How'd it go today?

That's her problem. I bet she will uncuff her self lickety split if you get started with her cuffed to the tree.

One could always ring bark the far side of the tree while said protestor is still attached.

A company I used to work for removed a Beech that had a protestor camped in the canopy for 2 weeks. Unfortunately for him we arrived on the day he decided to come down and attend a dentist appointment! Didn't feel too good about the job personally, I think I would have walked if it was my job.

Elm is hard to split alright. That's the reason that in olden days they would make wagon or carriage wheel hubs out of it, or used for wooden gears at water powered mills. It also makes good chair seats, where the legs penetrate is resistant to splitting.

Have to do yet another day of tree work without my mini. Disgusting. How I made it in business without one is a mystery. Cant wait for it to get out of the shop. Tree work is like cotton picking without on. Im going to steal my buddies mini excavator sunday night for a few days early next week. Im absolutely refusing to do a several day job manually.

What was the problem Chris?

Have to do yet another day of tree work without my mini. Disgusting. How I made it in business without one is a mystery. Cant wait for it to get out of the shop. Tree work is like cotton picking without on. Im going to steal my buddies mini excavator sunday night for a few days early next week. Im absolutely refusing to do a several day job manually.
I leave it at he shop some days and say "we won't need it today, every thing is a short haul or drag". Keeps the appreciation level up so people don't abuse it,

I like Elm firewood. Unlike most other woods you can put one piece in by itself and it will burn fine. When it is standing dead it usually sheds all its bark and is seasoned. You can throw a big round on a bed of coals and get a good long burn out of it.

Pine, lodgepole 15.3 MBTU, ponderosa 14.8 MBTU, 2,400#'s per cord
Doug Fir 17.4 MBTU 2,805#'s per cord
Elm, American 18.4 MBTU 2,975#'s per cord

But with out a hyd splitter its a no go.

Thanks for that info. I had read somewhere it was poorer then that.

Well Justin I screwed reading that chart royally.
Gave you weight per cord.
Edited to add MBTU per cord

I'm visiting in Schweiz for an extended weekend. We went on a carriage trip as usual.
On the way home we passed a farm where they were harvesting asparagus and bought a few pounds.
We'll be gorging on steamed aspargus tonight:)
Life is good.

P1000538.JPG

Jim, I bet we agree on more things than we disagree about.

I'd forgotten about the national duty thing, good of you to remind me:)

Looks like a nice day Stig.

Mine has gone to hell in a hand basket.....

Woke up in the middle of the night to a flood in the kitchen.. Faucet supply line broke. Was slated to replace the faucet anyway. Turned off the water and went back to bed.
So I replace the faucet and the supply lines are not long enough. Ok.. just run into town for a couple of those and no worries. Then make it back home to take Seth to the shooting range for his 4H sharp shooter thing.
Start truck, go to shop... steam coming out of everywhere. busted fitting at the engine block.
So... NAPA has one thank the gods. I send a friend of ours after it with my card. Left a msg for her there to get an easy out as well.
Katy has the car and the other truck is still in the shop, so I have no wheels at present.
Seth needs to be at his deal at 2 and no reply from Katy that I texted.
Levi is going out the door to be with me and his siblings while I work on the truck.. I look down and his shoes are blown out completely ..
Why didn't a) any one tell me or b) why did mom go to a flower exchange in the park with out taking him to the store and get him some new shoes???
I mean, this has turned into a serious WTF day.
Hopefully some parts or a set of wheels show up sometime soon today.

Shit, Stephen. That almost made me feel bad about posting about the nice day, I'm having.
Living where you do, I can see where you're completely f'ed without a set of wheels.
One of the few setbacks about country living, IMO.
Hope you get on top of the situation, soon.

Would not been a problem had the shop working on the Datsun had it done this last week as they said they would :|:
And people wonder why I have at least 3 running vehicles :lol:
I need a friggen saddle today :lol: Make that horse go to work

That's what I was thinking Stephen. Mount up!

I've been multi-tasking it today. My wife is in a roping clinic all weekend so I was quoting while my daughter was at dance lessons. She had a friend spend the night so it was a pancake breakfast for them. Right now they're out at the barn shooting bow and arrows unsupervised.

just got back from playing my first gig on banjo in 35 years. Went OK & paid ok. Played about 18 songs. The other guys in the band were happier with my playing than I was, and the audience really seemed to like it.

Now on to learning all their secular material (about 60 songs). Been putting in a lot of hours on the instrument just trying to learn stuff in time. Have another show coming up in a couple weeks.

Also have to work up material for an album they are cutting fairly soon... man, a year of this and I might know what I'm doing on the thing...

Back