Insufficient priveleges to reply here?

That was then.. this is now.. take a look in the mirror.. you've called me an idiot and a moron several times. That's exactly what he asked us not to do.
The exact words were “be nice” ... not that hard to understand ... some here become livid when ideas are presented, backed with facts and logic, that conflict with their sometimes ignorant , arrogant, “I know better” attitudes - aka bigotry. Poking fun in jest is one thing , however attacking someone via being a “keyboard warrior” isn’t very becoming ... a good rule of thumb is to imagine you and the other person are actually face to face ... I seriously doubt a lot of the nonsense , name calling and histrionics “wood” continue if this idear were adhered to ...

Looks like it doesn't affect chainsaws.
There was a recall on 461s with a certain serial # .... Did u see the pic above ? That was from a STIHL 441c , a chainsaw ... not saying this a common occurrence, however it simply would not have occurred had a screw-in cap been used ! In fact my 064 from the early 90’s has the original screw-in caps and short of “losing one” most likely will last for decades

There was a recall on 461s with a certain serial # .... Did u see the pic above ? That was from a STIHL 441c , a chainsaw ... not saying this a common occurrence, however it simply would not have occurred had a screw-in cap been used ! In fact my 064 from the early 90’s has the original screw-in caps and short of “losing one” most likely will last for decades
The 461 looks like a leaky fuel line recall.

Yea, I saw your pic. Shit happens sometimes when dealing with plastic. You get a bad mold, and stuff breaks. Not really defending Stihl here, but I kind of expect it with plastic. If I broke one, I'd call it bad luck, and go buy another one. If it started being a trend, I'd get annoyed, and contact Stihl corporate.

The 461 looks like a leaky fuel line recall.

Yea, I saw your pic. Shit happens sometimes when dealing with plastic. You get a bad mold, and stuff breaks. Not really defending Stihl here, but I kind of expect it with plastic. If I broke one, I'd call it bad luck, and go buy another one. If it started being a trend, I'd get annoyed, and contact Stihl corporate.
Tbh , that’s the first one that broke , just saying if one were in a compromising position and it decided to grenade the outcome could be most unpleasant at best or perhaps dangerous at worst

I don't disagree. If I were a pro, I'd keep a couple spares on hand just in case. I've had screw caps get leaky on me, though I suspect that was from corn gas, which I don't use anymore. For professional work, I try to maintain fault tolerance. If it's fairly cheap and light, I'll go ahead and stock it just in case. Sometimes I never need the thing I've carried for years, but that one time it saves your ass, makes it all worthwhile.

Have you ever had a perfectly fine looking flippy cap that fails to function properly? And no it is not operator error.

Yep...last week. I had just filled it with oil and purposefully and with focus looked at the flippy oil cap as I handled it and replaced it.

All seemed right...place over hole, rotate til it dropped down into its groove, rotate more until it was settled and then flipped the cap down flush/tight. I walked 4 steps to the limb to be cut, cut it, set saw down and 4 steps back to the trailer...it took that long for the oil that drenched my right pants leg to soak thru so that I knew the pooch was screwed. I dried it the best I could with a rag but that's pretty useless...worked the rest of the day with an oily leg. I checked the cap...still looked fine...re-filled saw...reset the cap. Worked fine.

I still don't understand how the frack it fell out when I deliberately made sure it was secure. Am I crazy, incompetent or what? OK...big opening there, I know.

Murphy, back " Then" you just went on and on and on and on.........................ad nauseum, about how you were the greatest treeman to ever walk the planet,while repeatedly insulting enough members that Butch banned you 2 or 3 times.

After he died, you suddenly came out of the closet as a tin foil hatter, started carpet bombing the forum with new threads about how " They are out to get you" and repeatedly calling those of us, who got a healthy laugh out of reading the idiotic stuff you believe in, sheep or worse.

Do you honestly believe that Butch, had he been alive, would have allowed you to go on like that?

Last edited:
I love the flippy cap thing.
Never in history have so many voluntarily admitted to being hamfisted, clumsy and having two left hands without opposing thumbs.

Guys, the folks in my logging team probably run saws more hours than 99% of the members here, and they love the flippy caps.

See, it is also possible to write abrasive, insulting posts, even though Carl has killed the political thread. :D

See, it is also possible to write abrasive, insulting posts, even though Carl has killed the political thread. :D

So the problem isn’t him starting new threads in a forum, or the forum... who can identify the problem?

Thanks, missed that one.
I still remove a shitload of typos from every post, before posting, and delete a few after.
My 3 first fingers on the right hand, being without feeling, INSIST on hitting either 2 keys at once or none at all.
This was a case of the latter.

So the problem isn’t him starting new threads in a forum, or the forum... who can identify the problem?

It is ME!!!

Ban me and peace shall reign.

( So shall the tin foil hatters :lol:)

Carl, personally I blame it on Trump.
The divide et empera tecnique that he has used to turn the American people at each other's throats, seem to have infiltrated the 'House.
Sure the political threads have been rather unruly before, but nothing like after he got elected.
I'm not joking about that, it is what I truly believe.
We've always had our trolls, like " Bob", but they have had nothing to feed on like they do after Trump.

I can't honestly lay the blame for the fact, that someone has apparently told the tin foil hatters to go forth, multiply and subdue the Earth, on Trump, though.

I guess they just thrive in the kind of climate we have now.

But look back at the "good old times", were there that many trying to tell us that the lizard people reigns, the jews are out to get us and vaccinations will get you injected with microchips from Gates or Soros, making them able to control you?
Swat those, and it'll be better for the forum.

The " Divide et empera" was just for you BTW, us pseudo intellectuals, have to get our cheap thrills, when we can.:P

I don’t mind the flip top caps.

Many times the screw caps would get a hole in from the combi spanner being twisted a bit hard. Then they start leaking.

In fact looking back, I don’t mind either. My 660 has screw caps and every other saw has to the newer flip top caps.

Any working cap is a good one...as long as they aren't located right under the grip bar so you can't easily access them (like on my husky top-handle had :X)

Last edited:
The flippies give occasional trouble but overall I do OK with them. I had one recently that had to be "reset"...I didn't know that was even possible until @Marc-Antoine wrote about it (I think it was him). I keep a bag with extras in it for the saws...some are interchangeable between saw sizes apparently...according to my Stihl dealer. A missing/broken cap can shut down a job.

Its not that i have issues with screw type or flippy type. The guys on the ground sure can screw up either. The HO tight chains and caps probably piss me off the most though.
I guess I have a leg up on them. When doing plumbing, you learn to not over tighten. Too much torque can bust a piece of porcelain or crimp a compression washer and cause leaks. There is a sweet spot for everything. Best to learn it. Like tuning saws, sweet spot and starting temperment can be different on each one. Best know how to figure it out.
I have had flippy caps mechanisms completely fall apart in my hands. Best to have some spares.

I'm bad with overtightening stuff. I'm better when I've used something awhile to get a feel for them(like chainsaws), but my first approach is usually torque it til it comes apart :^/

I stay away from the politics and religion forum but one caught my attention and I was reading through it. No intention to reply. At the bottom it read "You have insufficient priveleges to reply here". I've not seen that before. It's on every thread in the politics and religion forum. Am I the only one who is getting this message? I'm in the Tribal Elders forum. I don't think I post controversial material. Definitely not to the extent that I see in those areas anyway. Just wondering. There are members who are steadily posting there so it may be just me.
Same thing - I stumbled across this thread looking for a way to contact admins to find out what was going on. Got no warnings about any particular post, just suddenly can't post or reply in P&R - same "insufficient privileges" notice.

Back