How'd it go today?

Squish, I know English Elm, and what we have here as far as the local varieties. Both of those are very useful woods. English Elm in particular has an illustrious history over there for woodwork. A quick glance on the web about American Elm shows a wood with a lot of uses. Fire up your mill!

Yup. I hate grinding stumps.

Jay you're not familiar with American elm? What about the rest of you? I thought it was all over down there.

Dutch Elm Disease killed all the big ones around here back in the '60s. It still grows but dies out pretty young. I burn a lot for firewood.

It is quite strong but doesn't hold up to weather well. Makes a good trailer floor. It splits terrible due to the twisted up grain that makes it strong.

Been making some big (for me) purchases to help streamline our operation. Bought a 50 foot land roller and a 110 foot sprayer. Should save enough time and money to actually pay for themselves! I sold the idea to my wife and included the fact that we should have more time to spend at the lake if we get our work done faster. Never even got the boat out last year.

The faster I get my farm work done, the more time I get to cut trees down for the state this summer! Oh, and go to the lake too.

When are you going to be there? I'm only 20 minutes from them.

Not sure Dave. I'm still waiting to hear a yes on this tree. I'll have a crane on site for 6-8 hrs. That includes closing down Commercial st in Ptown as well. Not an easy sell to everyone involved. Rumor has it I may have a crazy lady handcuffed to the tree when I get there.
:crazy:

Taking down some big ass American elm for around here. Is the wood good for anything?

Dutch Elm Disease killed all the big ones around here back in the '60s. It still grows but dies out pretty young. I burn a lot for firewood.

It is quite strong but doesn't hold up to weather well. Makes a good trailer floor. It splits terrible due to the twisted up grain that makes it strong.

We still get into ones on occasion of about 3' max dia here before DED takes them.

Twisty/Radial grain, so the boards are a pain to dry. Warps quite bad if not stickered and strapped down.

The smaller ones we turn into firewood, burns close to white ash or soft maple.

Perfect quiet day only the hand saw and a stop in my way home at another old climbers house payed off. His near new 660 and a 056 for $600 stoked can't wait till tomorrow to test.
qy5u7uvu.jpg
Bid came in good for a huge Hackberry that has listed more than 7degrees in the past three weeks.

The elm. Nothing special but a decent double for here. Sliced and diced, no milling. Probably be part of the next burn pile, I've read it's hard to split and not that great for firewood. image.jpg

Today was productive. Wanted to get some stuff done with rain on the way.
Had some 65 plus foot pondos to put into tight lays. All beetle infested. Went out and dropped all three so Katy could come in behind me and butcher and burn them.
Then went back, got Rob and did two live oak mistletoe removals while he brushed out some poison oak.
HO expanded that job, so I have a lot of trees along a 1/4 mile drive way to do :D

Perfect quiet day only the hand saw and a stop in my way home at another old climbers house payed off. His near new 660 and a 056 for $600 stoked can't wait till tomorrow to test.
qy5u7uvu.jpg
Bid came in good for a huge Hackberry that has listed more than 7degrees in the past three weeks.

Score!

Pine, lodgepole 15.3 MBTU, ponderosa 14.8 MBTU, 2,400#'s per cord
Doug Fir 17.4 MBTU 2,805#'s per cord
Elm, American 18.4 MBTU 2,975#'s per cord

But with out a hyd splitter its a no go.

Last edited:
Did an aerial inspection and some minor pruning on a big Ficus this morning.
Nice tree... and very, very, expensive tree.

IMGP0592.jpg

IMGP0657.jpg

Not sure Dave. I'm still waiting to hear a yes on this tree. I'll have a crane on site for 6-8 hrs. That includes closing down Commercial st in Ptown as well. Not an easy sell to everyone involved. Rumor has it I may have a crazy lady handcuffed to the tree when I get there.
:crazy:

That's her problem. I bet she will uncuff her self lickety split if you get started with her cuffed to the tree.

Have to do yet another day of tree work without my mini. Disgusting. How I made it in business without one is a mystery. Cant wait for it to get out of the shop. Tree work is like cotton picking without on. Im going to steal my buddies mini excavator sunday night for a few days early next week. Im absolutely refusing to do a several day job manually.

Back