In The News...

I just don't get it?? so they are trying to come up with some complicated system to track everybody's millage and then adjust the values to how clean your vehicle runs, doesn't taxing the fuel pretty much do all of that without any intrusion into anybodies privacy??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It seems wise that the more you use the system, the more you should pay.

Dunno how they can regulate it...

"pay mileage as well as a high fuel tax"

DING DING DING, Tell Jimster what's he's won Don...

Paul gets extra bonus points for "intrusion" and "privacy".

And Butch? Whuttah ya thinking?:P

I'm not for the mileage tax. Enough frigging waves and sensors and satellites and crap floating around already. I don't want my ride lojacked so I can be sent a invoice. Umm no thanks.

I'd bet only 1/4 of what they collect now goes towards roads and bridges. Where did that trillion in stimulus money go, you know, shovel ready jobs and all that..?

Our toll freeways were going to be free after so many years. They lied. Some concrete tunnel ceilings collapsed and a number of people died in a terrible way. Amazing they found the money to inspect and repair, all the time up to then skirting responsibility and public trust.

In BC we had a toll highway(toll to cover the 'costs') that to our governments credit they did remove the toll finally. Now it's free! I guess.

I guess that offering all those concessions was a way of encouraging people to flee to "freedom" plus a slap in the face for the Castro régime.

Seems logical rather than amazing Jim.

I just find it interesting that they are worried that the fun times will now end. Might be sent back regardless. Seems the people need us to be enemies. We are buddies now, so fack off!

Why on earth would anyone want to escape the paradise of Cuba?

Yes, calming down a bit, people lost their tits for a bit when it actually happened. The Remainers want another referendum (not going to happen) the brexiteers want to leave this afternoon (not going to happen)
The young blame the old, saying that their future is ruined because of bigoted older people, conveniently forgetting youth unemployment in Spain and Greece is 40%.
People are marching to protest about democracy, saying thick people shouldn't be allowed to have a say.
The two main parties have leadership battles in full swing.
Scotland is trying to secede, but Spain is blocking an easy joining of the EU for them to prevent Catalonia trying something similar.
All good fun.

And to answer your question, the market rebound has stopped a certain amount of panic.

I read some twitter comments from the young and celebrities. They were pissed that they lost. Saying it was not fair.

Thats the trouble with voting.

A miscarriage of democracy, unless they had won.

The rhetoric from the EU must be getting old by now. It seems leaders like Merkel are acting tough, but must be worried if not scared shitless.

Interesting about the unemployment figures and Spain.

I was wondering about Scotland. What possible argument could London use to convince them to stay, while not sounding hypocritical?

I would assume that there is a mutual need for Scotland to remain part of the UK, but who needs who more? Some Canadians were pro Quebexit (I just made up a neat word!) but it would seem that Canada needs Quebec. Their Olympics would suck without them!

As for Scotland, they voted to stay in a referendum two years ago, that, plus the fact that the EU won't countenance accepting them in the short term should buy five years.
By then the situation may have changed, there's only 5.25 million in Scotland, things can change fast in such a small political fishpond.
We're all learning new things about democracy over here, some of it unpleasant, like you say, it's great till you lose.
The other European leaders (with the exception of Merkel who's been conciliatory) have been bullish, but not batshit about it.
I think it will be, as a political commentator said, not as good as some hoped, but not as bad as some feared.

Cool. Thanks for the explanation Mick.

One thing, I was really disappointed by the campaigning that was done by our government. Especially when Obama said that the UK would be at the back of the line in trade talks with us. Maybe it was just political bullshit.....

I say bring on the talks, lets trade some shit!

It went down very badly here, counterproductive even. People reacted badly to foreign leaders sticking their noses in.

Some of that has emboldened the Trump movement as well.

Honestly, if the world does not want Trump, they should stop trying to be so clever on the internet about him. You never get in between an Indian couple throwing punches. They will both turn on you.

Does the EU now need to try and make an example of the UK? Make the thought of leaving so unpleasant that no one would dare dream of it?

Heck, something like that might galvanize the Brits even more.

Interesting times indeed.

Back