rats are generally lousy with a chainsaw.

It's like that with just about any manual skill, frequency equals competence. I think the point is trying to get people to the stage that where they may still be lousy, at least it is that they are safe. How many things do you really need to know or follow to be relatively risk free with a saw? I can only think about around a half dozen. Don't cut with a dull chain, yada yada yada... I mean the risk is always there to some extent, people just shouldn't invite it in more than that.

In my area I can see where advertising a free training course could attract a lot of private land owners who decide to buy a saw and go out on their own, clearing brush, small trees and making firewood around their homes. Donations would be accepted, of course. I have thought about it a few times, and not with the expectation of making any money. Rather I feel it would be a just and good thing. Seriously.

Make the money on the autographs, Jerry. Haha.

You would be able to provide a great service. Amy teaches Forest Health and Root Disease workshops for WA small forest landowners, 5+ acres of timber. Stihl shows up and does some seminars. People are taking notes and at full attention about cleaning an air filter and tightening a chain.

As far as the donations go, you could tell them as they are about to leave, "Let me save you $50 easy, and the hassle of 2 repair shop trips when you're ready to use your saw, here's how to store your saw...".

Ask Stihl to donate a couple saws for the course. They would be nuts to refuse, especially given the stature of the instructor.

Anyone that thinks making more laws is going to solve a problem is abusing their meds.
Do we not have enough laws and govt interference already.
Do Americans not grasp the concept of self determination.

Not a slam on any other nationalities. But the op is in the U.S.
Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. I guess that would only be for those that would initiate the law. Screw everyone else.
Its like saying that more gun laws will stop crime. .

Great idea. As long as its voluntary. No laws or bs like that.

I get your drift about you being opposed, but beyond that, your post is unclear. "Imitate the law"....?
It's a discussion, that's all. Discussions help to arrive at reasoned conclusions. Being on or off your meds as you put it, I suggest to chill on that point.

If you are talking about it in those terms, I can only think that your power to do anything in opposition as an individual, is rather limited, no matter how much you haw and paw about it. Unless you really go knock yourself out, join the Freemen and start a revolution or something, laws like that, you probably won't even get asked to express your opinion. Lots of crazy regs have been passed by people that appear pretty sane by most other respects, and not on medications. It can get worrisome, but in this case, likely no need to get excited yet.

I don't myself see how a video that has to be in a saw box is going to usurp anyone's freedom, unless someone requires verification that the purchaser has watched it, only obtained by watching it. Mail in a questionnaire, "What was Henry Jones doing wrong when Mrs Jones became a widow"? Check the proper box. Guys put up vids here all the time showing the best ways to do things safely, i watch them, admittedly not forced to, and sure don't feel that my freedom is somehow being imperiled. I think enough people would probably watch it on their own to make that in itself a worthwhile idea. The law extends to the manufacturers, not the users, and the makers already have enough of a tick in their eye from how much that they have to align themselves to regulations, that another one won't matter. It could work in their favor, folks that get decent with a saw and grow the confidence having been given some proper instruction for a change, may want another. They are already making vids, and cd roms are cheap. People that are above it all, go toss the unwatched vid in the stove.... Oh wait, there must be a law about that too! :lol: The big question that remains in my mind, how much can a video teach a novice? This is what can happen to YOU, could be effective.

Laws. . Why have more. It is senseless to make a toothless law. And we already have too many laws that have teeth. Instructional DVDs are a totally different thing. .. Unless there's a law that says someone has to watch it then go online before they can start their saw.
The information is already available. If someone is interested. Perhaps this forum could start a new to running a chain saw thread. Make sure it is linked to Google, Bing and other search engines.

How many people do you know that read the booklet that comes with most saws that shows the rudiments of chain saw operation. I encourage all the new guys I work with to read it. And so far less than half have. .

Anyone that thinks making more laws is going to solve a problem is abusing their meds.
Do we not have enough laws and govt interference already.
Do Americans not grasp the concept of self determination.

Not a slam on any other nationalities. But the op is in the U.S.
Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. I guess that would only be for those that would initiate the law. Screw everyone else.
Its like saying that more gun laws will stop crime. .

Again total agreement, but like Jay says there's no stopping it. A lifetime of hair pulling, eye gouging, and ear biting, hasn't even slowed it down. Now back to my medications lol.

It's good to encourage people to read the manual, but I'm presuming that even the ones that don't, as far as their being exposed to saw use in a professional environment, aren't getting hurt. If they were, it seems that one might want to take somewhat stronger measures, like a mandatory requirement that they do read the manual. That doesn't seem like such a jump for no good purpose. Apparently, John Q Public is getting hurt, and probably more the people that MB thought some kind of regulation would be beneficial for. It's just unfortunate that they have a hard time making laws with variable applications, where one group is mandated to follow certain guidelines and another isn't. Farm boys that have been operating a vehicle on a parent's land since they were twelve, likely don't need to get a driver's license so that it is clear that they know how to parallel park. Same with meds, since it has been brought into the discussion. Pretty in control, I have never taken anything like an anti depressant, but if there was some calamity in my life going on where I needed to, I think I should be able to go down to the pharmacy and get a few tabs of Zanex. :/: All in all, that doesn't seem very practical though, we all know what would happen if everyone was clear to get the pills that they think they need. Infringement of rights....hell, just walk out your door as a person with common sense and your rights are being compromised in one way or another. You can't jay walk, or work more than so many hours as an employee if you want to, have to wear seat belts motoring down to the corner to mail a letter, or if you are going out of your mind to get some, at the point of being criminal over it, a woman with mutual best interest in mind can't sell you her lovely wares. It seems a little late in the game to start complaining about too many laws. Human genetic engineering has lagged behind the need for laws, too many people are stupid about things. If enough are stupid, everyone gets looked at as stupid. Kind of a bummer, but that seems like how it works, especially in western society. If you don't like regulations, go work in a Chinese coal mine.

Back