How'd it go today?

I have a harborfreight lithium jumpbox I originally got to run the gun at work, but now just sits in the truck. I've used it to jumpstart a vehicle twice now. I go into it expecting nothing, but both times it worked well and fast. I can carry it in my cargo pocket. Very pleased with the purchase. It was around $80, but I can't remember exactly.
I remember one of those jumps. I was admittedly skeptical that the little box would do so much even though you said you’d done it before.

I think I want one :).
I was stranded at the gas station one morning this summer due to a bad battery. Nobody had cables. I called a towing sevice, and they came by and jumped me with a jump pack and only asked for $25. I tipped heavily. When I was buying a new battery, I asked about this jump pack, and they guy highly recommended it, owning one himself. I haven't been disappointed.

I looked up the mill I saw today on 1858 & 1878 maps. It doesn't really show up on either. There's a grist mill on the 1878 map, but it's on the wrong side of the creek. Kind of hard reconciling roads from modern to old, but I'm pretty certain I'm in the right place. Error, omission, or does the mill predate 1858? Need to see if I can find older maps. Did I ever mention I love maps? :^D

edit:
and none of them show up on the 1901 quad sheet, though the cow path of a road It's on shows up.

Last edited:
Those little jump packs are cool, but the one i got has something messed up with it so it doesn't work anymore. So i broke down and got a cheaper one that is bigger and looks like the old school ones, but it's not actually a lead acid. It charges with a little phone charger, I like it because it's got the leads built in so you don't have to assemble it before you use it, you just clip and turn it on. I've seen the little ones jump a backhoe in cold weather, very impressive.

I looked up the mill I saw today on 1858 & 1878 maps. It doesn't really show up on either. There's a grist mill on the 1878 map, but it's on the wrong side of the creek. Kind of hard reconciling roads from modern to old, but I'm pretty certain I'm in the right place. Error, omission, or does the mill predate 1858? Need to see if I can find older maps. Did I ever mention I love maps? :^D

edit:
and none of them show up on the 1901 quad sheet, though the cow path of a road It's on shows up.
What area? I may know it

@Kaveman kingman tree. Easy flop I think but maybe spur n top first. View attachment 134299View attachment 134300
Climb up and take off the leads that overhang the house and fence. This will reduce weight on back lean, and give you clearance for the fence. Don't worry about the top unless it's gonna go into the roadway. If it is, just skin it out and flop a pole. Either way, you can use that pronounced belly to your advantage, just so long as you reduce backweight.

That said, I'm looking at two Google photos and talking out of my rectum. 🤪

@Dave Shepard I see your jump box is Shumacher...can you tell me the model? If you were going to get it again, would you choose that same one?

@lxskllr same questions re your HF unit?
This looks like the updated version of what I have...

Dunno if the specs are 1:1 with what I have, but it's in the ballpark, and very likely better.

I love gloves. One of the best parts of cool weather is getting to wear gloves. I'm always damaging my hands one way or another, and even light gloves do a lot to keep them protected.

I work by feel a lot, if things are flush and even, etc., threading things in by hand...I think I'm mentally very tactile. I feel like a cat with tape on it's feet with gloves on. Plus it's usually hot here, so they get sweaty and sticky. Then there's getting them off and on every time I need to use my phone or get my keys out of my pocket or whatever. I think I'm mostly in too much of a hurry for gloves. My hands are pretty thick skinned and calloused
:-D

As long as I don't cut myself enough to bleed and need a bandaid I usually don't even notice or mind. I do hate messing with bandages.

Last edited:
Back