Chainsaw flywheel

cory

Tree House enthusiast
On 576 Husky.
Heard a rattling while cutting so I stopped cutting.
Backstory- another 576 locked up on me this summer during full speed cutting, I figured the saw was cooked given how it locked up and pull cord wouldn't pull, brought it to dealer for their take re whether it was repairable, picked it up from them 2 days later, they said it was cooked/seized/not worth repairing, I made a mental note that the saw didn't look like it had been worked on as it was still covered with saw dust etc. I gave it to the ninja/my former climber as he's always willing to take 'junk', he took it apart, realized the round plastic electrical thingy behind flywheel had come loose and jammed against the flywheel thus locking up the saw, he reinstalled and tightened the assembly adding blue thread-lock to the 2 bolts, reassembled the saw with zero new parts, he's been running the chit out of it since with no issues. #mydealersucks

So with this Husky rattling, I wondered if it was the same situation. Youtube showed me how to remove the flywheel ( I was quite happy that the 'smacking it' method worked well as my track record with repairs isn't stellar:|:). Sure enough, the left hand bolt was loose (same bolt location that came loose on the ninja saw), so i'm going to remove the other bolt as well, loctite both, and reassemble.

Are there any special instructions re reinstalling the flywheel, and should I worry about proper torque on the crankshaft nut (it seemed to unscrew without too much effort). And what is the round plastic thing that had the bolt come loose. Anything else I should beware of?

Any input is appreciated cuz I'm not an excellent mechanic despite having a somewhat methodical personality/approach to most things. Picture to follow

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Screw driver pointing at the bolt which loosened. What is the whitish circular plastic thing that bolt is helping to hold?
682A2544-E42A-4E32-A4C2-7AA63BD06B63.jpeg

Thank you, sir.

I reassembled and started it, the rattling sound is gone.:dude:

I’d 86 that relationship and either a) find an honest repair shop or b) suffer thru the learning curve and fix yourself - just my 2c

I'd be revisiting that dealer and 'filling them in' on their shit service.
I certainly will be doing that. Of course I expect zero recompense but they will know about the lame service offered.

frankie, I presume you know what that circular part is.

I'd also line up a new dealer. I'm sure they know they suck, and if they cared, they wouldn't suck. They'll probably file your opinion in the circular file.

Is it auto tune? Maybe it powers the carb. I know Stihl uses the ignition to power the carb. Electric start on a saw would be cool, and not very impractical with today's tech.

Got ninja'd by Pat, though I came up with a different part#. Might have been a different saw. It seems to have had a lot of revisions.

For future reference, a web search of "make model# ipl" will usually get you a nice picture showing how everything goes together with part#s.

So , the Dealer ... Assumed the Piston was seized because no pull ?? ... Pretty lame , even if my dealer thinks the worst they will always check why.

Nutball and Pat, yes its autotune. I think you got it!

John, good info, thanks. What does "ipl" stand for?

Thanks, all, for the help.

Yes indeed, super lame on the dealer's part but I look on the bright side- the ninja got a kick ass saw for free and I learned some stuff.

InternalPartsList

edit:
I think. I'm not sure if I've ever seen it spelled out. I got familiar with "ipl" from forums, and I might have created the backronym from deduction. That may not be right :^D

Wow, I just leaned a new word, never heard of backronym:dude:

Cool! I never heard of one either:

What is the difference between an acronym and a Backronym?
An acronym is a word formed by the initial letters of other words, such as Nato (North Atlantic Treaty Organisation). ... A backronym is where the word comes first, and the initial letters are made to fit the word.

What is a reverse acronym?
A reverse acronym, or backronym, is an acronym created before the meaning of the letters in it has been determined. For instance, you could decide to create an acronym from your name and then come up with the meaning behind each of the letters.

I hate to say this, but this is why it's sometimes just better to wrench yourself too. Maybe go to the shop for some stuff then do more critical stuff yourself. I have more then 1 item here that was diagnosed as dead.... the funniest one was simply jumping it because the battery was dead, and the idle board is shot so you just run it on high idle. If you don't know how to do something, buy the repair manuals and do it like following a recipe. It will take some time, but with each project you will get better and better, and before you know it, you'll be helping others with their junk too lol.

Where do you get the repair manuals? Are they kinda written toward folks who barely need them? I basically love doing mechanical chit but time is always a factor and I worry about f'g up valuable chit.

Gotta say I really enjoyed meeting this mechanical challenge. Would be nothing for lotta folks but I hadn't gone that deep into a saw before, I worried about f'g up the flywheel during removal or spending a bunch of time on it and still having to bring it to a shop to be fixed, but now I learned some stuff for the future and had fun doing. It was a 'right sized' challenge, as they say.

I have quite a few IPLs and manuals for Stihl saws...people share them readily, I got a lot when I was on AS, maybe do a Google search for Husky?

Back