How'd it go today?

call me a safety sally, but I probably wouldnt stand there, Brian

1695773810765.png

joking aside, glad you are OK, hope I dont flip my excavator any time soon, surprised I havent rolled my boxer, its not even rated for a side hill but ive had it close to 40 degrees before, its sketchy for sure

call me a safety sally, but I probably wouldnt stand there, Brian

View attachment 132470

joking aside, glad you are OK, hope I dont flip my excavator any time soon, surprised I havent rolled my boxer, its not even rated for a side hill but ive had it close to 40 degrees before, its sketchy for sure
The loader was very stable there after we got it back on its wheels. It was further up the hill where it was too steep. Since it is hydrostatic drive you can't tow or push it so it is staying right there until tomorrow when I will go through the process of getting it fired up again. Then I can move it off the hill (and finish the job).

The loader was very stable there after we got it back on its wheels. It was further up the hill where it was too steep. Since it is hydrostatic drive you can't tow or push it so it is staying right there until tomorrow when I will go through the process of getting it fired up again. Then I can move it off the hill (and finish the job).
makes sense
is there not a towing valve? everything ive seen thats a hydrostat has a valve that you open and itll freewheel the wheel motors, the G1200T I was looking at supposedly has that
since both my machines use hydraulic motors instead of a hydrostatic transmission im SOL when it comes to towing, either pull hydraulic hoses or drag it

makes sense
is there not a towing valve? everything ive seen thats a hydrostat has a valve that you open and itll freewheel the wheel motors, the G1200T I was looking at supposedly has that
since both my machines use hydraulic motors instead of a hydrostatic transmission im SOL when it comes to towing, either pull hydraulic hoses or drag it
You're correct, it has hydraulic motors and not a hydrostatic transmission. Avants are not towable in any way, shape or form.

You're correct, it has hydraulic motors and not a hydrostatic transmission. Avants are not towable in any way, shape or form.
damn, would have thought they would have some way

BUT that does mean you probably have a much more robust drive system, I feel a real hydraulic motor (direct or planetary drive) will last much longer that a hydrostatic transmisson
speaking of, just did the 50 hour final drive oil change on the kubota, hard to believe ive had it over a week and put 50 hours on it already!

@SkwerI Sorry to see the Avant like that, hope it’s ok today.
In hindsight what would you have done differently? Got the crew to stack better? Maybe proper cleated tyres so you could go up the hill and pick the stuff up?
Dare I say it, a rotating grapple?

Well I didn't have enough patience this morning. I didn't have all the tools I needed to pull the glow plugs so I decided to try and bump it over. It had sat 16 hours. When I hit the key it went "Thunk". An hour and a half later after pulling the glow plugs and clearing the cylinders I tried to start it and it wouldn't turn over.

Well I didn't have enough patience this morning. I didn't have all the tools I needed to pull the glow plugs so I decided to try and bump it over. It had sat 16 hours. When I hit the key it went "Thunk". An hour and a half later after pulling the glow plugs and clearing the cylinders I tried to start it and it wouldn't turn over.
I thought you might be being a bit optimistic.

Strange. On the DW SK800 mini skid, you lift a lever on each hydraulic pump to put it in snail pace tow mode. I would always forget how to operate that feature when I needed it.

Did the engine shut itself off or what? I tipped the mini once, being intentionally careless in hopes of maintaining better crew relations. I can't remember if we turned the switch off before the engine dies on it's own. It also locked when we tried to start it, but a day of sitting upright drained the cylinders of oil if I remember correctly. It still smoked for a few days after until I ran it hard for several hours one day to burn out all the oil.

I don't have a module like that on this Tecumseh, Stephen...but you are absolutely right about the ground issue being possible.

After much chasing of wires with ohm meter checking continuity, and other esoteric testing methods including wiggling, pulling, pushing, and insulation inspection requiring far too much disassembly, I am leaning towards the conclusion that I have an intermittent ignition coil failure.

I should get spark 100% of the time if all ignition and safety cutout grounds are disconnected from the coil and the coil is fully functional. That is not the case; it sometimes does and sometimes does not produce spark under that condition.

Ergo, faulty ignition coil. I'm sticking with that diagnosis...until I slap a new coil on it and it remains broke :). Fortunately, seems like I can get one without much grief and pretty cheap, maybe even under $20.
I did better than Brian :(...the replacement ignition coil arrived yesterday, was installed 10 minutes later, and the DR seems to be back to full operational status.

Strange. On the DW SK800 mini skid, you lift a lever on each hydraulic pump to put it in snail pace tow mode. I would always forget how to operate that feature when I needed it.

Did the engine shut itself off or what? I tipped the mini once, being intentionally careless in hopes of maintaining better crew relations. I can't remember if we turned the switch off before the engine dies on it's own. It also locked when we tried to start it, but a day of sitting upright drained the cylinders of oil if I remember correctly. It still smoked for a few days after until I ran it hard for several hours one day to burn out all the oil.
I have read enough horror stories online to know to immediately shut off the engine. I was reaching for the key as I was going over but couldn't get it. Had it shut off within a second or two of stopping. Unfortunately it was on its side for an hour before we got it upright. That's when all the oil drained into the cylinders.

@Maximalist The only children I have are fur children. Significantly less expensive, but the emotional attachment - in my opinion - is just as strong. My dogs definitely do not resemble the Mona Lisa, Although. my English Labrador retriever, Harry Winston, has had art made in his likeness as well...he's even created his own! Yes, he legitimately painted the *first image, small painting on the easel* with his paw by having someone apply paint and glitter into a bag filled with marbles and whatnot.

This post is supposed to be a bit of humor and also an excuse to show off my (fur) child in a similar fashion as Maximalist. The image of him with a sailor's hat is being displayed at our vet's office. They love him.

Attachments

• IMG_6871.jpg
    IMG_6871.jpg
    715.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0425.jpg
    IMG_0425.jpg
    459.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0422.jpg
    IMG_0422.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0235.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Still not sure your motor is junk Brian. After it’s loaded I’d pull the injectors again and suck the oil off the pistons again. We’ve had machines be left on their sides for many hours and we’re locked up that came back to life after this. They might not have been running good but they ran.

I could see maybe a bent connecting rod or valve? other than that it should still turn over as long as it isnt flooded with oil or diesel, pull the glow plugs and turn the fan BY HAND till fuel and oil stop spraying out the gp holes
then bump the starter 5-10 times, at that point if no terrible sounds were made, re install glowplugs and it should fire right up, will smoke for a bit but as long as nothing physically broke theres no reason it cant still run

I think that's a federal requirement. Four weeks for class A, or three weeks if you do ELDT online.
In another thread I discussed Australia and England requiring truck drivers to pass a practical test on securing a load. Based on training videos I see on YouTube includes using a rope and Trucker’s Hitch. Does US class A require this knot knowledge?

Back