Husky 394 vs Stihl

So true but so frustrating .Tom's 660 resides in my shed most of the time .It's a weaker brother than the 066 he did have that was stolen .

They've managed to bind the exhaust up so badly it's a wonder they can breathe at all .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Al Smith, et al, you guys rock!!!! I put in a new ignition module last week, ran it today cutting up some big stuff and it cut great and started great when hot. Thank you so much for your help.

TREEHOUSE ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

That really is one of Husky's best saws. I love my 395 and I love the envious looks I get from all the Stihl 660 owners whenever I use it on a job. :lol:

I'm working on getting another as we speak. Clean, one owner, only ridden to church on Sundays by a little old lady.:/:

Taking apart the saw a bit to install the module, I was reminded how impressive it is that the saw stays pretty clean inside. Obviously, most all chainsaws get loaded up with oily sawdust over time, sometimes it seems like they weigh an extra pound from all the gunk. With the 394, I have literally never cleaned the air cleaner- I've tried a few times but there was nothing to clean from it. The whole area holding the carb and air cleaner is clean. Even the side cover for the bar and chain stays basically clean- nothing to scrape or clean out. Seems like a well engineered saw that stays pretty free of debris in addition to cutting well.

Ha, look at me- ready to junk the saw 3 weeks ago, now raving about it's character...

hehehe!

As long as you feed it, take it for a walk once and awhile, and rub it's belly. Huskies like attention but don't hold a grudge if they sit for a piece.

From what little I've seen it's the design of the transfer ports where Husky has it over Stihl .

The only two larger Huskies I have in my catche are older models .Toms' 281 and my 2100 .Alhough they have some age on them they as a general rule are head and shoulders above other saws in their size range .

Husqvarna never had good dealer support in this area and that's the biggest reason I know so little about them because they are few .Just the way it's worked out .

So my 372 is acting up now. Runs great and cuts great but takes 4 or 5 pulls to restart when it is warm, instead of 1 pull. Anyone know if it has an ignition module like the 394 that might need replacing to get it starting easily/properly?

Have your ground man hold the plug in his hand with his pinky on the cylinder. Then give it a pull. If he calls you names and tells you where to go, then it has spark.

ok, i will, that would be a nice easy fix

My friend actually had a guy hold on to the plug wire and told the guy the first thing you do is check for spark. He gave the cord a pull and according to the reaction it had good spark. The guy doesn't trust him when any electricity is involved, imagine.

Um, whether I decide to jolt someone or not, y'all are saying I might have spark enough for it to run a cut well but not strong enough spark for it to start well?

Cory, if the coil is going out, it will often not put out a sufficient spark to start when it is hot. Cold starting can be lesser a problem. If it doesn't start when hot, check the spark while it is still hot. No spark or a weak one can tell you that the coil is going bad. Sometimes it will run ok, sometimes it will quit.

is the coil the same thing as the ignition module?

Yes, some older type saws also had a set of points separate from the coil, but that goes back quite a few years. For the heck of it, check your gap between the module and flywheel too.

Lay the spark plug on the cylinder head for a ground with plug wire/boot attached, pull starter rope briskly a few times.

Blue spark is excellent, orange spark not so good.

thankyou for the detail, will test it soon

Back