How'd it go today?

Normally I don't like them, but for this kind of climbing, they really shine.

I have an old pair of pole spurs and an ancient D ring linesmen belt my very first customer gave me about 20 years ago in exchange for some tree work. Broke myself in with that setup. Have a picture somewhere of my first climb.

Treebilly, I thought you worked for a tree service, do you have your own bucket also? Cool deal with your mechanic.

Yes Cory I do work for a company. I also do my own thing after hours and Saturdays. It's kinda hard to keep things straight when I'm on a forum like this. My " side work " is covered by a 2 mil. Policy and Uncle Sam gets his cut as I technically am a business. Doing our own thing full time is getting closer. Lots of things to consider for both me and my partner

Put the finishing touches on the bucket truck today and cleaned up the shop a bit. Guy finally brought the 250XP out at 4:00 pm. Did the business stuff and put her in the shop. Made a quick list of filters and a couple notes on a few things I want to address on it. It's in great shape. Just minor stuff to do. Think I'll enjoy the last few hours of the weekend now

It's not easy. I do keep a good business ethic with my boss and his company. I've never tried to take work from him and while on his dime I won't promote my side company. I get some confused looks when we've both bid on the same job, he gets it, and then the home owner sees me doing it. At times working for him really bothers me. I own basically the same equipment, carry the proper insurance, and am definatly capable. It definatly hasn't been easy paying for all my equipment working basically one day a week.

Good on ya for being fair about it. When are you going to pull the trigger, Spring?

Probably not yet. I should've done it ten years ago. Before I had a wife and kids to worry about. I am trying to cut back on my hours at " work" to do more of my "side" work. I've got around 20 full days of side work lined up as of right now for this year. If I went full time that would be a month of work. The health insurance is the biggest issue I'm having with going out on my own.

I have an old pair of pole spurs and an ancient D ring linesmen belt my very first customer gave me about 20 years ago in exchange for some tree work. Broke myself in with that setup. Have a picture somewhere of my first climb.
Some motivation for treebilly starting out on his own.:)
Here's a pic of my first climb at the time I just finished a 20 year career logging as a hand faller, [notice the wedge in my back pocket and the hatchet].
I took a company transfer to the lumber division as a lumber grader. For sideline work I was cutting/selling firewood......then I discovered residential tree removal with alot more profit margin then firewood .

Last pic is the trailer I built to get my tree service business going from salvaged frame, axles and douglas fir lumber I salvaged from a Rollohome house trailer.
20150209_095832.jpg 20150209_095756.jpg

I like that trailer you made. I'm using a snow mobile trailer and built a flatbed on the short box plow truck, not the prettiest thing but it's all paid off and that's good for me. Been a real slow winter, one small commercial job and wrenching on trucks for people. Found me a little hobby in knife making, sold 2 so far and keeps me from going crazy doing nothing. I can't wait for warmer weather

new hobby

Here's one that isn't done yet. About 20 more hours till its perfect. Forged it out of 1095 carbon and hand filed and sanded. Handle is a piece of a beech tree I cut down

Attachments

• 1423702457921.jpg
    1423702457921.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 61
Nice! Looks a bit like 'the Tracker" blade byTom Brown. Where'd you get the metal and how did you rough out the shape?

Thanks.

It's similar. Just the parts that I found appealing then changed the handle to be more like that of the essee and innovated the guard. And a smaller price tag

John deere dealer came and picked it up. I guess they'd rather pay the big bucks. I did determine that it was the fuel shut off solenoid. You were right.

Still working storm cleanup here! Shit tons of spruce and juniper down. Worked on a cool big money property. Removed a bunch of trees, chipped storm damage and in the process of pruning 42 birch.

Two weeks into a massive clearance job and somebody finally calls the council, council guy shows up, reluctantly and weakly shakes my hand then stops all my work on the site, it turns out the developer has not signed a certain form which really is just a formality, so this guy has halted a multi million pound development because he's a jobs worth dick.

I hope he gets into trouble but I expect not.

Last day of a 3 day job today. Mostly clean up. Highlight will be falling this big log across the lawn. We are going to try and get a big mound if wood chip in there or its going to hit hard. Ground us very soft and wet this time if year. The logs about 65 ft I'd say. Maybe 8 ton or more. Not a tight, tight shot but still has too be right.
20150212_073901.jpg

How long before you're back on it?

I don't know, the building company's legal team is on it.

Hard day today, very a awkward Willow with a horrible drag, we did have Mikes SmartWinch on the job though which made it a little easier.

Attachments

• IMG_0964[1].jpg
    IMG_0964[1].jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0970[1].jpg
    IMG_0970[1].jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 59
Went to business network meeting, estimated one job, loaded and delivered one cord firewood by hand( loader a no go at 10°) for regular customer. Home next to fire now, -20 wind chill now, to cold to be out anymore. Tomorrow looks worse. Anyone else hibernating?

Back