Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Only when I think I might need one

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Only when I know I will need one

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters

pantheraba

More biners!!!
I habitually have a knife with me...this Benchmade, slim design for pocket carry and general utility use.

Today I received two orange Gerber Hinderer Rescue Knives. My son, Alex, is a rookie fireman...he always carries a knife, too. I asked him if there was any official issue fireman knife and the answer was "no". I have always felt having a knife handy is not only useful but can be life-saving. This one is designed with Firefighter/Paramedics in mind as a self-rescue tool as well as an aid to rescuing others.

The times I have needed my knife in a tree it was always hard to get out of my pocket...the New Tribe leg straps/pads are holding it tight. I'll see if I can find a way to make this one more accessible.

The first knife goes to Alex...we had researched them a few weeks ago and then he went to the firefighter training school. He came home on a break and asked if the knives had arrived yet!! I think that was my hint to go ahead and order them. At $63 each it looks like a good deal.

I'll let you know how it does. There is a write-up here if you are interested in details:

http://www.equipped.org/hinderer_rescue.htm

What utility/rescue knives do you guys carry? How do you carry them?

Especially, how do you carry them aloft?

Attachments

• IMG_4722 (2).JPG
    IMG_4722 (2).JPG
    388.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4719 (2).JPG
    IMG_4719 (2).JPG
    247.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4720 (2).JPG
    IMG_4720 (2).JPG
    222.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4721 (2).JPG
    IMG_4721 (2).JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 22
that looks like a cool piece of kit Gary. I have a gerber multiplier with the tool kit scabbard (the screwdriver bits), I carry that when I go on a long roadsie or camping. day to day I dont find much need for a knife in my pocket.

Always have carried a knife, since I was a lad of 9 or 10. My father did, guess that's where I came by it. Can't imagine not having a knife on my person.

Day in, day out, I keep a SOG Paratool in a belt scabbard on my right hip. For dress up occasions I carry a little Swiss Army knife in my pocket. Climbing, I carry a Gerber folding blade with a flick open feature. It's in a skeletonized handle with a clip. I either carry it clipped on my chest harness, or in my radio bra, if I'm wearing that.

I never do. I just borrow other people's knives when I need them. So let me say thank you to all you guys who can always be counted on to have a knife on your person. You guys sure are handy.

I never do. I just borrow other people's knives when I need them. So let me say thank you to all you guys who can always be counted on to have a knife on your person. You guys sure are handy.

Hahaha, lol. :lol:
Maybe you ought to think about being useful yourself, once in a while. :D

I have a little Kershaw Leek that I really like. I carry it everyday and use it all the time. If I ever manage to wear it out I will replace it with a partially serrated blade.

TS

I have a good folding blade knife in my bag thats attached to my saddle when climbing.

Other than that, I just have an assortment of hunting, skinning and butchering knives for when I go hunting.

For the money, you can't beat the quality of a "MORA" high carbon steel knife.

(e-bay sells tons of them)!;)

HC

Like most of you I have carried a knife from a young age, farm life ya know. I carry a folding blade nothing fancy for daily use, and I also carry a folding box knife. This is the one I use everyday multible times a day.

My EDC [Every Day Carry] is a 6 inch blade Cold Steel Voyager for work. While climbing I slip it into a pouch on my saddle.

When going out shopping, dinner, or any place other than work, I carry 3 knives. A 7.25 inch blade Cuda Maxx and two 3 inch fixed blades along with a small blackjack. Hawaii does not allow ccw [guns] and has a 5 yr. prison term for it. It is very knife friendly, no limit on blade length. I have a friend who carries around a 18 inch blade Cold Steel Kopis machete in his daypack all over the place along with a 6 inch Voyager.

The 7.25 Cuda is the long knife in the bottom right of the 1st picture. The 2 Cudas next to it are 5.5 inch versions. No longer being made [Camillus went out of business] and being a limited production run to begin with, the Cuda sell for more than 3 times what I paid for them 3 years ago. I bought the 5.5 versions for $110 and paid $207 for the 7.25 incher. I have been looking on the Internet for a 7.25 for over 6 months and have not seen even 1 for sale. EBay had someone selling the 5.5 version for $599 a couple of weeks ago.
I have many other knives not shown in these pictures. Needless to say, I love knives!

Attachments

• Knives pic 2.jpg
    Knives pic 2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Knives pic 4.jpg
    Knives pic 4.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why pack three knives around? Is crime that bad there?

Some places it is...we visited there four times, family trips, lotsa fun. On one trip, my brother-in-law (who we stayed with) was living in a reasonable and respectable section of Honolulu...but, apparently, not too far from a bad section. All of us except my wife went bowling. While we were gone, a young dude came thru the side door (granted, it wasn't locked, should have been) and accosted her at gunpoint. Somehow, he got distracted, she was able to run past him and run screaming down the street for the neighbors to call the police.

She said he did not seem real good at being a robber...thankfully for all of us. She did say she was glad that I wasn't there...he was such a bad robber she was afraid I would have just killed him...who knows?

Cops never did catch him for that crime...but, the bad guys are certainly "out there".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a little Kershaw Leek that I really like. I carry it everyday and use it all the time. If I ever manage to wear it out I will replace it with a partially serrated blade.

TS

Tom,

That looks a WHOLE lot like the Benchmade I carry...if you replace it, you will like the serrations...but, I agree, only half serrated...I still like the smooth belly cutting area.

I am a Benchmade fan.

I'll carry a pair of these (5000 SBK) when my old one gets back (sent back Tuesday) from getting the blade replaced and the new one gets off back order.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=5000

The second SBK is replacing this 556S because the 5000 takes a better edge although they are made from the same steel. Another benifit is they are both autos.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=556

Occasionally I carry this on the belt, but it's fairly rare these days:

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=175

When climbing I take my right knife off and leave the other in the left pocket typically speaking. In the lift I don't worry about it.

Oh, Gary, that 556 I'm replacing is the one I bought with you at REI.

In CT Brendon was apparently in love with how smooth the axis setup is. He would sit there and watch the blade swing back and forth (basically gravity knife smooth).

Here's my only knife related picture.

DSC04052.jpg

Back