How'd it go today?

Back on stream restoration #1. Got rained on. Getting tired of these jobs, and our client just won another one. Good for them, cause they were just about out of work. Things have gotten *very* competitive around here, and contractors are traveling a long way for bids. They left $275k on the table, but hopefully it'll work out for them. I'd be fine never doing another stream restoration again.

Scheduled a (most certainly not bucket-accessible) view-enhancement pruning bid in a waterfront neighborhood, on recommendation from a neighbor where I did a 10 tree removal job in August. Lucrative neighborhood.

Another job secured with an existing customer, a mile through the woods as the crow flies, 4-5 mile drive. More work to come.

Scheduled a (most certainly not bucket-accessible) view-enhancement pruning bid in a waterfront neighborhood, on recommendation from a neighbor where I did a 10 tree removal job in August. Lucrative neighborhood.

Another job secured with an existing customer, a mile through the woods as the crow flies, 4-5 mile drive. More work to come.

Aww, poor fella. It's this ole fart that needs a bucket......you, young'un? Nah!! :P8):walk::dude:

The boss attended an annual contractor meeting yesterday and toward the end someone walked in and said all projects in the state are being shut down immediately and indefinitely. Al contractors were to call their crews, have them button up, and go home. Kinda weird. Had a lot of people worried. At 4:30 the office received an email apologizing for the confusion but the tree clearing was exempt from this shut down. We still have no idea what is going on but we went back to work today. Noticed all our inspectors had shiny new hard hats and bright new vests on. Played in the rain all day and we have a nice muddy mess going on.
I’ll be getting the kids to bed here soon and gonna try to burn the chill out with a long hot shower.

Took a half dead cherry down in the drizzly rain today. Once the ground dries and firms up a bit I’ll haul the wood. Raking in the wet is a drag; literally.

He just got engaged... literally I was like oh Rad... Hop in the truck for a chat.... broke my heart.

Yeah... planning on laying off my main guy (he already knows) in June...

Yeah... huge downshift with City and just cant maintain this drive at this pace for much longer... it's been the longest 4 year heavy stricnine acid trip ever... I only get paid for 8... always work 12's... never paid OT... I can work for a municipal and make 150% of my take home now and be a zombie... I'm tripping right now. Employees...yeah that's a whole nother book.

I'm burnt on selling treework.
Burnt on having employees, God Bless them.
Burnt on living/working in metro SF city.

I know it's a blessing but Damn it takes a strong constitution to line up work everyday for everybody.

I really don't mind treework... I only accidentally started a tree business and found myself ahead of an avalanche.

General slow down in area and also our main City contract situation changed.... so I'm taking advantage and downshifting hard...

I think I'm having a meltdown in public.

Deva, good luck on the re-org.

My brother retired a 2005 F-550 mason dump, and he sold it to me for what the dealer wanted to give for trade in. That now tows the dump trailer and (hopefully sooner), the future mini-skid. Got that last night, went through the DMV headache this morning, and rolled it out today.

Ran into an old family friend I hadn't seen in 2 years last week, and while chatting, brought up the career change. She claimed "Wow, it;s like you just read my mind! Hubby and I have a big tree we're worried about." Saw them on Sunday, bid it middle of the road, and then they tacked on 2 prunes as well. We took own the 100+ ft ash today (amazingly no EAB), chipped the limbs and cut the 70 ft remainder of stick into rounds for loading tomorrow (started late and rain shortened the day; tree was big). All in all good, and then got home and an old estimate for a 2+ day job gave the green light, so were busy through Friday at least. Things are looking up (especially w/the insurance bills now showing up).

I wouldn't care for City stressors and a handful of young employees doing potentially deadly work amongst the public. No Thank You.

Reinvention is important.

Morph-ability of a tree biz is a great advantage of most tree businesses. Finish contracts at hand, contract new and different work around different staffing, and adjust equipment.

More Family Time 😁!

Hard choice Deva but sounds like the right one for you...quality of life is important

I wouldn't care for City stressors and a handful of young employees doing potentially deadly work amongst the public.

:drink:

I know it's a blessing but Damn it takes a strong constitution to line up work everyday for everybody.

It has been said that having a small business is a lot like having a pet dragon- they both need to be fed every day

I don't blame you Deva. Constantly going gets old fast, and you have the added stress of keeping other people busy too. I specifically chose time over money in my career. Didn't always work that way, but mostly. I could have just about doubled my money working more, and being a gypsy jumping company to company, but then there's no time, and I still wouldn't be rich. Not sure wealth is a good trade off for time anyway. Money's easier to get than time.

Back