How'd it go today?

Lotta rain and wind. More tomorrow. Paperwork. Deep tissue massage. 1-2 month overdue haircut, check. Beer and a bite with a fellow-workaholic friend. Flirt with a younger than me woman at Trader Joe's. I didn't catch it, but I think she called me by name on the way out. I don't wear a nametag. A good sign.

If you were an ancient Egyptian, that would be some serious bad karma, Jim!

I just learned of the problem a couple of days ago. So I began reading about how ivermectin can kill dung beetles.

It might not be so bad to switch. The wormer would be incorporated into the mineral that they eat. It would be nice to not have to get them into the corral to treat them for worms.

Dung beetles are cool, apparently they use the stars to navigate.

Quite the interesting tidbit of information Jim.
I spent 8 hrs in a Camilla garden pruning. So many variations it made my mind spin. Air layered about 40 for my own yard as well I'll get when ready. Fun change from trees.

All things heavenly rarify to air. Trèès pŕoduce that heavenly air. Breathe air and take care.

Jim I saw that article re dung beetles using the milky way to navigate, I can post it you want. Which is crazier, their navigation system or that humans figured it out??? Why are dung beetles beneficial to you?

That would be cool Cory.

Dung beetles are good for us because they bury and eat so much of our cattle's manure. The pile of dung a cow leaves is pretty impressive, and over time the stocking capacity of a pasture can decrease because there is too much shit and not enough grass. Manure is good fertilizer but it needs spread out to work well. The beetles incorporate the manure into the soil and spread it about. They aerate the soil as well, by digging in it to bury dung.

The beetles are helpful in breaking the biting fly cycle as well. Flies are attracted to manure, and too much of it makes for great fly habitat. The flies can cause thousands of dollars in loss to a rancher through lost production in the cows.
When beetles are plentiful the manure load is lessened and the number of flies decreases.

They are the damnedest bug. It is fascinating to watch one work, rolling a ball of manure across the prairie. You would not think he has a plan, but apparently he does, just stay the shit out of his way!

Its weird, but I kinda admire the little critters. Hard workers, dedicated, determined.

When you roll your ball of shit into a rock, just go around it.

When I ran "cattle" here, I switched to feeding them large doses of powdered, dried garlic against worms.
I am VERY much not into natural medicine, but that stuff really worked well.
It was fun to see them, first time I mixed the garlic powder into their feed and they came racing up to eat.
It took a while of going hungry before they decided that mediterranean cooking maybe wasn't so bad after all.

Probably be too expensive to use for someone with more than 6 head of cattle, though.

Because I lived for 30 years with a woman who believed passionately in it.

Got the flu.........................just dring this tea made from a thistle and it'll go away.
Ebola...............a footbath in an herb infusion will take care of that.

Get the picture.?

Because I lived for 30 years with a woman who believed passionately in it.

Got the flu.........................just dring this tea made from a thistle and it'll go away.
Ebola...............a footbath in an herb infusion will take care of that.

Get the picture.?

Chew this willow bark for a headache....

Back