intentional barber chair

You don't know what a barber chair is?
This is a barber chair, not your puny little, broken off with a skid steer, trees.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2YAf61zz5VU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I agree with Willie, using the co-dom to stop the wood from flying back is too unpredictable to be called a technique. It could easily skip off to the side or who knows what.

You don't know what a barber chair is?
This is a barber chair, not your puny little, broken off with a skid steer, trees.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2YAf61zz5VU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

now kids, that be a barber chair!!

That was great B chair footage!!

Wow I don't think I could cut those old trees, seems like such a waste. Logging is one thing but cutting down 600 y.o. trees which are mostly rotten, nah.

It takes a young man to run that fast Rich. The old man woulda just bore-cut it. ;)

Cory: Yes, but a waste of what? Those trees are now so far up in the mountains that not a soul but a timber cutters' will ever even see em.

Jed, I hear ya but a little voice tells me it aint right. Not a highly scientific response I realize.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Run Forrest... Run

He turned to look up and ran into the stump behind him... if it had come down on the other side of the tree it would have been close.. if he had run without looking back he'd have cleared it no matter what.. think we debated the look up and dodge vs run for your life already...

Jed, I hear ya but a little voice tells me it aint right. Not a highly scientific response I realize.

What is scientific in this industry (whichever industry you're in) science only goes so far around here.. no formula can replace experience, knowledge, understanding and instinct. trust your gut and live to tell the story.

on the other hand empirical observation is a great tool for tree work... I've watched the BBC in that day at the office a couple dozen times, sometimes, frame by frame. It's unfortunate that the music drowns out the audio of the tree splitting... audio provides some great tells for tree vids..

It takes a young man to run that fast Rich. The old man woulda just bore-cut it. ;)

Cory: Yes, but a waste of what? Those trees are now so far up in the mountains that not a soul but a timber cutters' will ever even see em.

There's value in trees beyond someone seeing them.

Now we are talking. Lots of value there plus, who's to say we know all the value there is to trees, has to be lots of stuff and eco relationships we aren't aware of.

Btw, do y'all think they are getting some logs out of the upper sections of those badly rotted trees?

The root disease project that I worked on at the preschool had to be long-butted (cut tall stumps and/ or keep cutting until you get clean wood in the butt of the log), then start measuring. All were #2 and #3 domestic saw logs. Growth rings toward the end of their life prevented any from being export. Tight rings early on. A root/ butt rotting fungus can stay localized.

Man Jed, that was something! Nearly ran into the bedroom wall trying to get away from it!

I love you all.... we all have sawdust in our pockets and share the common goal of coming home safe. anyone that's done it long enough to comment here has my admiration and respect.. there's a lot of ways to make a living... this one takes a special kind...

Back