In-tree throwbag/line management

Anybody have any tricks for getting a line and bag you can't reach, in another branch or tree. I know the obvious solution of using a pole saw, but other tricks would be sweet to know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anybody have any tricks for getting a line and bag you can't reach, in another branch or tree. I know the obvious solution of using a pole saw, but other tricks would be sweet to know.

Baby grapple hook from New Tribe...cat's meow with several possible applications.

Check you Jerry B's line of videos some of what he can do with a throw line is no less than amazing. It will want to make you practice all day to get that good.

Jerry's demonstrations with a throw line are worth more than the price of the video alone. They inspired me to do much more with a throw line than I had ever thought of on my own.

Here's version 2.0. I followed Bearclaw's suggestion of using zip ties, cause I had some and didn't have small enough hose clamps on hand. Initially I set it up with a couple around the spine of the biner, but that seemed insecure as the ties could slip off the reel mounts. I added a couple to keep those from slipping, now I think it'll stay put.

Attachments

• fly reel throw bag 006.jpg
    fly reel throw bag 006.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 17
  • fly reel throw bag 007.jpg
    fly reel throw bag 007.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 17
  • fly reel throw bag 008.jpg
    fly reel throw bag 008.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 17
  • fly reel throw bag.jpg
    fly reel throw bag.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 18

Baby grapple hook from New Tribe...cat's meow with several possible applications.

Found this thread with a google search of gypoclimber.com...maybe it'll give you some ideas.

http://gypoclimber.com/showthread.php?11174-Throwline-trick-for-traversing

Well I got the fly reel in the mail today.
Nice light weight I found on Fleabay.
How much line does your set up hold Burnam? I loaded this with 1.8mm zing it and I maybe got 75 or 80 feet on it, possibly a little more but felt short of 100. I did not measure it for certain.. Just guessing.
I also thought I had some hose clamps the proper size in my shed... HA! Guess I'll pick some up when I run through town tomorrow.... :|:

Attachments

• IMG_0680.jpg
    IMG_0680.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0677.jpg
    IMG_0677.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 9
That is the reel thing, Stephan. Nice choice of reel for in the tree use. advancing ropes and setting rigging at short reaches. Great energy saver.

Securing the reel to the biner with ties is sweet, B. I never thought of that. Nice and clean, and good utility when you need it.

Yeah... I rethought it out and for short advancing, rigging and link to pull a line up or what not... 75-80 feet of zing it on a reel will be easier than this way I been at it... :lol:
Flacking line in a diddy bag in canopy SOX with a 1/2 life... :|:
Shhhhh I usually just drop it to Rob

:/:

Attachments

• IMG_0681.jpg
    IMG_0681.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0679.jpg
    IMG_0679.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 9
Hi Burnham this is my setup done by Anders. there is a swivel between the reel and the ring which I clip onto my caritool or other biner then there is a elastic from the ring to small carabiner which can be hooked onto the harness. reason for the elastic is if something happens and I drop the reel it`s not going to damage the reel or a groundie.

Attachments

• 2011 tønsbergvej 009.jpg
    2011 tønsbergvej 009.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 2011 tønsbergvej 010.jpg
    2011 tønsbergvej 010.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 13
I like the fly reel idea for in-tree use of a throw line. Can you just cast off the reel, or do you need to prestrip line before you throw?

Dave

I have to pre-strip mine, with the auto-rewind, there is no freespool.

I find that I can sometimes lay the cord carefully out, back and forth over a clean limb, from closer to me out toward the direction I want to toss, and it'll sometimes even feed out cleanly :lol:.

Just as often, I coil it in hand and pray :|:.

Thanks, Burnham. Thanks, Burnham.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.:) Has anyone tried using a casting reel?

Dave

There are two common sizes of the auto-wind fly reels:
a smaller capacity that holds about 50 feet of line
and the larger spool which holds about 75 ft (of the 1.75mm zing-it).

I keep my in-tree throw bag girthed on the spliced-eye end of the throwline and the grapple girth-hitched a few inches down the line so they are handy. Moss (Andrew Joslin) had a great video of his foot-mounted in-tree slingshot and a method for dangling the grapple midline and grabbing and returning the weighted end of a line for a traverse. Thought I had the link, but I can't seem to find it now.

I use a small tether to attach it to a caritool or 'biner, but I am inspired by Anders setup for Richard; a swivel and ring sounds like a great idea.

Reel01.jpg

Reel02.jpg

Back