Husky 394 vs Stihl

cory

Tree House enthusiast
I am about fed up with my 394. It runs and cuts great and the air filter literally never needs cleaning, but it starts hard when it is warm and it leaks oil like an old Harley. Today I went through a tank and a half of fuel cutting up some big logs, and it wouldn't start when I refueled the 2nd time. You know when a saw should start and it just doesn't and you keep pulling and pulling?? Feels like you're gonna rip out your guts pulling on that sucker.

So I'm thinking of trading it off and getting the Stilh equivilent, is that a 660? Based on that Stihl vs Husky thread here a couple years ago, I concluded Stihl may be better cuz they are still family owned, not a giant conglomerate like Husky.

I've run Huskys for probably 30 years and I now think that, except for the 272 and 372 which are legendarily good, Huskys are junk. My 394 is junk, my new husky blower is complete junk, the climbing saws are utter junk, all junk but the 372.

Switching will involve the hassle of all the Husky bars I have will be useless but hopefully the chain will be interchangeable.

So you Stihl folk out there, will I like the 660??

I like the two I have and I cut a LOT of wood each year!

Sorry Ed, I'm closer. He'll have to send it to me.:P

I think the 394 is comparable to the 066. Not sure about the 660, I've heard they aren't the same as the 066. What are you going to do with the 394?:/:

The comparison of brands is an age old discussion. You're correct that most of the Huskys are junk. But then a lot of Stihls are junk as well. There are only a few Husky models I like, the 346xp, 372xp and the 395xp. I believe the performance is better than the comparable Stihls but I think the Stihls are more durable. On the other hand, think about how old your 394 is and how much money it has made you. If it is 10-15 years old and the carb is a bit gummy, and you want to replace the saw over it, then can you really call the saw 'junk'?

Probabley a new set of crank seals and a carb rebuild would fix the thing .That's a hell of a sight cheaper than a new 660 .

I can't diagnose the thing over the net but usually when they won't start warm it's either an air leak or the ignition modual goes funky after it gets hot .

Probabley a new set of crank seals and a carb rebuild would fix the thing .That's a hell of a sight cheaper than a new 660 .

I can't diagnose the thing over the net but usually when they won't start warm it's either an air leak or the ignition modual goes funky after it gets hot .

That would be my guess. Leaning more to the ignition to start with.

I'll start the bidding for that worn out, broken old saw at $5:/: I'll give it a great home next to my current 394.

Now if the modual is suspect it might not be a bad idea to blow all that crud out and around the fins . The damned stuff gets packed in where you can't see it with all the shrouding and holds the heat in .

Then prior to refueling the saw give it a little cool down by running it about 1/4-1/3 throttle for 30 seconds or so .If that helps starting it would point to the modual .The damned circuitry within a solid state modual doesn't like built up heat and will cause you fits .

In my way of thinking if the saw runs fine other than starting hot it would be better to find what the problem is rather than lay out a thousand bucks for a new 660 Stihl .

i like my husky's, they havent broken as easily as my stihl's did, i admit youre right about the blowers, might as well be an echo......but the new climbing saw is a huge improvement and i love it, otherwise im with skwerl 346 372 and my bad ass 395 all kick ass, ok the 3120 is too heavy,

i had an o66 and i loved it, but this 395 i like better

I agree , bought my 395 new a couple yrs ago and just the other day I fired up my old reliable almost 20 yr old 066 for for the hell of it. The 066 still has tons of compression and still tuned its best,but feels really dated compared to the quicker and smoother 395 Husky.
The funny thing is the 394/395 design is older then the 066 Stihl, the 394 came out in 1991 and the 066 in 1992. Husky got the design right the first time even though it doesn't have the side chain tensioner.. Stihl and Husky are due for a update in these big saws.

Willard.

The comparison of brands is an age old discussion. You're correct that most of the Huskys are junk. But then a lot of Stihls are junk as well. There are only a few Husky models I like, the 346xp, 372xp and the 395xp. I believe the performance is better than the comparable Stihls but I think the Stihls are more durable.
What Brian said. Word perfect, I have the same models.

i like my husky's, they havent broken as easily as my stihl's did, i admit youre right about the blowers, might as well be an echo......but the new climbing saw is a huge improvement and i love it, otherwise im with skwerl 346 372 and my bad ass 395 all kick ass, ok the 3120 is too heavy,

The blowers are weak but the motor is a Kawasaki so I blame them. Yes the 3120 is a boat anchor but she does not slow down for anything.

394XP 5.7 94 7.1hp 17.4lb pho 3/4 1.5 2,500 12,500

066 5.59 91.6 6.8hp 16.5lb pho 1 1 2,500 13,000

395XP 5.7 93.6 7.1hp 17.4lb pho - - 2,500 12,500

660 5.6 91.6 7.0hp 16.5lb pho - - 2,500 13,000

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, I always thought the 3120 was like carrying around a sledgehammer to drive a nail.

So, thanks all for the great input. I was p.o.'d @ that saw yesterday... Today it started after 3 or 4 pulls, I called the dealer about the problem and he agreed with the TH diagnosis of ignition module problem. Gonna pick up a new module on Monday.

Tree House rocks.

Mine says mag too. Never even thought to look at the difference.

Wonder how much the WV woods port added. All I know it must have been good enough because another porter wanted it to get the numbers out of it to use.

When it comes time to rebuild it, I will probably have it ported. It's probably about due for a carb cleaning and such. Runs fine. Just evdery couple of years it just seems it is time. The saw does not really see as many hours as the more mid range saws I have. Only really need it for the bigger wood and making up time :D

Cory, Ill give you my honest opinion. You are mad at an old saw. You cant be. There's a million old 066's out there that do just what your 394 is doing to you. The brand isnt the problem there. Time and use is. Stihl is certainly a family owned company, but dont think family pride is the name of their game. Money is. Same as Husky. The brand new 660's are not what the older 066's were. The new 395's however, pound like they always did. Im entirely bashing Stihl. Ive had piles of them. BUT, I do feel from the bottom of my heart that they are going down hill.

Oh wait, I just went back and read that you had the problem potentially solved. Best wishes boss.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cory, Ill give you my honest opinion. You are mad at an old saw. You cant be.

Good post! I hear ya. Yeah I hope the new ignition solves the prob because the saw does cut well.

I appreciate you sharing your perspective on the Stihl vs Husky thing.

FWIW, the 660 is not really up to the same level of performance of the older version, the 066. Many a cutter has been disappointed when they replaced a much loved 066 with a 660 and felt let down. The new 660 just doesn't have as much ooomph as a good running 066.

With some mods, it's another story, of course.

My lovely old, lightly used stock 064 walks all over a stock 660. Just sayin'.

Back