lets see your wood splitting systems.

PCTREE

Treehouser
OK figured it might be interesting to see how folks are getting their wood split. Im assuming we will see young bucks with a maul all the way to completely mechanized processors.

Heres mine, I really like using this as I had gotten to the point where I couldnt split wood any more as my back cannt deal with bending over, so I eliminated the bending over and lifting. Have split about 4 cords so far this weekend and my back is fine8)

IMG_0068.jpg IMG_0069.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
look at the back of the log cutting deck, see the bi-directional blade??

Heres a better picture of the actual splitter
ATTACH=CONFIG]49663[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 120
Look through the log to the splits.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378143401.785268.jpg

I have about 16 cord log length and plan on having my buddy come over with his processor. $800 for the weekend.
I too am tired.

At 56 I don't exactly qualify as a young buck, but I use an old maul I inherited from my mentor.
Same one I bang wedges in with.

Full cord or face cord? A cord around here is 4x4x8 a split and stacked cord is a good jag of wood.

I have a mini splitter the one Dave (Tntree) makes or made at least. Mounts on the mini two different ways so you can either plop rounds on it and split or flip mounts and split big rounds without lifting them. I'll have to nab some pics.

Stig, you burn a fair amount of wood don't you?? Is your back still in good shape?? Cannt imagine how after a life in the woods.

I really really like that paul. I am looking to make the same thing, i was thinking metal, but now seeing yours, large timbers will be free minus milling. Ive got a super split, and a coveyor. Hardest part is cutting the wood, log trailer next to the log deck will be awesome!

I bought the ss two years ago, love it. The conveyor i climbed some trees for, and a 140$ on a new carb and pulley setup.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 98
I like that conveyor B. if I was going to split wood to sell I would get one.

IMO timbers are the way to go for the deck as you dont have to worry about hitting it.

I don't sell, but my elbow was killing me from throwing the wood off the end. He had it, i wanted it, so it sorta just worked out. I might sell 5 cord a year, to pay for the tank of oil for the year, but thats it. I'm done at the moment, i actually had bryan clean everything up while i was in iowa.

That log deck might be a good intro to timberframing project too. Dave..........:)

Paul, I'm still a 'young buck' ;) and still use a maul to split 3-4 full cords a year for personal use {pic below}. Tried them all but I love splitting with this:

61kCoHEr%2BFL._SL750_.jpg

However, I confess, I do noodle Black Gum :D

BTW - I missed telling you when I was there, Paul, I DO like that grapple rig of yours! :thumbup::thumbup:

9656721665_72a537e206_z.jpg

Jack, you must gain a lot of satisfaction from just looking at that shed and knowing you are "set" for the winter. I used to love splitting by maul when I was younger but cannt do it anymore. I really enjoy the new splitter though! Ill post a movie soon.

So come on fellas post up your set ups!

I don't really keep track of how many cords I do in a year because it varies .I burn about 5 and right now I suppose I'm good for the next three years if I do none this year but I will of course .

I use a home built splitter with a 5 inch cylinder ,11 HP Briggs engine 16 GPM pump .It's pretty much unstoppable .

Attachments

• Big splitter 003.jpg
    Big splitter 003.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Baby splitter 001.jpg
    Baby splitter 001.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 81
My set up is nothing fancy, just a northern tool 22ton H/V splitter. I would kill for a conveyor and a 6way timberwolf but I have other toys to buy first.

Al thats what Im talking about! I love to see homemade splitters, mine has a 16GPM pump also but has a 10 HP diesel Yanmar clone engine. I can fill that whole 16x7x 2.5' trailer with 1 tank of fuel, about 1.1 gallons!!

Here it is in action

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xGLcT94-2m4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

COOL, Paul! Love that bi-directional blade ... gotta be a real time saver. :rockon:

Jack that is the ultimate wood shed, nice!

So paul, the slats are so you can cut the wood to firewood lengths? The 2 way splitter is ingenious, did you build or buy it?

Back