intentional barber chair

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
And of course we'll all have our disagreements and different view points... A little intelligent conversation is all I was hoping for... maybe that's too much to ask of an online forum.. about all there is out there though..

I had to Google that and learned something new.

I only knew of Primus Optimus, which is an old time petroleum burning stove.

I agree with Willie, using the co-dom to stop the wood from flying back is too unpredictable to be called a technique. It could easily skip off to the side or who knows what.

Why is it unpredictable? physics is the one constant we all live or die by. Its only unpredictable because none of us have enough experience with BBC co-doms to understand the physics to the level of certainty that's we'd stake our lives on.. I'd like to change that... gonna take ripping apart a few co-doms with the ss and a high pull line..

Being in that tree if it barber chaired could have meant curtains. I'm interested in learning whatever there is to learn about barber chair.

Me too...
and I think the application of the knowledge is best applied to fine tuning cutting techniques at height..

Plus an Ambulance and Emergency Room

LOL... you guys just don't get it...

I had to Google that and learned something new..

at least you learned something from this thread eh?

That doesn't look like any barber chair I've seen. Looks more broken off. By your skid steer? I don't think I've seen a split less than about 20 feet.

That could be a regional difference... I've never seen one over 10'.. probably due to the difference between tall skinny straight grained firs etc.. that grew up in the Oregon woods, and spiraling grained suburban trees with lots of low growing limbs in suburban philly...

Guessing 95-98% of suburban arbs in philly area have never seen a BBC in the field.

I think a co dom gives you a 50/50 chance if you are pretty sure it's going to happen. 50/50 because you maybe safe if it goes to the far side of the co dom, to the near side, you're still in trouble.
If you cut low enough into the union (right at the union or even a little below) its 100%... the back lead acts as a backstop. no place for the split trunk to go...

If you look closely at this photo, you can see the bark scraped on the back lead. I thought it would clear, but ended up having to cut some space between the two, and then it still acted as significant obstacle. And that was only because the lay was angled to the union. If the lay was perpendicular to the union (the included bark), the tree COULD NOT have BBCed.

Keep that in mind next time you are taking out a heavy front leaning co-dom at 6o'... use a plunge cut etc to follow all regular safety protocols, AND keep the cut low in the union for an extra measure of safety...

Attachments

• BBC 7.jpg
    BBC 7.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 43
Dude. You're constantly trying to revolutionize cutting. Like I mentioned in your other spruce thread you have lots to practice/learn just making good, proper, appropriate, clean cuts. You should be using these opportunities to hone some skills, not create the intentional non-barberchair technique.

Seriously man. You're not learning and innovating you're doing stunts and muddying the water.

cutting techniques need to be revolutionized. I've done it..
think of all the advances in climbing techniques and gear in the past 20 years vs how much cutting techniques have changed..
Was it you that used to put stump shot on every fall, cause that's how you were trained in the woods until you "realized" that its not needed in most suburban scenarios?
Were did you learn that?

The way I cut trees now is nothing like I did 15 years ago...
do you have any idea how this cut was made?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YWv_qEDec6E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

next time you're taking a 20" top out, time yourself on the cut. That cut was 30 seconds... then see if you can create enough holding wood to allow you to clip your saw, then trip the fall with a little push and shake of the trunk...

That video is over 5 years old... I've added a bunch of new tricks to the tool box since then... the only way to make breakthroughs is to try new stuff and pay attention.

Lmao. So you've developed some revolutionary cutting techniques that you choose to keep secret? Because why? If you have something you could add and choose not to because it's your secret, than that's pretty ignorant. Are you a selfish person?

Also kind of funny that you mention stumpshot and then post your top secret vid of taking a big top all up in surrounding trees. Looked dicey.

yes it did... looks can be deceiving though... I was a little concerned something was going to come back at me... it was too dead and too tall for the whole top to rotate back.. something could have taken a funny hit and bounced back though.. That was a white oak it dropped into. Only broke 1 branch under 2".. white oak is some tuff tree..

right after I developed and tested that cut.. the same week. I ran into one of the best trees guys in the area at the diner (R_ggs... hangs out on tree buzz). His Dad gave me my first tree job and he had done some contract work for me years before... I was all excited.. "Yo! I just developed a new cut.... " Him and his Buddy laughed out loud... I AM kinda sensitive so OK, be like that.. The online reception was no better.. To date no one has even asked me to explain the cut, though it has been ridiculed. SO I just go with the flow and call it a trade secret... Million dollar cut!

Next time you are taking a 20"+ top out.. see how long the cut takes... then try it on a heavy front leaner on a tree that is known to BBC/split like white ash.. Let us know how you make out.

This thread also gave me a new idea... Simple method for preventing BBC.... should be near 100% effective and easier than a notch and plunge cut...

might be especially effective in the woods.. I;ll have to give it some thought and experimentation...

next time anyone here is dropping a front leaner, 22" diameter at the cut, let us know how you make out time wise. easy to video and listen to the saw for start and stop times..

I can see an application if you need to bridge over an object with a species that won't hinge, where you can pick up the felled whole piece, once horizontal, with a machine.

I removed a spruce over a small hedge, permission to squash the laurel granted. A wide face and spruce's hinge-holding power allowed it to close the face, almost, when the branches were resting in the street. I was able to limb and buck it back until it was just a 6' tall spar with a 6' log hanging horizontally by some of the remaining hinge, face now closed. Since this horizontal log was attached, I could widdle it back over the hedge, and drop firewood rounds until clear of the narrow hedge, cookies while over the hedge. In a zero risk situation like this, if the BBC ripped clear of the stump, it would have smashed a bit of a small laurel hedge, which the custy already expected and okayed. If you can not damage something that is expected to be collateral damage, and okayed, you come out looking good, and the asset is preserved.

One of those rare exceptions to the standard cuts.

I can see an application if you need to bridge over an object with a species that won't hinge, where you can pick up the felled whole piece, once horizontal, with a machine.

I removed a spruce over a small hedge, permission to squash the laurel granted. A wide face and spruce's hinge-holding power allowed it to close the face, almost, when the branches were resting in the street. I was able to limb and buck it back until it was just a 6' tall spar with a 6' log hanging horizontally by some of the remaining hinge, face now closed. Since this horizontal log was attached, I could widdle it back over the hedge, and drop firewood rounds until clear of the narrow hedge, cookies while over the hedge. In a zero risk situation like this, if the BBC ripped clear of the stump, it would have smashed a bit of a small laurel hedge, which the custy already expected and okayed. If you can not damage something that is expected to be collateral damage, and okayed, you come out looking good, and the asset is preserved.

One of those rare exceptions to the standard cuts.

exactly... one in 1000, or maybe 1 in 5000... on the othert hand the conversation has led to a new idea that can be used to prevent BBC in a quick, easy and reliable manner... no coos bay needed

30 years selling tree work has taught me a valuable lesson or two.
#1. sell to people that want to buy what you've got.. don't waste your time trying to convince someone that doesn't.... instead use that time to find people that do.

Back