How'd it go today?

I have my own terminator.
My dogs Thais seriously hates wasps.
I've spent the weekend splitting firewood.
There was a nest in the old part of the woodpile, and every time one of them would come out, Thais would kill it.
I didn't keep count but he probably got around 100 over the two days.

P1060774.JPG P1060776.JPG P1060780.JPG

I’ve seen dogs like that, waiting outside a wasps nest, killing one after another.

Igor hates them, will kill them if they invade his space, bees as well, has his technique off pat, bite ‘em, dump ‘em, watch them wriggling on the floor to be sure they’re disabled then go in for the kill.

He’s smart though, looks at hornets, but won’t frig with them, too risky.

I don't mean like a campfire - my bud would light something on fire and the Pit would stomp it out. He'd also retrieve big rocks tossed into a stream. Cool dog, kinda crazy!

Stig: Do you split your wood that small, 1) Because the trees were very small indeed. 2) To burn the wood with only one summer of "curing" on it. 3) Because the opening to your stove is very small indeed.

Beach? Birch? Maple? Mix? What?

View attachment 94892

I agree on doubling up on the toprope Sean. I've been thinking a lot about the best way to do that without having to tend either system by hand. Shunt? I've got one of the Petzl chest ascenders that I'd like to try with a weighted line, but not sure about a secondary. I guess I could tend the shunt just like the Akimbo and have kit for a simble RADS setup to unweight it. . . So many options! haha. Still just playing with ideas, winter is a long way off yet. ;)

Looking good!

If you have a Shunt, its basically a Gibbs ascender, like a flipline ascender, right?

Oh, ice. a prussic might not be so ideal.

another reason for dual ropes.

My day today involved mostly the television. Some tour de france, formula 1 race, BC Lions CFL football game, MLS soccer game and a canada vs usa rugby match. While folding laundry and poking around on the internet. Now an hour or two of work computing and its goodnight time!

Stig: Do you split your wood that small, 1) Because the trees were very small indeed. 2) To burn the wood with only one summer of "curing" on it. 3) Because the opening to your stove is very small indeed.

Beach? Birch? Maple? Mix? What?

I don't have a stove.
Central heating with a woodburning furnace.
That is the size that gives the best, cleanest burn in my furnace.
Simple as that.

Beech with a little oak mixed in.
Beech is the preferred firewood here, but I'll burn any hardwood I can get my hands on.

We just happened to be logging in the woods behind my house this winter, so I had the forwarder drop 60 cubic meters off at my place.

Weather was dry enough that she could drive over my hayfield without leaving any tracks.
Saved me a ton of work:)

How do you deal with nosy neighbors who trespass and ask way too many questions? Latest one was on Saturday. A person who lives on the same street as a client would not get out of my face until I clearly told him to talk to the owner of the land if he had any question. The client did not even know the guy and was quite upset that someone trespassed hundreds of feet onto their property without even talking to them first.

Start with...

I'm sorry, the property owner must not have told you nobody is allowed on the worksite.

All business is private. I/ we don't discuss customers business. That would be unprofessional.

I need you to leave the jobsite so I can go back to what I was working on, please.

Very good advice so far. Keep them coming. Cone and tape is a good physical barrier. I am always baffled by people trespassing.

Buncha lawyer-happy wackos are probably hoping to get smacked with a branch and fatten their bank account.

Back