How'd it go today?

What makes a walnut valuable? The old myth didn't come from nothing, but they don't really grow in ways that make premium wood. What I would say is forest grown with tight rings and a long way til the first branch, but they prefer a lot of light, and throw branches out early. Are the valuable ones the ones that persisted in unfavorable conditions and beat the odds?
I believe it’s just the coloration and grain structure that people find pleasing.

Yea, it's a good looking wood, but it's also a common tree. Where do the high dollar veneer grade trees come from. With most trees, I think they're old forest growth trees. That's against walnut's nature. IOW, what makes a walnut valuable? Some are very valuable, most are not.

Spendy. Do you know what these dimensions represent?

Dimensions: 30.5"x2"-7.25"x2.375"

There's an extra dimension in there I can't account for.

I've been working on my new (to me) truck, fixing and addressing everything I can find to get it right for me. Worked on installing toolboxes yesterday which went ok except for the $115 brackets from Buyers Products were not square! I was very careful measuring and drilling the truck frame to get them just right and exactly the same. Set the box up and one end was over an inch lower than the other. First I swapped brackets and then I ended up shimming with a piece of PT 1x6 lumber I had. I spray painted it black to hide it. The other side I measured the front edge of the bracket to the bed height instead of measuring against the truck frame.

Today I jacked up the front end to lube everything and pull the front wheels to check brake pads, etc. The truck pulls to the right and has a bad vibration so I assume one of the front tires is bad. I rotated the tires and then test drove it, the pull to the right is 90% gone. I didn't drive it at highway speeds as it's raining so I just went on about a mile loop.

I've been working on my new (to me) truck, fixing and addressing everything I can find to get it right for me. Worked on installing toolboxes yesterday which went ok except for the $115 brackets from Buyers Products were not square! I was very careful measuring and drilling the truck frame to get them just right and exactly the same. Set the box up and one end was over an inch lower than the other. First I swapped brackets and then I ended up shimming with a piece of PT 1x6 lumber I had. I spray painted it black to hide it. The other side I measured the front edge of the bracket to the bed height instead of measuring against the truck frame.

Today I jacked up the front end to lube everything and pull the front wheels to check brake pads, etc. The truck pulls to the right and has a bad vibration so I assume one of the front tires is bad. I rotated the tires and then test drove it, the pull to the right is 90% gone. I didn't drive it at highway speeds as it's raining so I just went on about a mile loop.

So much garbage on Amazon. A not too cheap Alaskan chainsaw knockoff mill was completely out of square. Sent 90% of it back for a full refund and bought Alaskan. I still sometimes try to selectively save some money. 50% of the time the product suits the purpose. The other 50% of the time it fails hopelessly. At least I can get my money back easily.

I have been very happy with Buyers Products items in the past. Their tool boxes are great, they don't leak and are a bargain for the price (if they don't get beat up in shipping). Them and Curt towing and hitch products are my top two brands for work stuff.

I have been very happy with Buyers Products items in the past. Their tool boxes are great, they don't leak and are a bargain for the price (if they don't get beat up in shipping). Them and Curt towing and hitch products are my top two brands for work stuff.
I’ll check out the Curt hitches. Gonna need something for when I get a trailer and wondered if there was a reasonable option for my part time endeavors. Thanks Brian!

I’ll check out the Curt hitches. Gonna need something for when I get a trailer and wondered if there was a reasonable option for my part time endeavors. Thanks Brian!
curt is all I use for pintle, I may or may not use them as an anchor to pull my 22000 pound bucket truck out of the mud every week

they are expensive but worth every penny

Good isn't cheap, good enough is cheap.

I have always used a moto my buddies dad said once: "how many times do you want to buy it". Buy cheap and buy often, buy quality and buy it once.
I haven't had any bad experiences with Buyers products, so far, but like any company mis-manufactured products can squirt by quality control. Bummer they were out of square give them a call maybe they will send you a new set.

Reactions: FJR
Good isn't cheap, good enough is cheap.

I have always used a moto my buddies dad said once: "how many times do you want to buy it". Buy cheap and buy often, buy quality and buy it once.
I haven't had any bad experiences with Buyers products, so far, but like any company mis-manufactured products can squirt by quality control. Bummer they were out of square give them a call maybe they will send you a new set.
Reminds me of "buy once cry once"

As hot as it has been all weekend, we tried to just make our commitments and stay near AC and/or water. Being a tourist stop, water can get right crowded .
Rivers arent safe right now for a swim. Too much flow.
So today we chilled at the house, then took my truck with AC to go see a movie in AC. Then, after the movie, headed up to Bass Lake so Katy could chill in the water and then we had a simple dinner at The Forks. Came home to AC. I imagine I'll have some ice creme in a bit.
20230716_161837.jpg 20230716_161904.jpg 20230716_161911.jpg 20230716_161914.jpg 20230716_161917.jpg 20230716_162740.jpg

Bummer Bermy. How old is it? That's getting close to the point I'd be thinking about buying a new machine. It bugs me paying for half a new machine, but only getting a quarter of one.

might want to adjust the valves since its apart
time to do that on my BR800, first post break-in adjustment, I just haven't done it
did pick up 2 jobs today tho, got a white pine all up in primaries for the morning, and this friday ive got a job with a whole bunch of stuff, prunes, removals, no climbing and the dude is having the chips blown into the woods, plus having a new driveway put in so we can get this one as dirty as we want!
this pine is being brought down to a log ~15ft tall and left, I dont have to cut anything that I cant chip AND they want the chips!

Jim, those blades on the machine, what are they called? Are they real sharp?

love seeing the little man practicing his shooting.

im supposed to go work this morning, weather app says its clear all day
I just heard thunder, small cell, I can leave now and sit it out on the job, or leave after it passes and probably have to pull my bucket truck out of the mud

of course we cant work if the lightning is within 10 miles, but since im working on primaries I cant risk lightning being even remotely close, powerlines are just a big antenna

Back