How'd it go today?

I suppose it won't take long.

In the Negev desert early 80s working on a farm, I was working with a guy with a backhoe who was digging holes for a date plantation. His dog, an English Rough Collie (like lassie) was with us. This dog was legend on the Moshav, brave and intelligent, we all loved it.
Anyway through the heat haze we saw these two animals loping (it's the right word for what they do, moving at reasonable speed effortlessly) in a straight line towards us, they came to within 10 yards of us, stopped and for a few seconds looked at us with a bored, disinterested way, totally unafraid, before starting off again, in a straight line into the distance.
I was absolutely thrilled, the dog, however, was hiding under the backhoe practically shitting itself with fear.

Just in case anyone is in any doubt.....I was relating a story I had referred to earlier in the thread.

The Negev desert is in Israel and the creatures were wolves. I assumed Butch knew that and was joking, then it got surreal.

Surreal is good.
We always used to tell American tourists that they had to watch out for roaming polar bears in Copenhagen when visiting during the winter.

That was before global warming, of course.

Today I had a spruce to remove. Only problem was the previous contractors had topped it and left the long side branches over the house roof. This work was done around 2 years ago and now the side branches were searching for light and started growing vertically. only one way to deal with this and get my shimmey on, if you know what I mean ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20160211_113456.jpg
    IMG_20160211_113456.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 51
Hahaha. I wasn't paying much attention. I think I skipped right over that part.

I guess I wanted the story to be true, a bit, coupled with not paying attention/ critical thinking.

haha

I don't like the shimmy either. You got it done. Nice work Jake.

We got the truck stuck. Not quite frozen enough. Waiting on another truck to show up and give us a tug

Heater is warmer than outside but not gonna burn you out if you know what I mean. Didn't take to much to get it out. Had one of the pickups come out and plow the snow off for a couple days worth of work so we should be good after tonight.
Stopped on the way back to the shop and got a case of bar oil and dropped off the 661. It's getting an upgraded coil. Didn't know that there was an issue but it's free so whatever. Now after finishing my daily maintenance and paperwork I can clock out and go home.

they came to within 10 yards of us, stopped and for a few seconds looked at us with a bored, disinterested way, totally unafraid, before starting off again, in a straight line into the distance.
I was absolutely thrilled, the dog, however, was hiding under the backhoe practically shitting itself with fear.

Very cool story, loved iti

I had one encounter with a creature that gave off the very same unconcerned, totally unafraid vibe as the wolves did- snorkeling in the caribbean ages ago, encountered a barracuda. The vibe was palpable through the 20' of water that separated us.

The "desert" doesn't sound very deserty, how is it farming is done there? What do you figure the wolves preyed on, deer or other ungulates?

since it finally got cold i've been in the woods doing TSI (killing buckthorn/box elder and the like)
busted out my old s10 and finally threw a set of chains on it.

this is the 1st time in forever that i've had chains on.
i love love love it.
straight into the woods

good times
i wish it was gonna be cold for the next two months.

Back