In The News...

I gotta say, I was looking for some good close up pics of the stump. They need to stop over here to see how to properly document a tree felling.

Do you do that?
Umm... Am I missing something here? Sentence too short? Yes, I block a lot of web attributes, and one of the side effects is many times it blocks the javascript that hides content behind paywalls. If you want to know how, you really probably don't. I put a lot of work into web surfing. Every new page I open requires twiddling knobs to get what I want, and hopefully nothing I don't want. It tremendously adds to privacy, security, AND workload. The two main tools are NoScript blocking everything by default aside from what I have whitelisted, and ublock origin in medium mode, which blocks all third party content by default. I also have firefox block all third party cookies, and use CookieAutodelete to delete all cookies on tab close aside from the few I have whitelisted. That can be done using firefox's built in tools, but the addon makes it more convenient.

Umm... Am I missing something here? Sentence too short? Yes, I block a lot of web attributes, and one of the side effects is many times it blocks the javascript that hides content behind paywalls. If you want to know how, you really probably don't. I put a lot of work into web surfing. Every new page I open requires twiddling knobs to get what I want, and hopefully nothing I don't want. It tremendously adds to privacy, security, AND workload. The two main tools are NoScript blocking everything by default aside from what I have whitelisted, and ublock origin in medium mode, which blocks all third party content by default. I also have firefox block all third party cookies, and use CookieAutodelete to delete all cookies on tab close aside from the few I have whitelisted. That can be done using firefox's built in tools, but the addon makes it more convenient.

You seem like someone who who would appreciate a certain George Orwell novel haha I respect that. I'm just as cautious with my cookies and various other interweb identifiers. Better safe than sorry. When Google or Amazon, etc. because the world's overlords, and when governments begin using our data against us, I want my record to be as clean as possible.

215 Starlink Satellites Fall Back Onto Earth after a Coronal Mass Ejection from the Sun.

For perspective, there were a total of over 4,500 satellites prior to the crashes.

Last edited:
Oh, shit, I linked the wrong article and now I've lost the link from my clipboard. I don't know what to tell you. Let me try and find the right article.

Wait. Did I have like a Freudian slip? I swear to god I was just reading a headline that said "215 Starlink Satellites Lost to CME" or something like that. I can't find it now. The last geomagnetic event for Starlink was in 2022.

Sorry guys, I must be f*cking nuts or something.

Oh... I block a lot of scripts and stuff, so it ends up breaking a lot of paywalls. Maybe this works...

I wonder what junk scripts youtube runs that need blocking? Sometimes on my phone and desktop it frequently freezes regardless of quality and speed, though usually higher quality and faster playback cause more frequent freezing. I just wonder if youtube has some script that causes the freezing either intentionally or some resource hungry data collection every few seconds. It doesn't always happen, and happens even offline, but it's really annoying and makes no sense.

I wonder what junk scripts youtube runs that need blocking? Sometimes on my phone and desktop it frequently freezes regardless of quality and speed, though usually higher quality and faster playback cause more frequent freezing. I just wonder if youtube has some script that causes the freezing either intentionally or some resource hungry data collection every few seconds. It doesn't always happen, and happens even offline, but it's really annoying and makes no sense.
I highly doubt it. I've run YouTube through several ISPs at various speeds from various locations in the US and I've never had any issues. I'm not going to speculate on what's probably wrong with your computer because I'm not looking to send you down the wrong rabbit hole. I would suggest taking your 'puter to a trusted shop. Maybe you need a better graphics card, or more RAM, maybe a better router if your computer is far away from it, or a signal booster, or your GPU is finicky...maybe your internet needs an upgrade (if possible, select a higher speed). Look at me, I speculated after saying I wouldn't. Shame on me. *slaps self aggressively mutliple times and then cries*

I don't use youtube enough to notice poor performance, and if it's something I might want to watch more than once, I download it. What browser are you using? In the past, google has degraded performance on non chrome browsers. Dunno if that's still the case.

Youtube uses a fair amount of scripts, but most are necessary to run videos. Looks like doubleclick.net and google.com are the only ones I have blacklisted.

Back