How'd it go today?

Did some grading stakeout next to the farm, and I noticed a fallen cherry in the corner of the woods. Renoticed actually. It was there last year when I cut up a bunch of other cherry for firewood, but I forgot about it. I burned a cord of it this past season, and really liked it, so I dragged the tree into the field, and got it bucked to firewood lengths. I'd have done some splitting, but my back's still a little weird. It feels ok mostly, but I'll get a little tinge of it getting ready to screw me over, so I didn't want to push it. I'm hoping to get some milling in Sunday, back permitting, and I can split/haul the cherry at my leisure. A bit less than a cord I think.

Cory basically had to go over wetland and stream identification and protocol. Spills as well. Somewhere they mentioned the bats and a few turtles we are to look out for. Same stuff as last year, With a few tweaks. The major one is stream crossings. Double timber mats with fabric in between and up the sides and toe boards to keep any mud from spilling off the sides.
AOC was basically that Kyle. Plus a lot of pipeline stuff that doesn’t pertain to the tree work part of it. I had to use a leak detector to find the gas leak and go through the proper controls. I’ve got a whole list of OQ’s that they want us to have now and will never be useful to us. Just another hoop to jump through to work for the utility.

Yeah the oq game is getting crazier and crazier every year. Oq is operator qualification btw, for people who haven't had to deal with this stuff yet. Aoc is "abnormal operating condition," and so to even step onto a pipeline row (right of way lol) you need to have a whole mess of oqs that say you can respond to and handle something going horribly awry. One of those things that sound like a great thing commonsense wise gets morphed into a tool to boss and control contractors by continuously updating and changing requirements so it shuts work down repeatedly making it a losing job. Certain gas companies are horrible about this, especially if they don't like a contractor for some reason.

It of course gets complicated by span of control issues (boss needs everything, and can cover some tasks), competent person training requirements, job hazard analysis paperwork, e.t.c. fun fun. One of the best ones i personally had to deal with was an inspector that told me i couldn't weld, in the middle of tie ins, because he didn't have a copy of my visual weld inspection oq. It wasn't an issue for the months i was a helper and then months as a welder, but when shit was hitting the fan that's when he tried to pull that shit. The welding inspector for the entire gas company got involved and said that my weld certs covered that and more, and to back off of me, so we could do our job. friggin' unreal.

Yup. It’s also a way to show that they have “trained personnel” on site
Some are basic and some are very advanced, like Kyle’s welding skills. There was an incident this past year in our state that has them under scrutiny so everything is going above and beyond what used to be required. I’m just along for the ride. If they want me to watch videos and take tests, so be it. I enjoy learning stuff anyhow.

Yesterday we got a lot of cabinet case parts cut out, dadoed, rabbeted, drilled for shelf support pins, pocket-holed, and ready for assembly. Using a pre-finished maple ply that is quite stable. Hard to find consistently decent stock without voids or warped in some way. At $70/sheet this has been great to work with so far.

Heading out shortly for a tool auction. Hill’s Auction in SE Pennsylvania has an annual two-day tool auction in April. They added this one-day as they got two large consignments (machine shop and electrical contractor).

There were only a few items I’m interested in at the preview yesterday but I’ll give it a few hours to see how prices are going for things. At 64 I really should be selling not buying random lots.

Last time I picked up a used twice, very clean 17” bandsaw. Sell for over $2000; with seller premium it cost me $990. Next on my list is a 20” planer and a wood lathe with at least a 14” throw, but there’s nothing big like that this time. A 1917 woodworker’s marking gauge and a whole toolbox full of end mills for the milling machine. A friend wants me to watch a belt sander and a router for him.

Attachments

• 36A0D93D-C901-4F5B-B7A1-5AB6D7221256.jpeg
    36A0D93D-C901-4F5B-B7A1-5AB6D7221256.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
Nice bandsaw.
I'm looking for one, my old one went the same way as most other machinery and books, when I thought I was going to follow my heart to Schweiz.

Landed a couple of good jobs today, that will help fill the vacuum left by the State stopping logging.

A small job felling big, select cut, Doug fir.
Nice work and should really be good for the apprentice. Apprentices seem to get a mite tired of the incessant beech logging month after month, so good to give him something else to kill.

The other one is a big job.
A really old Linden alley at a cute little castle has become too decrepit.
So about 25% of the trees need to be taken out and the rest topped at 40 feet high.
We'll be using a tracked 130 feet lift and forwarder plus some kind of loader/skid steer to keep the lift from being blocked of by wood.

With 90 trees I should have a chance of coming up with some kind of ground breaking, super secret, do not attempt this unless you are good enough, cut to dazzle y'all with!

Here is a video showing the castle, you can see the trees in the background Frydenlund slot – Frugt salg - https://frydenlundslot.dk/

I'll try to remember my camera when we go to work there in 2 weeks.

So I went to the tool auction today. No large planers or lathes. Got a mortise gauge made in 1917 by Marples of Sheffield, England. I emailed Roger Ball, a Marples tool expert and he told me based on the markings it was one that was produced in support of WW I !!!!! 103 years old. Still quite usable. Paid $60 for the box of tools it was in. Two others were bidding. One of them gave me $20 for the rest of what was in the box.

I also got a boxed set of six Starrett micrometers from 1” through 6” in very good condition for $180.

Attachments

• DCDDC23B-9429-458A-A76C-CFBC7AFF1A0A.jpeg
    DCDDC23B-9429-458A-A76C-CFBC7AFF1A0A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • A39AE648-18B4-49AE-A5BC-3E282A3EB30C.jpeg
    A39AE648-18B4-49AE-A5BC-3E282A3EB30C.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 13E951E4-492A-41D6-8310-2B99686F8863.jpeg
    13E951E4-492A-41D6-8310-2B99686F8863.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 4920929E-A893-491A-852F-0736BA199C1B.jpeg
    4920929E-A893-491A-852F-0736BA199C1B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
Got a callout needing divers yesterday late. Lined up some help and we did the deed today. Fellow had gone airborne into a lake...flying up a hill, road took a quick left and he did not know it. You can see where he left the road and his rear tires barely hit the dirt as he entered the water. The car surfed across the lake about 75 feet and started floating. He managed to escape thru the window, boots filled with 50 degree water but he still managed to swim to shore...lots of folks would have drowned. Call came thru our Dive Team EMA head but it wasn't really a Public Safety Dive situation...we basically did it as commercial divers. I enlisted my brother, Todd, and his small fishing boat and sonar to help find the car. It had been reported to us as 17' off shore and 19 feet deep. Depth was OK....17' was more like 75'. Anytime someone says they know exactly something is in water I get real skeptical. Todd found the boat within 10-15 minutes and then I did the wet work and my dive team buddy, John, did the shore-support work...tended my tether line, swapped my tank when I got low on air, etc. Todd was able to use his electric trolling motor to get the cable about 65 feet out. I had to walk/pull it along the bottom to get the next 10 feet to make it to the car...finally had to stand on the car and pull the cable to get it close enough to use. Had to use a 10' chain to hook the car to the big cable hook. It was upside down on the bottom. Finally managed to get a chain around a control arm and hook the J-hook into the wrecker's big cable hook. The car slid out real smooth thru the bud and up the bank. I am working on some video that shows some of the work (none underwater...visibility was from 0-2 feet at best.

Paulding car in Lake Narroway recovery  (3).jpg Paulding car in Lake Narroway recovery  (4).jpg Narroways picts by John  (1).jpg Paulding car in Lake Narroway recovery  (9).jpg Narroways picts by John  (4).jpg Narroways picts by John  (3).jpg Narroways picts by John  (5).jpg Paulding car in Lake Narroway recovery  (8).jpg Paulding car in Lake Narroway recovery  (11).jpg Narroways picts by John  (7).jpg

Last edited:
Back