intentional barber chair

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
the main significance of that pic IMHO, is that when you are on the hooks if you are pulling a large top with a rope and you pull too hard, too early (before the hinge is formed) , the trunk can split and give you a permanent back ache..

People do like to pull hard then cut, rather than set a wedge or two to prevent sit-back, get the hinge right, then pull.

I think it is a good point. I have had ground folk that think their job is to pull the top off the spar ASAP. Pulling too hard, too fast is what some folk think is what is needed...not. I would like to see a video of how that went down if u have it, Murphy. I would like to see how the top behaved as it left the spar.

A fun thing to do, and teaching thing, is let them pull and pull and pull and pull when there is no backcut. Can you pull harder? Harder?

Tell them a pull rope in their hands means to pull like hammer in their hand means to continuously pound things. Let them wear themselves out some, then tell them not to endanger you by pulling without being told to pull. "I was trying to help" can become, "oh, right".

The best thing for someone to do is listen and do as their told, and to stay with the plan, not try to be a backseat quarterback.

I had a job recently where it occurred that the best approach was to put in a face cut and back cut then climb down the tree before pulling the upper half. Pretty large dead Pine. We had to have a fair amount of tension on the lines with two pulling devices before cutting, and when putting in the back cut that sucker let out a big crack. Where is Willie when you need him, and whoa, time to get out of Dodge! Fortunately it went over unhappily when giving more pull. Being in that tree if it barber chaired could have meant curtains. I'm interested in learning whatever there is to learn about barber chair.

If there is ANY ?... wrap the trunk just below the cut... short 1/2" line with 5-7 turns should do the trick.. no need to get all fancy with a truckers strap..

barberchairing is best avoided wrapping above the cut, not below. Certainly you wouldn't wrap just below the cut if worried about a barberchair without wrapping above it. To avoid confusion I'm just going to assume you mean while aloft as on the ground wrapping below it would be completely pointless.

What you're showing pics of doesn't even look like a barber chair to me. Barberchairs split up from the backcut. What you're posting is just trees split from pulling to hard or not being cut properly.

I can't even believe that you would do that around customers property. I dunno man, so what did you learn from your expirement? That it would be prudent to cut a proper face? Revolutionary.

To me you mean? Unless I'm mistaken it doesn't look like that lead was even faced? Pulling a lead out like that with a skid steer to experiment around customers property seems irresponsible to me. Also embarrassing. It's just weird to me.

I can tell you don't like my harassment of the Murph, Butch. So I'll leave it be. But this thread is bizarre to me.

Wow, what a surprice!
If you don't put in a face cut, the tree splits up.
Sure wish someone had told me that back when I started logging.

I worked with a guy once who pulled three big leaning pines back over against the lean and I didn't put a facecut in it. I'd have never done it on my own, but he wanted me to do it like that and he took all (it was his treeco) responsibility for it. I climbed about halfway, rigged a pulley so the groundies could pull the cable up the tree, hit the ground and took wraps with a chain above my cut, then made my backcut while he pulled with his skidder.

All three pulled over easypeasy - I couldn't believe it.

I swear I would have never done it. I wanted to put a small facecut, but he said no. All three trees were leaning heavy over an expensive home.

I'd never take that chance, but it worked perfectly!

Once you wrap them above the cut, you can get away with anything.
No directional control w/o a face, though.

I can't even believe that you would do that around customers property. I dunno man, so what did you learn from your expirement? That it would be prudent to cut a proper face? Revolutionary.

Not to bust on you Squish... I respect you and your opinions... I think this is an example of the "never do this" mentality that applies to many areas in the industry.. many people have taboos without understanding the "why not" of it... I;ve always found that when things go unexpectedly, there is a great opportunity to learn something.. I like to think about these things and then see how they play in the field.. There is a list of 6 solid potential advantages to intentional barber chair. All would be very rare to use.. But NICE to have in the tool box...
Here's one you wouldn;t think of right off... if there is an object right in front of the tree, you can avoid hitting it with a bbc, becasue the trunk must fall to one side or the other of the stump... I was even thinking last night you might be able to use ropes as ramps and slide the but well off sideways to protect some shrub or small tree..

With a skidder you have insane pulling power, how could the trees go anywhere else but toward the skidder epecically if you were pulling directly against the lean.

Mick brings up a good point. Why weren't both ferrets named after Robert E Howard characters?

Interesting, but I must reflect some of the thoughts here, I definitely wouldn't have the stones to do that on my own at a custy's property. Instructed to do it....well.....I guess.... your call, not mine. Insurance company would have a bird.

Back