How'd it go today?

I used to be a only gloves for cold weather and welding. Got a sun allergy that makes my hands blister and itch. I used sun screen one summer. Decided light leather gloves were less bother. Actually got to liking them for the most part baling in the field. Saved some nicks and dings.

Still don't use them all the time for handling bales. When I get a piece of hay under my nail I kick myself.

The frost is gone, so we are back to planting trees.........and planting trees........and planting trees.......................and......................planting...............trees.
40000 down, another 100000 to go.
One good thing, it is piece work and since both my apprentices are good at it, they make about $10/hour over their normal pay.
That adds up over 3 months.

No real comment cause I think pollarding jobs looks kind of shitty anyway, unless they've been meticulously maintained as such. I'm also not the most qualified to ID a hack job, but that sure as hell looks like a hack job to me.

Spent the day buying stuff for the chipper. It never ends, does it? Got some harborfreight tools cause I want to keep a set of maintenance stuff with the chipper. I might get a toolbox eventually, but right now it's in an old work bag. I'm thinking I can lock the tools and a can of fuel in the hopper, and just remove them when it gets towed. Got hydraulic fluid, and now it's wait time til I get the stuff I ordered online. Got a triple set of matched locks. That way it'll only be one key to deal with. Also got some 1.5" bolts for the jetsled, and of course they're too short. I underestimated the plastic thickness. I'm not going out again, so I'll stop in next time I pass TSC.

Not as much fun as buying saws or climbing stuff :^D

Chippers are the bomb. Duh, I know, but yeah.

I am lucky enough to have a kick ass 18" chipper. One of my guys does sidework for a friend of his who has a 6" or 9", not sure which but he says chipping with it vs the 18" is a nightmare.

Not throwing any cold water on your purchase whatsoever. Point is, going from no chipper to a nice small chipper should be a game changer :rockhard:

Last edited:
Yea, I'd love one that can just about shove a whole tree in, but then you need the infrastructure to support it. I specifically wanted the 6" cause it's easy to deal with using small trucks, and can fit in small areas.

This is all still just a hobby for me. I originally got a bug up my ass for a chipper on that job next to the office I abandoned. So much shit to deal with, and being grossly underequipped to deal with it caused crushing despondence. A 6" chipper would have been amazing, and it would have been easier ripping down 28" trees to feed it than the nonsense I was doing, not to mention all the little stuff that the chipper was made for.

We'll see where it goes from here. Maybe some day I'll have a bunch of big stuff, but I'm getting a little old for that. Being light and nimble has it's own set of advantages.

Well, the dump charges about 15.00.
But her back pasture was wide open. Think Rob, the dingo and the church pastor had it handled in about 15 mins. Hole w as already dug. Dingo carried it out of the barn stall. No charge. But she paid for a full 4 hours work. So. About 65.00 of the days pay guessing. I offered to give her invoice a discount and she insisted.

I guess it should be clear that she was quite talkative (as usual). So that figure would include going and looking at the goat first thing in the morning. Consulting about the goat handling through the barn and thresholds. Where to bury the goat. And when her pastor would arrive to help bury the goat. He lives just down the street and showed up in his side by side about noon.

Last edited:
Third session at the dentist this week. Four usual sessions in one as previously. It was less stressful this time, but still far from being enjoyable. One advantage though, I got four new teeth.
One destroyed molar has to be extracted in january. Then after a while, it will be replaced as well as the two other ones already dug out. Deep digging and hearth moving like. Some artificial bone graft need to be done to fill the cavities, as there isn't enough bone left to hold the titanium roots. That will be fun !
I'm so dumb to have waited this long before handling the problem. Stupid.

Back